JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Completely new territory for me and there doesn't seem to be a lot of previous info posted on the forum. I would be interested in any insights, quirks, tips & tricks, or performance suggestions anyone might have. OR, simply sharing your own builds.

I purchased a pre-assembled upper, on a whim. Prior to that, I've never owned or shot one (AR version), haven't done any previous research on them and quite frankly, has never even been on my radar before.

I'm aware of the firing pin issue and have an enhanced on order. From my limited, impromtu, research I decided to start with a few C-product mags (couple 10rd and some 30's). Finding any mags wasn't easy and they aren't exactly "cheap". I've also seen a bit about possible mag mod's. I was thinking of going with an H3 buffer.

@dinky450 has been incredibly helpful getting me up to speed a bit, but thought I would open it up and tap into the general wealth of knowledge pool around here.

Also, if anyone might have a spec sheet on the 7.62x39 bolt and/or chamber, that would be most appreciated.

And.... GO!! :s0155:

Last Edited:
Things I have found that got mine running flawless.

Enhance firing pin if you want to shoot steel casing.

Polishing mag lips as steel casing doesn't like to slide on metal mags. The 7.62x39 round tends to hang up on the front of the mag and will not load next round.

Feed ramp on the barrel extension needs to be wider and polished nice. You will find more feed back on 300blk bullet diameter and case is close to the same diameter. Bushmaster had a very reliable 7.62x39 ar picture of their feed ramp. I would start by opening up what you have and testing it. You can always remove more but can not add it back.

Depending on barrel length and gas tube buffer weight will need to be right. Lots of people recommend a H2 and it is a good place to start but not always the best. I also added adjustable gas block to help tune the last bit of it. I run captured springs as I don't like the spring twang and they do act a little different then standard buffer.

Trigger spring I never had a issue with this I think the enhanced firing pin eliminated that. I currently run risearment RA-535 in both my 7.62s

Bushmaster-7.62x39-AR-Barrel-Feed-Ramp.jpg

Lots of people recommend a H2 and it is a good place to start but not always the best.
I was just guessing on an H3. I run an H2 on one of my 15's (rifle length gas with 20" barrel) and really like it so was thinking I might need a bit more for a 7.62. If it's too much though I can always swap out some of the tungsten with SS. I won't be running supressed on it and not a big fan of adjustable gas blocks. I have a JP adjustable on that 20" barrel, but not long ago bought a fixed block I plan to swap out (one more line item on my "to do" list).

TBH, it has a really nice tube on it so if swapping tubes out of that JP wasn't such a PITA it would probably already be done by now. :D

Edit: Then again. I've never tried those dail/lever type adjustables. Making it so much simpler to adjust on the fly... vs. dinking with set screws... maybe they are worth a closer look. They weren't around when I built that 20".

Last Edited:
I was just guessing on an H3. I run an H2 on one of my 15's (rifle length gas with 20" barrel) and really like it so was thinking I might need a bit more for a 7.62. If it's too much though I can always swap out some of the tungsten with SS. I won't be running supressed on it and not a big fan of adjustable gas blocks. I have a JP adjustable on that 20" barrel, but not long ago bought a fixed block I plan to swap out (one more line item on my "to do" list).

TBH, it has a really nice tube on it so if swapping tubes out of that JP wasn't such a PITA it would probably already be done by now. :D

Edit: Then again. I've never tried those dail/lever type adjustables. Making it so much simpler to adjust on the fly... vs. dinking with set screws... maybe they are worth a closer look. They weren't around when I built that 20".
I have both my AR pistols have lightened BCG and adjustable gas block is the only way to get them tuned 100%. they are pain to get set in sometimes but i have not had any issues with them coming out of adjustment.

I do like the FMJ HP 's but they seem to be hard to find. :(
Very true. Finding plain ol FMJ training rounds that are semi affordable ain't too easy either. Brass case is nearly as spendy as 5.56 and steel is only margianlly more affordable.

Very true. Finding plain ol FMJ training rounds that are semi affordable ain't too easy either. Brass case is nearly as spendy as 5.56 and steel is only margianlly more affordable.
Brass case is more than 5.56 lol. Sportsmans has a bunch but $1 round... I haven't had much luck even finding steel case local

Keep a eye out on norma. It really is decent ammo and they have great sales all the time. They had .308 for $15 a box and shipping is always free after $49
I've kind of been watching since I became aware of them recently. I've noticed they run sales rather frequent. That's why I only went for half a case. They gave me a one time first time buyer discount... so wanted to take advantage.. ending up with more than I need in the short term, but who knows which direction prices are heading in the immediate future and don't currently own a single round of 7.62.

I had an AK for awhile to play around with, but I got over it years ago and liquidated the caliber from my stocks. ;)

I've kind of been watching since I became aware of them recently. I've noticed they run sales rather frequent. That's why I only went for half a case.
Yep I found enough 7.62 back in 2019 for cheap cheap i Bought A LOT. I've never owned a AK its a commie weapon 🤣. I grew up bullseye shooting and junior rifle if it wasn't accurate there wasn't much room in the safe lol.

Yep I found enough 7.62 back in 2019 for cheap cheap i Bought A LOT.
I was young, dumb and broke. I had my hunting long guns and decent sidearm, but SKS's and AK's were dirt cheap back then. It was a phase. I grew out of it. 🤣

About kills me buying any ammo at all these days. My last ammo blitz was about that same time. 2017-2018ish. When 5.56 was .25/rd and .22lr mini mag was .07/rd.

Kind of wishing now I hadn't gotten rid of all those wooden crates of 7.62 now. Pretty spendy just to tinker with a cheap upper. ;)

I was young, dumb and broke. I had my hunting long guns and decent sidearm, but SKS's and AK's were dirt cheap back then. It was a phase. I grew out of it. 🤣

About kills me buying any ammo at all these days. My last ammo blitz was about that same time. 2017-2018ish. When 5.56 was .25/rd and .22lr mini mag was .07/rd.

Kind of wishing now I hadn't gotten rid of all those wooden crates of 7.62 now. Pretty spendy just to tinker with a cheap upper. ;)
Lol yeah I don't knock people that have AKs or commie guns I just don't prefer them lol. I was looking at something that preforms under a short barrel and 7.62x39 does it great. If it wasn't a commie round us military probably would of used it instead of .300blk

C-Products mags. Does anyone have real life personal experience with the different round count mags? Conclusions about what will hold what reliably, they all run about the same with some hiccups, etc?

Researching it seems all over the place. Other than 10rd which seem to run just fine for all.

Do you have any opinions on 7.62x39 brass life with Norma and Belom brands? Do you anneal your brass, if so after how loads?
They promote it as the highest count reloadable brass on the market, but I'm quite sure blowing up consumers firearms wasn't in any advert or part of their business plan, so.......

It woud be nice to hear how many reloads people have on theirs and how it's holding up against other brands they're familiar with.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top