JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Everyone,

Thank you in advance.

I was thinking of purchasing an AR-10 platform. One of these two:

#1: Windham Weaponry R18FSFSM-308 Rifle - Item# 1406948

#2: Armalite AR-10 Tactical Rifle

I wanted to know if these sights would fit:

Micro Set - M4 Front and Dioptic Rear -BLK | Troy Industries

The sights from Troy seem to be metal rather than plastic and offer night sight options.

I really don't want "optics" ; I'm perfectly happy with the open sights on my muzzle loaders, lever actions and shotguns and,
I'll never have to worry if my battery is running low during a Bear hunt...

These will be the primary, long term sights so I wanted metal sights and protective wings.

I was also interested in a source for magazines. Armalite lists only 10 round magazines on their website- all others being
out of stock.

Blessings,

LongBeard

Why wouldn't they fit?

Your reply is non sequitur . I have no experience setting up an AR 10 or 15 pattern. Why would I
spend $200.00 on a set of sights that didn't fit, that is why I asked the question.

I was told that there is no "Mil Spec" for the AR-10 unlike the AR-15 pattern so the parts can vary
widely.

#1: Will the sights even attach securely to the top rails? Will they be in proper alignment to the bore?
#2: Will they be at the proper height above the bore.
#3: Will they have enough windage and elevation to properly sight in?

I could go on; I just don't want to throw money away. I wanted to check before I made my purchases.

Thank You,

LongBeard

Your reply is non sequitur . I have no experience setting up an AR 10 or 15 pattern. Why would I
spend $200.00 on a set of sights that didn't fit, that is why I asked the question.

I was told that there is no "Mil Spec" for the AR-10 unlike the AR-15 pattern so the parts can vary
widely.

#1: Will the sights even attach securely to the top rails? Will they be in proper alignment to the bore?
#2: Will they be at the proper height above the bore.
#3: Will they have enough windage and elevation to properly sight in?

I could go on; I just don't want to throw money away. I wanted to check before I made my purchases.

Thank You,

LongBeard

Understood. The sights you linked are indeed for the AR platform. They will fit any standard picatinny rail which both of the rifles you linked have. Alignment to the bore depends on if the forward rail is properly aligned, not on the sights themselves. Height will be fine. Windage and elevation adjustments SHOULD be no problem but too many variables to say for sure.

they will work, but they're marketed for use with a higher pic rail than most ARs, so you might have to squish your face down a bit to get a good sight picture. That also reduces your available elevation adjustment, but I doubt you would shoot that far with irons.

Those will give you a more standard AR cheek weld, and are a little cheaper.

they will work, but they're marketed for use with a higher pic rail than most ARs, so you might have to squish your face down a bit to get a good sight picture. That also reduces your available elevation adjustment, but I doubt you would shoot that far with irons.

Ah yeah you are correct sir. The Micros are a little bit shorter. They'll work, but the above recommendations are probably better. :)

Not to dissuade you in any way on how you want to set up your rifle, but mayhaps consider a fixed magnified optic? 3x, 4x whatever, with iron sights as a backup to said optic.

Course, absolutely depends upon the purpose of said rifle as well.

Fun & to see how well/far you can shoot it solely in irons? Fantastic!

Anything else, IMO, optic. With irons secondary.

Understood. The sights you linked are indeed for the AR platform. They will fit any standard picatinny rail which both of the rifles you linked have. Alignment to the bore depends on if the forward rail is properly aligned, not on the sights themselves. Height will be fine. Windage and elevation adjustments SHOULD be no problem but too many variables to say for sure.
Thank You, I'm just old & stubborn: I just don't like spending money that I don't have to and I like to do
things right the first time. I have a Weatherby with a Leupold scope that hasn't moved in 30-35 years...
I also have a rifle made in Germany; I made sure it would take available bases and rings (Remington 700)
before purchase.

Thanks,
Longbeard

Thank You, this all helps. I shoot iron sights well for my age & I don't mind the cheek weld. When I last had
my .54 muzzle loader out I hit a 24"X 24" steel plate 3 times out of 4 @ 100 yards and a Ram 2 times out of 3
@ 200. My sights are a front post with a white bead and a Ghost ring. Not bad for an old man.

Blessings,
LongBeard

Thank You,

LB

I think it would be fun to run irons on a flat rail AR-10. A flat top, quad rail to get the front and rear like 600" apart.. talk about a great sight radius!!

When I purchased my LWRC M6A2, I noticed that my rear flip up back-up sights were loose and wouldn't stay in the same place shot to shot. I contacted LWRC customer service and was told that they were only BUS and not to worry about it. At $200 dollars that they charge for them as a separate deal, I would think that they could do better. They finally sent me a new rear sight, but is was fubar also.

I took both of them apart and was able to make one good sight and sent the other Frankenstein sight back. I did find one problem with the original, the ball bearing that is an integral part of the windage adjustment was missing. The sight that they got back was without the bearing, and the split pin was slightly munched getting it back in. Mine went in perfectly.

Hopefully that sight that I sent back doesn't end up on another AR. For a gun in the $2,000 range, QC ought to be better.

The LWRC piston driven AR is awesome. I saw it at Sportsmans Warehouse, $200 dollars off. I had wanted one for a long time. I called my Wife and she said go for it. Bought a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x and Vortex cantilever mount for it. My second piston driven AR style rifle.

A) don't buy Troy. They hired the spotter from Ruby Ridge and some other wiers anti gun person.

B) why run flip ups if they are the primary sight? Get some daniel defense fixed sights, or a fixed front and carry handle rear for range adjustment, if you want to stretch out the range of the .308!

Why would I spend $200.00 on a set of sights

Not to bust your chops, but $200??? Are you kidding me? IMHO, iron sights are a backup for semi close range. You can get others for much less.

Consider running a fixed optic on the top rail and a set of offset flip up.

Not to bust your chops, but $200??? Are you kidding me? IMHO, iron sights are a backup for semi close range. You can get others for much less.

Consider running a fixed optic on the top rail and a set of offset flip up.
I guess that depends on how you define close range (or semi close). Realistically, i can do 100% of my shooting with irons, i just have an easier time with red dots due to an eye dominance thing.

I think spending cash on a good set of irons (back ups or not) is a good thing. Every other style of optic could break more easily (if you get a GOOD set of irons, especially if theyre flip up)

My m.i. flip ups werent cheap, but they lockup very solid and adjust correctly.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top