JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Afternoon everyone!

I'm just starting out coyote hunting and so far no luck. The one time I happened across one a couple weeks ago I didn't have my license yet. Now I do.

Is there anyone out there who likes to call them in and wouldn't mind someone to tag along? I have my own rifle, ammo, gear, truck but am lacking the knowledge that you gain from years of experience.

If you are looking for a hunting partner reach out and let's go tag some yotes!

Pic for attention. I was set up in this spot the other day and was calling. The wind changed and ruined all chances of getting anything there. Damn

57A4C866-FE8B-4589-9A9A-E342EA0B8D01.jpeg

Afternoon everyone!

I'm just starting out coyote hunting and so far no luck. The one time I happened across one a couple weeks ago I didn't have my license yet. Now I do.

Is there anyone out there who likes to call them in and wouldn't mind someone to tag along? I have my own rifle, ammo, gear, truck but am lacking the knowledge that you gain from years of experience.

If you are looking for a hunting partner reach out and let's go tag some yotes!

Pic for attention. I was set up in this spot the other day and was calling. The wind changed and ruined all chances of getting anything there. Damn

View attachment 1192123
Changing winds not going to blow all your chances. Wind blows, wind changes directions . that just happens, and Coyotes going to sniff, that what they do . But if it daylight and they can sniffing you, then that is close enough to get shot also .

If you closer area to me, i would help you setup and call for you and let you shoot . Is Not that much to know, just a few basics to get you rolling with setting up and calling . Is probably someone here that lives in your area to go out a couple times with you.

If you really wanna get serious about it I would definitely recommend a decoy dog. I've had coyotes come in without calling and with bad wind. The dog makes a world of difference. I've only killed a few coyotes so what do I know....

Good Luck, I am way to far away to help, But keep at it. It was awhile before I called in my first dog, and I had called several in before I put all the pieces together.
When you are looking for places to setup, look for food scources. Rodents, Rabbits, ground squirrels, etc... I have had my best luck around farming operations than in forest land.
This time of year the coyotes are denned up, and less vocal. In just a few weeks the mom and dads will be trying to feed a family and more likely to be out looking for an easy meal. and as summer comes on the pups of the year are out learning to hunt. Those are the times to learn from the young and dumb and desparete. DR

I'd love to if I lived on that side. I sold my call recently to a member here and I'm hoping he is getting good use out of it. Kind of miss it.

In OR with all the trees and vegetation, it's not hard to hunt yotes. Back in NV with miles of empty desert it was a lot harder. Here they come in close. Shots longer than 200 yards are rare. Most I've taken were within 100 yards. In fact I've actually missed easy shots at within 50 yards as I was aiming downhill and didn't hold low.

I think the key to OR is the learning the calls themselves. Knowing which call works best in your area is key. I've learned the best calls for the clear cuts out west (tillamook), all you need is to get a good system of calls on an electronic caller and sit back and wait. They will come right up to you.

I always take a 22-250 and a shotgun. The 12ga gets to do most of the work. I'm 4 days a week calling, killed alot of coyotes in the last 15 years. Get in the thick nasty stuff and use a dog like I said before

Thank you everyone for all of the advice!

The biggest thing is just going to be getting out and doing it. Finding the areas that are good. Maybe I'll head out this weekend and see what I can find.

I plan on using my AR or my REM 700 .22-250

We see a decent chunk of coyotes following deer on our game cameras. I have called a few in calling deer and elk, they have run up the road or trail I just walked down, so I don't know how worried they are on smell.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top