JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
nope, nothing but an invoice. It came well packed in a very discreet plain box.

Some of the instructions I read suggest to start over but if GH test fired it I think I should start where its at and see what it does. I need to pick up some ammo if I can find it locally this week otherwise I have to wait till a web order can arrive. Ultimately I will handload a hunting round for this but I'm too excited about seeing how it shoots. This one is a for fun bucket list project that 114 brought to the surface but as its finally come together I wish I would have done it a long time ago. Its going to be a ton of fun to put to use.
Gotcha

Personally, I wouldn't start over. Especially since you don't even know where you're starting from at this point. Just gotta shoot it.

There's always a chance for further tweaking too once you start handloading for it.

I really enjoyed my Grendel. Was glad I did it, even though it wasn't the most practical. Then or now...

It's nothing to take off the handgaurd. Just those two screws and pull it off. Don't mar up your forend.
☝️This. Just those 2 set screws and it'll slide right off. Won't mess with your barrel nut at all and you have alignment tabs so re-installation is a no brainer.

The side screw is your gas adjustment. The back screw is your set screw... and yes... as other stated, you need access to both. Unless you're swapping between standard loads and subsonics or flipping a muzzle ear protector on and off... it's pretty much a one time deal. Dial it in, set it and forget it.

Just for that... I wouldn't want to be messing with handguard mods either.

nope, nothing but an invoice. It came well packed in a very discreet plain box.

Some of the instructions I read suggest to start over but if GH test fired it I think I should start where its at and see what it does. I need to pick up some ammo if I can find it locally this week otherwise I have to wait till a web order can arrive. Ultimately I will handload a hunting round for this but I'm too excited about seeing how it shoots. This one is a for fun bucket list project that 114 brought to the surface but as its finally come together I wish I would have done it a long time ago. Its going to be a ton of fun to put to use.
If you just dial it in for a midline ejection angle and blowback... giving yourself a little room + and - it'll be just fine. Later on, if you decide to make a hard shift one way or the other you can always adjust again accordingly. 2 screws is hardly a hardship, but to be aware that every time you do back the set screws in and out again you're going to get a bit of thread stretch. A torque driver is your friend and don't go nuts on it. Not that it would matter that much if you're only doing it a couple few times, but just to be aware.

I really enjoyed my Grendel. Was glad I did it, even though it wasn't the most practical. Then or now...
Theres nothing practical about buying a "modern sporting rifle". Ive got better calibers to hunt with too, but sometimes in life we just want to mix things up a bit and have some fun. I do think the grendel should make a fine deer caliber.

but to be aware that every time you do back the set screws in and out again you're going to get a bit of thread stretch. Not that it would matter that much if you're only doing it a couple few times, but just to be aware.
the set screws to adjust the gas block?

the set screws to adjust the gas block?
Sorry... no no. The handguard clamping bolts. My bad. (It's late) 🤪

If the threads get too stretched out it may not have the travel to fully tighten the handguard clamp or vibrate loose from recoil... meaning you may need to up your Loctite game or add washers. All remediable, but really... shouldn't be an issue anyway if you don't go crazy on the ft/lbs when clamping it back down.

Last Edited:
theres 2 set screws. One in the front I could access with a long allen wrench.
But my understanding is the one I need to access to adjust the gas flow is on the side and its bocked by the handguard....
(Im assuming this is common because the first youtube instruction on adjusting gas blocks I found shows with the handguard removed completely)

View attachment 1436804
This angle makes it look like you should be able to use a ball head hex wrench to get to it.

If it was mine I'd drill a hole the proper size right where the gas block screw lines up with the handguard. It would only need to be the size of the hex wrench and shouldn't be noticeable.

Should be good. I dont plan on adjusting the gas all the time, just set it for a good hunting load and leave it.
I have to say... I really do like those Grendel Hunter guards. I have a couple myself.👍

I would avoid drilling them, too... if at all possible.

Go to a range and shoot the rifle. At this stage it is about what the rifle does, not how well it shoots. One bullet at a time in the mag.
Does the bolt stay open after the shot? Do it 2-3 times
Where does the empty cartridge go upon ejection? 2 o'clock. 3-4 oclock, or even 5 oclock? Have someone watch it for you.

Then if you have a problem with either of those then maybe you do need to adjust it. At this point you can remove the HG. Will probably shoot just fine.

Where does the empty cartridge go upon ejection? 2 o'clock. 3-4 oclock, or even 5 oclock? Have someone watch it for you.
If you're the loner type with no friends... just take a knee next to your vehicle, fire a few rounds, then check the ding pattern in your paint job.

... or I guess you could just bench rest it, check your deflector to see where the brass is hitting, then look and see where they are landing.

If you're the loner type with no friends... just take a knee next to your vehicle, fire a few rounds, then check the ding pattern in your paint job.

... or I guess you could just bench rest it, check your deflector to see where the brass is hitting, then look and see where they are landing.
Most phones have cameras. Just point the camera at you and film a few rounds. Watch footage, viola!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top