JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so I need to set up the adjustable gas block but the mlok handguard is in the way of the set screw. I've never removed a handguard before so my question is how and does it affect the barrel install?
do all I need to do is remove these two screws and slide it off?

1686624041327.png

Why not just use a long Allen wrench (or whatever) to reach the gas block?

Yes, removing those two screw should allow you to take off the hand guard, it will have no affect on the barrel installation.

Why not just use a long Allen wrench (or whatever) to reach the gas block?
theres 2 set screws. One in the front I could access with a long allen wrench.
But my understanding is the one I need to access to adjust the gas flow is on the side and its bocked by the handguard....
(Im assuming this is common because the first youtube instruction on adjusting gas blocks I found shows with the handguard removed completely)

1686624860122.png

so I need to set up the adjustable gas block but the mlok handguard is in the way of the set screw. I've never removed a handguard before so my question is how and does it affect the barrel install?
do all I need to do is remove these two screws and slide it off?

View attachment 1436791
So my adjustable had two screws as well. One was the actual gas adjustment and the other was a set screw to hold the adjustment screw. Bottom line you will need to loosen and tighten both for any adjustments.

I initially set mine full open. Was getting roughly a 1 o'clock ejections. Removed the handguard and turned the gas screw down one full turn. Was getting consistent 3-4 o'clock ejections and I never touched it again.

Is it a super nice handguard you hope holds value? Does it need to be clone correct?

If not, make the hole(s) you need.
To me its super nice and logo specific to the build (Grendel Hunter brand). At first glance it looks like many other handguards but closer look, its geometry blends in with the non milspec upper receiver geometry. My guess is I dont think I could find a replacement that matches the upper reciever...

Yeah, I wont be modifying it.
1686630594842.png

Was this a factory built upper direct from Grendel Hunter?

Assuming you're running factory loads, I would think they'd already have the gas adjustment set.

Have you shot it yet?
I havent shot it yet, I just got it a week ago. It was custom built to my specs by Grendel Hunter. I dont think this is one to modify, I just wish I didnt have to remove the handguard to adjust the gas flow.
If I recall, all Grendel Hunter upper builds are test fired. But I dont know if that means they adjusted the gas block.

So my adjustable had two screws as well. One was the actual gas adjustment and the other was a set screw to hold the adjustment screw. Bottom line you will need to loosen and tighten both for any adjustments.

I initially set mine full open. Was getting roughly a 1 o'clock ejections. Removed the handguard and turned the gas screw down one full turn. Was getting consistent 3-4 o'clock ejections and I never touched it again.
It sounds like its a one time adjustment so not worth modifying. But regardless any temptation I had to dremel some clearance has been snuffed out now.

I havent shot it yet, I just got it a week ago. It was custom built to my specs by Grendel Hunter. I dont think this is one to modify, I just wish I didnt have to remove the handguard to adjust the gas flow.
If I recall, all Grendel Hunter upper builds are test fired. But I dont know if that means they adjusted the gas block.
Copy that. Considering the company I'd be shocked if they test fired it and didn't adjust the gas if it was needed. I'd send a box of factory loads through it and see how she acts. If you're cycling and ejecting correctly then you've got nothing to do but enjoy.

Copy that. Considering the company I'd be shocked if they test fired it and didn't adjust the gas if it was needed. I'd send a box of factory loads through it and see how she acts. If you're cycling and ejecting correctly then you've got nothing to do but enjoy.
If they test fired it I cant find any wear on the BCG. Finally some marks are showing up from me cycling it. The entire upper is pristine.
I think thats the plan, I need to find some factory ammo now and will be reading up how to adjust it and proper cycling and ejection. It doesnt sound too complicated.

If they test fired it I cant find any wear on the BCG. Finally some marks are showing up from me cycling it. The entire upper is pristine.
I think thats the plan, I need to find some factory ammo now and will be reading up how to adjust it and proper cycling and ejection. It doesnt sound too complicated.
Did you get a used target and maybe even a couple spent cases. A lot of times company's will ship these items to show its been tested.

In any case, ya gotta shoot it to know where its at and then work from there if needed.

None of it is overly complicated, but its ALL tons of fun.

Did you get a used target and maybe even a couple spent cases. A lot of times company's will ship these items to show its been tested.

In any case, ya gotta shoot it to know where its at and then work from there if needed.

None of it is overly complicated, but its ALL tons of fun.
nope, nothing but an invoice. It came well packed in a very discreet plain box.

Some of the instructions I read suggest to start over but if GH test fired it I think I should start where its at and see what it does. I need to pick up some ammo if I can find it locally this week otherwise I have to wait till a web order can arrive. Ultimately I will handload a hunting round for this but I'm too excited about seeing how it shoots. This one is a for fun bucket list project that 114 brought to the surface but as its finally come together I wish I would have done it a long time ago. Its going to be a ton of fun to put to use.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top