JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
chrome lining barrels is used to extend barrel life for systems that experience sustained high rates of fire. FN uses m240 barrel blanks that are chrome lined for their precision rifles and they are extremely accurate.

twist rates: in theory the lower the number the heavier the projectile that can be pushed providing it stabilization thus accuracy.

If the barrel says that it is made of chrome molly steel, it will have a chrome lining. If it isnt, it will not have a chrome lining.

Seeing as how your barrel has the "CMV", which stands for,"chrome molly vanadium", on the barrel description, I think its safe to say that that specific barrel will have a chrome lining.

This is just what ive read though. So if I were you, I would try to google around and see if you could find a more definitive answer.

This isn't correct.

Barrels that are chrome lined tend to have CL stamped on them. The barrels that are chrome lined will have that under the description of the barrel. It costs more to chrome line barrels and marketing would be stupid to exclude that information about barrels.

Generally speaking, Colt and FN barrels tend to be the commonly chrome lined barrels. However, just check the description for chrome lining. Palmetto State Armory sells some chrome lined barrels that are marketed under their "premium cold hammer forged barrels". They're rebadged FN barrels and are very high quality. Some Daniel Defense and Bushmaster barrels are also chrome lined. You will typically pay a premium for chrome lined barrels and many chrome lined barrels are cold hammer forged. These are the barrels you want :cool:

I have had good luck with accuracy using FN CL barrels. I bought a 6.8 spc II complete upper with a melonited barrel from AR performance expecting great accuracy. Well after putting on an adjustable gas block to correct the way overgassed situation, it shot better but still was pretty finicky on ammo. About a year later a saw an ad for a 16" 6.8spc upper with an CHF FN double chrome lined barrel. It was cheap enough so I bought it. It shoots everything quite well and was consistently more accurate than the ARP upper for half the price. The ARP went down the road. I have since built uppers in 5.56 and 308 with FN cl barrels and have been quite pleased with their performance. They also are very easy to keep clean.

I have had good luck with accuracy using FN CL barrels. I bought a 6.8 spc II complete upper with a melonited barrel from AR performance expecting great accuracy. Well after putting on an adjustable gas block to correct the way overgassed situation, it shot better but still was pretty finicky on ammo. About a year later a saw an ad for a 16" 6.8spc upper with an CHF FN double chrome lined barrel. It was cheap enough so I bought it. It shoots everything quite well and was consistently more accurate than the ARP upper for half the price. The ARP went down the road. I have since built uppers in 5.56 and 308 with FN cl barrels and have been quite pleased with their performance. They also are very easy to keep clean.

Build tools not toys. Go for cold hammer forged chrome lined FN barrels :)

Build tools not toys. Go for cold hammer forged chrome lined FN barrels :)

I doubt 99 out of 100 guys could ever tell the difference or would ever abuse their rifle hard enough for it to matter. I have both. I have and have had CMV CHF, and SS. I can't tell a bit of difference.

For most guys, if they didn't read something from someone on the internet, they would go on blissfully unaware that their CMV barrel is "subpar".

I doubt 99 out of 100 guys could ever tell the difference or would ever abuse their rifle hard enough for it to matter. I have both. I have and have had CMV CHF, and SS. I can't tell a bit of difference.

For most guys, if they didn't read something from someone on the internet, they would go on blissfully unaware that their CMV barrel is "subpar".

True and if you're just looking for a toy then those subpar barrels will work. They shoot and do the job.

Same line of thinking with hand tools, if you need a set of wrenches around for the occasional use you can get away with using a harbor freight special tool kit. Now if you want something that's more refined and durable l, that is used daily and retain their value, then some SNAP ON tools would be nice.

I just ordered two Faxon Barrels, they will be Melonite. I know a Chrome lined barrel will maintain accuracy a few thousand rounds more, but I am luck to shoot one AR more than 800 rounds a year. I worry more about my AR-10 barrels, but hey I am not going to war ever again, just don't have the health for it. I must have four unfired AR's now.

This isn't correct.

Barrels that are chrome lined tend to have CL stamped on them. The barrels that are chrome lined will have that under the description of the barrel. It costs more to chrome line barrels and marketing would be stupid to exclude that information about barrels.

Generally speaking, Colt and FN barrels tend to be the commonly chrome lined barrels. However, just check the description for chrome lining. Palmetto State Armory sells some chrome lined barrels that are marketed under their "premium cold hammer forged barrels". They're rebadged FN barrels and are very high quality. Some Daniel Defense and Bushmaster barrels are also chrome lined. You will typically pay a premium for chrome lined barrels and many chrome lined barrels are cold hammer forged. These are the barrels you want :cool:
Let's go further down the Rabbit and say that Cold hammer fordging is not as accurate Button Broached barrels... Colt Barrels are button rifled and chrome lined, and as stated above, the Colt Socom Barrel is VERY accurate.. Sub MOA out of a 14.5" barrel... pretty decent! It's a hot debate, but....BB>CHF.

Originally just the chamber was chrome lined to help with reliability, specifically extraction.

Although it helps with cleaning, as long as the barrel itself is made of good steel it's not something I look for. But I prefer the chamber to be chrome lined.

A lot of barrels are made with 4150, the better quality barrels are usually 416. Am guessing there are other steels being used as well.

True and if you're just looking for a toy then those subpar barrels will work. They shoot and do the job.

Same line of thinking with hand tools, if you need a set of wrenches around for the occasional use you can get away with using a harbor freight special tool kit. Now if you want something that's more refined and durable l, that is used daily and retain their value, then some SNAP ON tools would be nice.

Yep, the old marketing ploy...advertise something in a way to make folks believe they can't live without it, then go in for the monetary kill.

If a guy wants to have hammer forged and chrome lined , well thats his choice . I will pay a little extra for CL and HF . Why do you think CZ and Ruger hammer forged in even .22lr barrels. Just for fun ? Why does your SKS have CL ? For the purpose I purchased my first AR for , shtf , I see it as an advantage. And my HF, CL, AR will shoot 1 moa , plenty accurate for is purpose.

I think nitride or melonite is a great alternative to CL. I would want it if i was looking for a barrel.

If you dont like it don't buy it. Just dont try to convince me of what I need.

I put a scope on the DDM4 to check the accuracy at 100 yards. The barrel is chrome lined , CHF with a 1/7 twist. It shoots 55 grain just fine.

IMG_1520.JPG
IMG_1901.JPG
IMG_1530.JPG IMG_1528.JPG

Last Edited:
This lapping tool along with the compound, allow for a better fit between barrel and receiver (squared up) it could improve your MOA too. Repeatable placement of the round in the chamber is a element of consistent accuracy.

On my first build, I bought a Armalite complete upper. It was a flattop with GI handguard, but had a chrome lined barrel and was double lapped. I bought a CMC trigger 4.5# straight shoe. DelTon stripped lower, still a GoTo AR for me.
I did buy a complete Noveske 18" 'Recon' upper that also seems good. I bought one in Melonite from Curt's with a 16" pencil barrel that the Warden still uses.
I have three 'store bought' AR's, a Colt Competition, a DDM4 V3, and a 16" SS AR-10 'Metal mag' version fixed A2 stock. I like them all. Low round count though.

I bought a few lower receivers so I am planning my next lower build. I bought a Spike Tactical lower parts set that includes a pistol grep. I was wondering if there are inexpensive chromed lined fully assembled upper? I charging handle and BCG are optional since I a few unused charging handles are BCGs already. I have an 1/7" twist stainless steel melonite barrel for my first build which includes a charging handle and BCG already.

I bought a few lower receivers so I am planning my next lower build. I bought a Spike Tactical lower parts set that includes a pistol grep. I was wondering if there are inexpensive chromed lined fully assembled upper? I charging handle and BCG are optional since I a few unused charging handles are BCGs already. I have an 1/7" twist stainless steel melonite barrel for my first build which includes a charging handle and BCG already.

The stainless steel with melonite sounds like a good combo. Seems like PSA has some good prices for lower cost nitride, melonite or chrome lined barrels.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top