JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My Brother has an Armalite AR-10 and the gun only functions with match grade ammo when he uses other ammo it will not chamber the next round or it will do kind of a stove pipe jam. Is this normal or is there something wrong with his gun? Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to fix it?

Likely it's short stroking. There are a variety of reasons. He could check the alignment of the clamp on gas block. I also noticed that when aI put on aftermarket midlength handguards on mine, that without modification, the gas block was too far forward and would cut off the gas.

I have never had that problem with my armalite. does it do this on the first round being chambered? after locking the bolt back and releasing it? If it is only happening after the first round then it sounds like short stroking. If it even on the first round, i would try chambering a round by hand. see if it will chamber fully. also, you might want to see about getting a head space gauge.

I used to have a feed problem with 2 different armalite ar-10's that i have, it ended up being the feed ramps needed re-worked. now they run flawlessly.
take a bullet that hangs up, put it in a mag ,pull back charging handle,then slowly allow the charging handle to come forward( with safety on of course and pointed in a safe direction) as the round is stripped from the mag, see where it is hitting the feed ramp. this is where the ramps need to be blended properly. also try a different mag as maybe the latch slot on the mag you are using is not manufactured properly and may not be in the proper position in the mag well. I sent mine back to armalite and they fixed it for free( lifetime warranty)...P.S. if he has an armalite ar-10T he is only supposed to use new or match grade ammo as the barrel tolerances are to tight for re-loads. also if he is shooting 180grain or bigger ,the gun may not be able to handle a round that big( it will be hitting the back of the buffer spring upon bolt cycling.)

So see if I am understanding you, if you have 20 rounds of match ammo it will shoot the whole mag without any problems

but if you put a full mag of surplus 308 it will not function?

Doubt it is the gas block, match 308 is not loaded as hot as surplus. Are the bullets the same weight? is the match 168 gr and the surplus like 150 or 180?

Could be your chamber is too tight so match ammo will fit in and extract ok, while surplus ammo is not to spec so extraction and feeding are a problem.

My experience with AR's is that the chambers run a little loose, although I don't know what the problem is at all.

How is overall case length on the surplus compared to the match? When you extract a round that won't feed, are there any rifling marks on the bullet? The bullets are not only different weights, but probably different shapes.

Is the overall (OAL) length on the surplus within specs?

Does anyone have a set of 308 go, no goes?

??

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads