JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm pretty much decided on getting an chambered to run 7.62 Nato, yet I'm wondering which is the best for battle-ruggedness, in comparison to an FAL or PTR91. Although I'd rather steer clear of those two because I do not have the time, patience or the desire to mess around with a rifle that is going to be picky with ammo or I have to do this or that to the flutes, etc. I would also prefer that magazines are reasonably cheap, i.e. a dollar to 20 bucks or less.

So what can someone do in my position, when on a budget of 1300?

When it comes to reliability, this is much more important to me than having a tack-driver. I don't expect to be hitting golf-balls at 600+, as I am nowhere near that level skill-wise.

I think you'd be very happy with a 308AR or an M14.

M14 is a battle proven design, but finding one for $1300 or less would be challenging

I am a fan of the AR308's (I have a Mega MaTen), but you'll be limited to a DPMS AP4 or a bushmaster 308 ORC/MOE to stay within $1300. The only battle Tested 308AR's that I'm aware of is the LMT308's or the Knights Armament, but those are quite a bit more than your budget.

FWIW the FAL's and HK's are battle proven and very rugged, though tough on brass.

Add a few hundred to your budget and buy a ArmaLite Infantry profile Carbine. ArmaLite has AR10's serving in the sand box with the Canadian military for the past few years. ArmaLite mags are priced within a few dollars of the SR25 Pmags. Price wise the DPMS may be tempting but you give up the forged 7175 upper, plus you well have a shorter AR15 RE with cut down AR15 buffer. If you add a grand to your budget the LMT MWS is a fine weapon.

I'd suggest keep saving your money to get what qualifies your wants (AR10, M1A), you're not too far away from the price range of decent examples, but for example, saying I want a battle proven 50 BMG for $2000 just isn't going to happen either.

You can get into a MEGA MA-TEN for that much. You will have a lower end barrel and handguard, but it can be done. You get to use $20 pmags and have a much wider selection of upgrade options in the future as MEGA is on the DPMS platform. Feel free to PM me if you want actual pricing. I would choose my MA-TEN over anything else on AR the market right now for cost and durability. Now if durability is your one only concern it is hard to beat an M14.

If you decide to build I have a 24in barrel, gas block and a CF handguard from a KAC SR25 Match that I'm looking to sell - I'll make you a darn reasonable deal on them too. Pretty sure these parts would work with a MA-TEN build.

If you aren't into building then I'd say save a few more dollars and get a decent Armalite.

I was going to build a ar10 awhile back but have decided against it. Alot of parts don't interchange between the dpms and the armalite, good mags are pricey, and the selection of parts that are out there are very small.

I look at it as the neighbors daughter, dam it's nice, but just the wrong thing for me.

Looked into this for a while and for the budget the best (from my research) is the DPMS AP4. You can accessorize with time and money but the barrel is what you want. Another biggie is the mags. Pmags for $19 here on the forum. They're a game changer. Put some good glass on there and you will be quite happy for your fiscal range.

If you decide to build I have a 24in barrel, gas block and a CF handguard from a KAC SR25 Match that I'm looking to sell - I'll make you a darn reasonable deal on them too. Pretty sure these parts would work with a MA-TEN build.

If you aren't into building then I'd say save a few more dollars and get a decent Armalite.

how much?

For price like that, you wouldn't get an AR10.

Larue OBR 7.62

Noveske N6

KAC

Would be the top choice.

PTR91 need some works done, to become a good rifle.

Another biggie is the mags. Pmags for $19 here on the forum. They're a game changer. Put some good glass on there and you will be quite happy for your fiscal range.

Pmags are $19, ArmaLite Gen II's are $25. A $6 difference in mag price. Pretty insignificant considering you are shooting $1 a round ammo from a $1300 rifle.

So what can someone do in my position, when on a budget of 1300?

You can buy a NIB ArmaLite AR10 with a life time warranty for under $1300. Big step up from the DPMS. You get a 7175 forged upper and a 7.62 size RE and buffer.

Armalite AR-10 AR10 - 308 10A4CBF - W/FA NIB : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
ARMALITE AR10 10A2CF 10A2 308 CAR Green : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

what are good magazines over bad ones? Magpul mags Pmags for the 308s and they seem to fit my DPMS LR308 just fine.

This is my setup right now. Including the rifle, DMS -1 x4 scope, PEPR mount and the Harris bipod equaled out to be about 1600 dollars in total.

It may not be battle tested or what not but I don't plan on shooting this thing pass 400 yards and fits my needs just fine. Haven't had a malfunction yet but I'm still in the "break in" period. has about 150 rounds both rapid fire and slow fire.

The P-Mags are GTG as are the KAC's (KAC's are big $'s) - both used in a KAC SR-25.

Another thing to consider when choosing a .308 AR platform: There are two different mag types being used in .308 AR's - They are NOT all interchangeable.
KAC type are used in rifles: KAC SR25, DPMS LR-308, LWRCI REPR, Larue Tactical OBR, Bushmaster 308 ORC, Lewis Machine & Tool MWS, Remington R-25, POF P-308, JP Enterprises LRP-07, G.A. Precision GAP-10, Les Baer 308 and MA-TEN.
Armalite type used in rifles: Armalite AR10, Noveske N6, RRA LAR-8.

As you can see the KAC type magazine now has the bigger following - including the major military contracts. I doubt AR-10 mag supply will be a problem but its something to consider.

Another thing to consider when choosing a .308 AR platform: There are two different mag types being used in .308 AR's - They are NOT all interchangeable.

Actually four, you forgot FAL and G3 mags. Both the SR25 and M14 (ArmaLite) mags are used in current military contract rifles so there well ever be any shortage. If you have to have plastic mags then the SR25 is the only option.

Actually four, you forgot FAL and G3 mags. Both the SR25 and M14 (ArmaLite) mags are used in current military contract rifles so there well ever be any shortage. If you have to have plastic mags then the SR25 is the only option.

Are there AR pattern rifles using FAL and G3 mags? I have been assuming the OP is using the term AR to mean AR-15 pattern rifle or variant and not as a generic description for assault rifle, perhaps I have assumed wrong.
Also I thought that M14 mags had to be modified to work in the AR-10, am I wrong on this?

Are there AR pattern rifles using FAL and G3 mags? I have been assuming the OP is using the term AR to mean AR-15 pattern rifle or variant and not as a generic description for assault rifle, perhaps I have assumed wrong.
Also I thought that M14 mags had to be modified to work in the AR-10, am I wrong on this?

Rock River LAR8 uses FAL mags

CMMG makes a lower that takes HK G3 mags

As for the AR-10 mags, you're right, they're modified M14 mags, and the factory mags are based on the same modification. Armalite made that move due to the assault ban (they originally used SR25 mags) so that all of the M14 mags grandfathered in would be available to modify for the AR10.

ive been thinking in the same line and if it was for just paper targets id go for a AR type but i was thinking battle rifle it was between two the M1A or a DSA FN fal and between the two i went with the fal reason there is lots of them mags are cheap and there like a ak as far as dependability there around 1500.00 but ive seen them for 1300.00

Rock River LAR8 uses FAL mags

CMMG makes a lower that takes HK G3 mags

As for the AR-10 mags, you're right, they're modified M14 mags, and the factory mags are based on the same modification. Armalite made that move due to the assault ban (they originally used SR25 mags) so that all of the M14 mags grandfathered in would be available to modify for the AR10.

Thanks for the corrections, I think that pretty well sums up the current state of .308 AR mag compatibility then.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top