JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i finally have all the components to complete my first AR (Only took 3 months). After doing some research however it appears i will need a vise block to attach my barrel to the upper receiver of my rifle. (Free float hand guard with proprietary nut by the way).

My question is can i wing this step without a vise block or would it be better to try and find one at a local shop or see if the shop offers the service to install it for me?

I would borrow one if you can, I know a guy....:rolleyes: that tried to be cheap and wrap his upper in towels before putting it in a vice, and crushed the receiver to where the BCG wouldn't go back in to it. Better yet, invest in one for yourself, they are $30 at Cabela's. Once you built an AR, you get infected with ARtitis, which results in more ARs in a very short time. You will come out ahead by investing in the proper tools.

ive heard of guys using two pieces of wood and a bench vise but, why risk ruining something?? there's a "right" tool for every job. i own a wheeler vise block and have also used a reaction rod. i like the geisselle reaction rod/ magpul BEV block better for installing a barrel because, applying torque to the upper rec. is virtually eliminated with this method.

Yes you will need the vise block or reaction rod. And most likely yes you will need the proprietary wrench for the hand-guard nut. Several forearm mfg's are using the Yankee Hill style nut.

wb804-4889.jpg
AR15barreltool.jpg
YHM-9621 FF Wrench-2.jpg

My 2 cents are to get the tools you need so you can do the eventual maintenance and if necessary do your own repairs. I don't understand why the vice blocks cost as much as they do, considering how many AR's are out there.

I would go with the action vise over the reaction rod... the rod is expensive and only supports the barrel extension. The problem is the nut attaches to the upper... which gets all the torque, this puts a lot of force on the indexing pin and the slot in the upper.

Yah I should have added reaction rod works best for muzzle devices. Brownells makes great reaction rod for half the price as others.

Also you should use blue tape on your upper where it makes contact with the clam shell. Marks happen even when plastic is involved.

Yah I should have added reaction rod works best for muzzle devices. Brownells makes great reaction rod for half the price as others.

Also you should use blue tape on your upper where it makes contact with the clam shell. Marks happen even when plastic is involved.

Just watched the video - I really dig how that tool works and the price is great!
AR-15/M16 BARREL EXTENSION TORQUE TOOLS | Brownells

The reaction rod from Brownells is really the way to go. If you have any form of FFL even C&R you can get their discount. Its a substantial discount. Those rods are $45.

There's a shop in Down Town Vanc with a bench and tools they let customers use.

I have to admit building 4 ARs I used a couple wood blocks wrapped a few times with duct tape.

Dang I'm cheap, and ghetto.

But it worked with no idiot marks (from that anyways)

Use the right tools or don't do it. I can't stress that enough.

Don't take 3 months to get parts to scratch it in one silly moment. I did it, and it bug you forever.

I'd never heard of those reaction rods before. I like it!

For a limited budget, though, you can get cheap vice blocks from ebay for about $10. Here's one I found for $10.74 shipped: Upper Receiver Vise Block Gunsmithing Tool Armorer Vice Workbench Table Repair

For that price there's no reason to not have one.

I dont like those at all. Too easy to mar the receiver. You can also roll the locator pin under the threaded receiver extension and misalign the feed ramp to barrel extension. If putting on flash suppressor good and tight its also easy to twist the receiver and misalign the feed ramps. The reaction rod works so much better for the job IF you get a steel one. The Aluminum ones strip the drive splines off.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads