JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have both here,
More controlable- the AK shoots smoother, AR snapier.
More relible-if kept clean, then a + for both.
I shoot the ak more cause it cost me half the price then my (oa-93) AR pistol.

I have built two AK pistols. One with an 11" barrel and one with a 9" barrel. I like the shorty better. Just a little more fire. I love them both. I do want to build an AR pitol. I have bought an 80% receiver that has to be finished. That leads me to a question. If you build an AR pistol from your own manufactered receiver, must it be marked" pistol only". Or does it matter? I have an original SP-1. So with the rifle in the safe does the pistol have to be marked for legal reasons?

I don't think anyone answered your question. No, your receiver does not need to be marked as a pistol ever. It makes no legal difference.

$319 AK "pistol" + tax stamp = awesome

...besides, rifle caliber "pistols" are just silly.

IMG_8273.jpg

You guys are killing me, now I want to go buy a AK pistol...Anyone know of a place here in Salem that sells them so I can check one out alittle closer. The wife is going to kill me if I buy anymore guns, but it may just be worth the fun for her and I.:s0131::D

Just like any project. Tooling is the key. If you have a quality bending jig to bend your flat, a spot welder a shop press and tooling to smash the rivets, the rest is easy. I am at work at the moment, but when I get home I will post a pic of my latest one. Finished with a Duracoat digital desert marage flage paint job. Actually I have pics posted in the "AK's owners unite" thread. If you want some help, or tooling, or any questions let me know....

Here are some pics. The first one is an 11" barrel with a full size forearm. I have not painted that one yet. The second one is a 9" barrel with a US made forearm shorter than a Krink. Both are 922 compliant. The pistol trunions are US made by AZEX in Arizona. They are machined with a hole and a groove in that hole for an Uncle Mikes detachable swivel. It is the kind that you push a button in the center and it releases little ball bearings in the swivel and you can pull the entire piece out. To put it back, just push the button, insert and release. It locks into that groove and spins 360 degrees.

Ruger Icp...build you own from a kit. pretty simple really!

I would love to build my own... But I have none of the tools you listed, nor do I know what to start with or how to go about ordering any of the stuff to build one. I really would love to learn to build my own stuff, I build my own cars and things of the sort all the time, but guns have always been something I wanted to learn how to do just never had the "guts" to do so.:(

If you have any sort of mechanical ability you can build guns. If you have any mechanical ability you can work on airplanes. It is just a matter of knowledge. The right tooling and the step by step order of the process. When I started this adventure, I had zero knowledge of how to build a gun. I searched the net and spent many hours on forums reading and asking questions. I searched the net for the tooling and found what I needed, I even messed up a couple of flats before I got the technique down. But for me the entire gig was a learning process that I wanted to perfect. In my opinion, the cool thing is once you have the tooling, it's like a wrench or jack. You may not need it all of the time, but when you do need it, it is nice to have it. The best thing though, is once you obtain the knowledge, no matter what happens to you or this country....you can never take away the knowledge you have gained. Knowledge is priceless!

I have a PLR-16 and have been very pleased with it. It shoots whatever I feed it, and is very accurate with good ammo. The muzzle blast matches the AK post pic. up above- a Levange Linear Comp has been helpful. A trigger job for $40 from a man in Colorado helped out a ton. Kel-Tec has adapter parts availalbe that could assit in a SBR job down the road as well- very pleased and lot's of options

I am picking up a Draco today or tomorrow. So, after I take it to the range, I'll let y'all know how it shoots. Maybe get some pictures. I expect a heck of a muzzle blast. I already have new parts to install. Should be fun.

RDB,
Nice looking pistols. I'm looking into the "how to" part of building these. Looks like fun.

What would someone expect to pay for a parts kit nowadays?

I bought both kits off of Gunbroker. The nine inch was $385.00. everything but a receiver. After getting the kits and taking a good look at them, you could make a pistol out of a rifle kit. But with no more barrels coming in the country, why destroy a good barrel?. Here is my advise. If you want an 11" barrel and don't realy want to spend a bunch. A friend that I work with bought an AMD-65 kit for not very much. They have an 11" barrel with a permantly attached 5 or 6 inch muzzle brake. He bought a pistol rear trunion, cut the muzzle brake off. Then threaded the barrel for a smaller muzzle brake. He sold the stock and rear trunion. Now he has an 11" AK pistol. 922 compliant of course.