JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The difference is in how they're registered.
mechanically, a lower is a lower. the parts you put in it might be different, though.
the 100% info will be posted I'm sure, but my basic rule to keep myself out of trouble:
no pistol registered lowers with butt-stocks, and no rifle registered lowers with pistol length barrels.
As a broad generalization, yes the uppers will swap.

Physically there is NO difference. Legally the difference is the one can be built as a pistol the other can not.

If you build it into a pistol then you can later turn it into a rifle by adding a stock and a 16" + barrel. If you add just a stock to a gun with a barrel less then 16" by definition it becomes a SBR (short barreled rifle) which requires following NFA rules. SBR is ILLEGAL in WA.

If you built it as a rifle first then it will always be a rifle. It is ILLEGAL to build a pistol from a rifle.

So when you buy the lower,you need to tell the FFL what you will be building,correct?
And if you buy 2,don't confuse them?

Incorrect. A year or two ago the 4473 you fill out at your dealer has an "other" box along with the "handgun" and Long gun" box. Since a receiver does not meet the definition of either a rifle or a pistol how can it be sold as either?

With the new forms since they are not long guns they can not be sold to people under 21.

Once you put a stock and 16"+ barrel on then it is a rifle and after that it can never legally be a pistol. So at that point yes you need to know which one is which.

<broken link removed>

On page 2 read line 18, then on page 5 you can see how the ATF tells you to fill that out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top