JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need to replace an ejector spring in an AR-15 Bolt. I need some way to hold the bolt solidly in place while pushing in on the ejector slightly and tapping the holding pin at the same time. Its like I need four hands. Suggestions appreciated.

Part of Wheeler's AR Tookits has a built-in bolt-servicing station. Lemme see if I can figure out which and I'll get back to you. :)

EDIT: It's built into their Lower/Magwell Vise Block, item #156211.

You really dont need all those hands. Use a starret punch slightly small than the pin. Tap it almost all the way out..not all the way out. Then put uR thumb over the ejector as you pull the staret punch back out. Just do it Nike!

Pssst.... that's a photo of the extractor, the ejector is the little spring-loaded nub opposite on the bolt face. ;)

IIRC, all you have to do is squeeze it together with your fingers, then use the firing pin to push it out

That is how you get the extractor off, he is talking about the ejector. The ejector pin is too small to push out with a firing pin and is difficult to get held in the proper orientation under spring tension.

There is a handy little press to do this which I use so I am not much help with how to do it without the tools (since I do it with the tools)

bBolt Disassembly Tool.jpg

Oh, sorry. I use a "C"-clamp, with a nut that fits where the back of the shell fits into the bolt. Squeeze, remove pin, clamp off....slowly.

Yea. If I don't have a bolt or nut to fit, I can just cut a cartridge case down and clamp it into the bolt face. I don't have any roll pin punches. Maybe I can make one out of a steel nail??

Just buy a two dollar proper size C-clamp and grind it to fit the bolt face. Grind the screw end to fit over the end of the bolt. Use a bench grinder. Use the smallest C-clamp that will span the bolt length. Slip in the bolt and screw it in to push down the ejector.

Use the small roll pin punch to remove the roll pin. Putting the whole thing into that heavy duty expensive 5 inch smooth jaw bolt on bench vise helps. Cheap, quick, fast and easy. Hope this helps. Another cheap good home made AR15 build tool. Fun also.

This is now more than two months old. I solved this back in late October. My method of solving this was pretty close to what you suggested. I used a small c-clamp to push a screw nut, a 7/16 I think, into the bolt face. That compressed the ejector pin slightly. Put the clamp, and bolt into bench vise. Not a heavy-duty one, but strong enough. Then tapped out the roll pin. The thing that helped the most was the new, short length, "starter" roll pin punch. It made tapping in the new pin quick and easy.
The new ejector spring is working fine. Thanks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top