JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been running a 5.56 carbine with EOTech EXPS2 holographic (1 MOA green dot and 68 MOA ring) with great results at 25 yards target practice, as a home defense rig and wondering if anyone has experience running their G33 magnifier? The G33 may never be useful in a home defense role but who knows these days.

They're also going to produce a new variation of the 3x, and a 5x pretty soon...may be even better then the tried a true G33?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

I have never used one, But from what I understand it will magnify the dot, so your little 1moa dot turns into a dinner plate.

This was a few years ago when I was looking at them, they may be different these days

The dot on a eotech is not magnified with a magnifier, holographic optics project the reticle out from the optic. I use a primary arms long eye relief magnifier as the G33 has a shallow eye box if I remember

I've been using a G33 and EXPS-2 combo for a few months now on my Mk18 pistol and I love it! The quality is superb and it does give you more room to reach out and touch things. But my AR pistol is more of my truck gun/ SHTF so it sits in a Vertx Overland most of the time. For HD you might be better off sticking with just the HWS unless you plan on expanding the role of your AR. It is a fantastic magnifier though. If you're LE/MIL you get like a 40% ( somewhere around that number) coupon to use on their site. I picked mine up around 450$.

Knute, I have had your combo for 4 years and I transition the G33 on all of my applicable 1x optics. This is a controversial statement compared to other repliers, and perhaps a bizarre concept, but my personal G33 makes everything that I look at about 3.3 times bigger.... everything... red dots and holograms and projections and everything that enters the light tube.... so the eotech (according to me, from my limited personal experience, from my owning and usage) just about triples in size along with everything else downrange. My eotech doesn't get holographically projected the original size downrange, the dot and circle get 3x bigger along with the targets, trees, rocks, ghosts, ideas and dreams...

Not sure that I answered any questions, but home defense? Your house must be bigger than mine, I use mine for hunting when I'm transitioning 300-100 yards to within or for making certain a turkey has a beard. I'm very happy with it, it's well made, would recommend. I'd say it's unneeded if you never plan to shoot beyond 50 yards.

I have never used one, But from what I understand it will magnify the dot, so your little 1moa dot turns into a dinner plate.

This was a few years ago when I was looking at them, they may be different these days

That applies to red dots, reflex, etc.... Everything but Holographic

Get a cheaper magnifier first.

I've tried the G33, primary arms and vortex, they had their differences, but $ to value I'd say try the PA first.

That applies to red dots, reflex, etc.... Everything but Holographic

Get a cheaper magnifier first.

I've tried the G33, primary arms and vortex, they had their differences, but $ to value I'd say try the PA first.
I did the same thing. In part because the primary arms units are around $200 or less with a basic mount and you can get one with better eye relief. It was a great choice for me.

Instead of a magnifier, have you looked into an LVPO in the 1-6 or 8 range?
Yes...lots of great LVPO to consider but for this build I have the holographic already. I have thought about trading over but i like the EOTech "ring o' death" design which would still work for me without my Coke bottle bottom glasses in a tight spot.

Thank you for the comment :)

LVPO is the best of both worlds. A good 1x6 is ideal, good for up close then dial up when you need to identify a target that's further out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top