Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR/AK pistols

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by M.Link, Jan 23, 2010.

1. M.Link

M.Link Guest

Which one is more controlable and which is more reliable? Also what do they cost, I want one or the other!

2. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

I'd go for the AK pistol.
    A bit awkward but I like the look of them. An AR pistol will cost you twice if not 3 times as much as an "AK Pistol".

3. arjunki

arjunki Beaverton Active Member

Can we say "Fire Breathing Dragons" :D

4. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

I'd do the AR pistol (and did). In a pinch you can use the buffer tube as a "stock". It punches the **** out of your shoulder but improves accuracy. Plus you can get other uppers for an AR, 9mm to name one.:thumbup:

5. Bark

Bark Oregon Member

We recently went out and tested our new AK pistols.......Don't forget the marshmallows! MVI_2417_0001.jpg I have to say it was easier to keep the AR pistol on target but it had a sling attached. AK pistol is a good truck gun for the money.:thumbup:

MVI_2417_0001.jpg

6. brentlee

brentlee Salem Member

I have had both and have to say that they are both bad ***, you get a little more bang for your buck with the AK, personally they are really just for fun your not going to be looking at true accuracy. I think it is a little easier to accessorize your AR than your AK. In the end its your call, shoot both and see what you think.

7. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

built an AR pistol with my buddy last week, I'm building my self an AK pistol this week...

I have an extra AR lower if I don't like the AK...

We built the AR pistol for $539

$90 for spikes tactical lower
    $10 for transfer from ffl
    $439 for 8.5" pistol kit
    $539 total

my AK cost
    $139 for the kit
    $195 for other parts (grip, flat, FCG, springs, etc.)
    $334 total for parts only
    +$65 for home built flat bending jig and other building materials
    so $399 total for the AK

I like the AR recoil tube to rest your cheak on, but my AK is WAY shorter! And less finicky

8. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

What about the Kel-Tec PLR-16?

9. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

When/where did you get that?

10. littlegsxr

littlegsxr Below Canada. Active Member

I am in the process of an AR Pistol Build... Ordered everything and now the wait begins. My lower will be here Monday!!!

Anyways, I wanna know how to build an AK Pistol for $399, or an AK for that matter. I have heard of AK build "parties", but no one around me is into AK's.

If someone wants to hit me up with the info on a $399 ak pistol build, I would be a proud new AK owner!!! Thanks gentlemen:thumbup::gun09:

11. tuckerha

tuckerha Tucson, Arizona Member

I've been looking at the Draco for a while. They have a few at the store in town for about 350. Might have to go take another look after seeing the picture posted by Bark.

Does anyone know if the barrel nut on the draco is removeable to allow for a muzzle brake?

12. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

The ones i just got in stock are removable.

13. tuckerha

Thanks, That's good info. I did some searching a while back and I guess some had been tack welded on. I'd like to do something like this for a truck gun:

akpayn2.jpg

14. tuckerha

Thanks, I'm gonna go for it and order one. Not sure of the practicality, but it looks like a lot of fun. If I get tired of it I guess you'll see it on here for sale in the future.

15. hondakilla98

hondakilla98 beaverton, or Active Member

I've been thinking about buying a draco pistol, and then after i get bored with it. I'll get a tax stamp and turn it into an sbr. I can get one with shipping and ffl for $365 from centerfire systems. Then $200 for the tax stamp and then new rear trunnion and stock around $100. For a total of around $665. Pretty cheap for an sbr assault rifle.

16. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

Glad you like it... Too bad it was my last one, and the distributor doesnt know when more are coming in.:(

17. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I have built two AK pistols. One with an 11" barrel and one with a 9" barrel. I like the shorty better. Just a little more fire. I love them both. I do want to build an AR pitol. I have bought an 80% receiver that has to be finished. That leads me to a question. If you build an AR pistol from your own manufactered receiver, must it be marked" pistol only". Or does it matter? I have an original SP-1. So with the rifle in the safe does the pistol have to be marked for legal reasons?

18. Saigashooter

Saigashooter Or coast Member

I have an ak pistol and love it but I need to put a sling point on the back of the pistol because it only has the 1 by the front hand guard. for the guys that have ak pistols with slings please post pictures so I can go to a gunsmith and describe what I want done please help me out. thank you for your time and info/help

19. Saigashooter

Saigashooter Or coast Member

I like the kind that can spin like on a mp5 were can I buy 1 like that? does anyone here have 1 for sale?

20. tuckerha

I actually went to the local shop I go to often but they were out of them, so I ordered one through Classic Arms.

Mine should be in any time now. Now look what you guys started!