JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a general rule, I keep a small supply of spare parts of firearms I use a lot. These would be thinkings like firing pins, springs, magazines, etc. Generally, when I break or lose a part, I buy two when replacing said.

Anyway, I'm thinking of socking away some spare parts for an AR-15 and I thought I would toss the topic out there for discussion. Other than magazines, what parts do you keep on hand for your AR(s) and why?

Thanks much.

Firing pins, full spring/pin sets, a complete BCG and a gas tube.

You could just buy a bolt for the BCG but you can buy a complete BCG for $100 so why not.

I've never broken or had to replace anything, your firing pin, springs and gas tube can break or gas tube can get too much build up.

Parts are cheap now so stock up!

Just ordered some more springs and got a BCG plus they through in ammo...Counting the price I normally would pay the the ammo the BCG cost me like fifty! New. Got an extra PK stashed as well. Next is more ammo & mags....of course.

Brutus Out

Firing pins, full spring/pin sets, a complete BCG and a gas tube.

You could just buy a bolt for the BCG but you can buy a complete BCG for $100 so why not.

I've never broken or had to replace anything, your firing pin, springs and gas tube can break or gas tube can get too much build up.

Parts are cheap now so stock up!

Add to that any tools you need to change those parts including vice blocks, armorer's wrench, punches, etc.

AR15 parts are designed to be consumable and easy to replace, but some tools are still needed.

I have a few LPK parts handy

20160930_201719.jpg

I am starting to put things (AR parts & stuff) away but I am a buyer, seller & trader on a small scale. It is a chore to look at my stockpiles & leave them on the shelf because I'm always needing (wanting) something else......:rolleyes:

Not the ONLY battle rifle to need/use spare parts, and all things considered, a pretty solid and reliable firearm! That said, I follow most every one here and carry spare parts like firing pins, springs, trigger group springs and pins, as well as take down pins and bolt parts!!! Same parts I carry for all Semi Auto Battle Rifles!

Not the ONLY battle rifle to need/use spare parts, and all things considered, a pretty solid and reliable firearm! That said, I follow most every one here and carry spare parts like firing pins, springs, trigger group springs and pins, as well as take down pins and bolt parts!!! Same parts I carry for all Semi Auto Battle Rifles!

Zactly - we and everybody else had armorers in the field long before the M-16 was born.

I've been in the midst of builds at various times in the past and discovered that I needed these parts, not so much because they had broke on me but because the new parts I had purchased or traded for, didn't come with them.
Crush washer
Castle nut
Standard barrel nut
Grip screw and washer
Fire Control Group
Roll pins for the GB, bolt catch....

I cant give you a pic of my spare parts bins, They are in Idaho and I happen to be in Washington today.
However I can say I have invested a considerable chunk in parts and tools. Not so much because I think I will have a real problem with failures in the years ahead but because I enjoy being a AR armorer and work on my rifles and others.

I think its prudent to stock up on springs, extractors, detents and things of that nature. From there you can go crazy. The rifles I think of as tools all have a spare bolt in the pistol grip as well as extra springs. I've never used one. (part of that is because when I had something go wrong I just set it aside till I could deal with it rather than try to make a field repair)

Things to keep in mind.

I have had several failures over the years, almost all of them because I did something wrong.

Most of the parts I have had to replace where damaged by me, not failures.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top