JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Leupold Mark AR MOD 1.5-4 illuminated on mine (part #115387). I love it. Most of the time i leave it on low (1.5x) but i like knowing i have the ability to dial it up if needed without putting an large optic on the rifle.

Primary Arms make a nice micro red dot that works great for an AR15. Under $100 with a mount that will co-witness with your iron sites. So does Bushnell there AR optic TRS-25. I also love my Acog 4x32, eotech xps-2, and my Aimpoint micro h-1. But those all will run you $350 or more even used.
I bought a sightmarks 7x magnifier for $120.
Yesterday I was hitting 12" steal at 300yrds with that, and my Aimpoint Micro on Tavor Sar b16.

I have been researching optics for my latest project and have been trying to decide on a 1-4. I tried a Millett DMS preiously and did not like it.

I have settled on the Burris MTAC with a Warne ramp mount and forward angled mount for my front sight. I hope this will give me a good clear 1-4 and usable irons.

I just plink under 100 with irons, but I have some optics and some opinions. 1st off, is your gun A1/A2 upper with the fixed carry handle, or flat-top? I really do not care for sights on my fixed upper guns, I just use the A2 sights and I'm happy with those.

On flat tops I have tried:

a) Nikon 1-4x 20mm. Very nice little scope, Leupold makes a similar one. Just great. Very functional on the AR, it is called the "M-223" scope, comes with two different reticle options, cross hair or BDC built in. $250 ish.
b) Barska M-16 electro-sight. Just a cheap red dot, nothing great. $75 ish and OK but not great.
c) Vortex SPARC - now this is a great optic, red/green dot no magnification, but quality. Like a Aimpoint T1 but way cheaper. $200.

Right now PSA has a sale, a Vortex strikfire + a full auto BCG for $200. the strikefire is normally about $160 alone anywhere, so that's a great deal. Have not used one but it is like a SPARC in function but larger and 4 moa dot instead of 2 like the SPARC, it is a few year old design but not bad at all. Sell the bcg and you'll have a decent 4moa dot optic for $100.

Think about the effective range for your barrel.

If your barrel is 14-16'' or shorter, then it is a (relatively) close combat weapon and a non-magnifying red dot allowing for fast target acquisition (like Eotech (E)XPS2) makes sense. You can still add a magnifier in front of it, should you desire.

If your barrel is 18-20'' or longer then you have a sniper/war rifle, and not having an optic on it would rob you of accuracy at ranges where your weapon is still effective.

My older Colt H-BAR, with the carry handle, is an absolute tack driver. While I shoot it with the irons I also like to use optics, a 2-7 Leupold and a 6-24 Bosch&Lomb for varmints. Kind of the best of all worlds, as my mounts attach to the handle and return to zero perfectly with a single attaching bolt. Versital as it gets!

i have a Aimpoint PRO, 3x magnifier, and BUIS on one 16" rifle that is great out to 300 yds (I haven't shot it any farther yet.) Another 16" rifle with A2 sights has just joined the stables. It might get a Meprolite M21 (more or less an Isreali ACOG) if I decide to turn it into an IDF clone, otherwise it will remain an open-sights KISS rifle.

All of my rifles with scopes have either low fixed power or no power optics on them. I've tried higher powers and zooms before but they never really been as versatile as what I am running now.

Keith

I use both Aimpoint T-1 reddot on my knights SR15 on a LaRue quick disconnect for close range and drills but have a Leupold 1.5-4x20 VX-R on a LaRue quick disconnect for longer shots. I like to see where I'm hitting my targets at 100yds and more. The Aimpoint hits right on but I still want to see the long shots. That is a 16" barrel.

On my Noveske it is an 18" spr so it is scoped only and with a 3-9x40 scope for longer range. The reddot would be useless on this rifle.

I almost feel at 100yds and less you really don't need anything but flip up sights and save a lot of weight. I like to be able to swap scopes and sights when shooting.
If I only had the option of one I would pick a scope because if we had an EMP in a SHTF situation your reddot would be fried.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top