Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR 15 Optics Questions

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Sirmohawk, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Sirmohawk

Sirmohawk Portland Active Member

I want my flat top AR to have a nice close range sight like EOtech but unfortunatly I do not have the extra bread to throw at an actual eotech right now.

I am looking to blast close range targets maybe out to 50 yards so no long range optics needed.

Basically what I am wondering is has anyone had any experience with the lower end holographic sights like NcStar, AIM or truglow?
    I am looking in to picking one of those up but if they are all crap even for close range plinking then maybe I would just be wasting my money...

:thumbup:

2. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

This topic has been discussed many times in here.

For a lower priced red dot sight, try vortex strikefire. It's actually very good optic for the money.

eldbillbo and (deleted member) like this.
  3. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

Irons work.....

eldbillbo and (deleted member) like this.
  4. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

as mentioned vortex, irons,

also my fav for under $150 is the S.P.O.T cause its tough .

the vortex and spot wont cost you too much more than the brands you mentioned and are better quality products.

Last i heard Vortex low ends are made in China but they run a pretty tight quality control

S.P.O.T is made in Korea .

Sirmohawk and (deleted member) like this.
  5. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Want an Eotech without the $$$, pick up the Bushnell version. You lose the metal hood and waterproofing, otherwise the same.

6. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

Primary Arms makes decent optics at a reasonable price: https://www.primaryarms.com/Red_Dot_Sights_s/190.htm

They aren't as bright as a real Aimpoint, aren't as rugged, and the batteries last days instead of years, but they are ~$120 instead of the $380 a Aimpoint PRO runs.

H

7. nwdrifter

nwdrifter troutdale oregon Active Member

you can get a used eotech for $250-$300, i would save up and do it right the first time.

8. j4545

j4545 WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm partial to the Trijicon RMR. I love those things. Fast, light, compact, and the dot is plenty bright in the LED version. And you can run them on your pistol.

9. locobob

locobob Beaverton, Oregon Well-Known Member

Lucid HD7 is solid and has a ton of features for about 2 bills.

10. Bushman

Bushman Auburn, WA Well-Known Member

I'd agree with this, except I'd say it's closer to the aimpoint micro. I have a bushnell red dot that's a clone of the aimpoint micro, and I like it. Less than $90 and with a riser, co-witness with irons. I had an eotech by the way, sold it...this is compact and light.

11. mrbook

mrbook Battle Ground, Washington Member

+1 on the Primary Arms. Good optic for the money

12. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Nope you're thinking of different optic:
    Bushnell holosight is the Eo clone, and now they also have their micro rds as well.