JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The difference is in how they're registered.
mechanically, a lower is a lower. the parts you put in it might be different, though.
the 100% info will be posted I'm sure, but my basic rule to keep myself out of trouble:
no pistol registered lowers with butt-stocks, and no rifle registered lowers with pistol length barrels.
As a broad generalization, yes the uppers will swap.

Physically there is NO difference. Legally the difference is the one can be built as a pistol the other can not.

If you build it into a pistol then you can later turn it into a rifle by adding a stock and a 16" + barrel. If you add just a stock to a gun with a barrel less then 16" by definition it becomes a SBR (short barreled rifle) which requires following NFA rules. SBR is ILLEGAL in WA.

If you built it as a rifle first then it will always be a rifle. It is ILLEGAL to build a pistol from a rifle.

So when you buy the lower,you need to tell the FFL what you will be building,correct?
And if you buy 2,don't confuse them?

Incorrect. A year or two ago the 4473 you fill out at your dealer has an "other" box along with the "handgun" and Long gun" box. Since a receiver does not meet the definition of either a rifle or a pistol how can it be sold as either?

With the new forms since they are not long guns they can not be sold to people under 21.

Once you put a stock and 16"+ barrel on then it is a rifle and after that it can never legally be a pistol. So at that point yes you need to know which one is which.

<broken link removed>

On page 2 read line 18, then on page 5 you can see how the ATF tells you to fill that out.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top