JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up a jug of WC846 to reload .308 and .223 I also would like to use it for .270. As the .270 uses the 30-06 case I was hoping it would work for the .270 as well. Basically I am told I could use BLC-2 data for the WC846, less maybe 10% to start.
My question is do you guys think I could use 30-06 load data for loading the .270? Starting low and working up?

Any input would be great!

846 isn't the best powder for '06, A little too quick, More suited to the .308 and you may see the same issue in .270.

Might be OK if you're willing to stick with lighter bullets, close to 100 gr. Anything much heavier and you'll either have too much of a pressure spike or the case won't be filled sufficiently to prevent detonation.

846 is a good powder, just not for the higher capacity cases like the '06 or .270.

The burn rate chart I was looking at is on the back of my load book, it is short. There is only 70 powders on it. The one I found online has 173. BL-C(2) is 105 and W748 is 103, I can now see how these powders may be a little fast. Because I have a bunch of the 846 I will give it a try and see what happens. So far with help from others I have found 3 loads for .270 using lighter bullets. I will give a call to Hodgdon and see what they have to say.
If anyone has any more personal experience with these powder in the .270 please share them here.

Thanks to all for your help!

Mike

It is not canister-grade, so be careful!
Non-Canister grade, or if you like, Mil-spec; has a much larger Spec range. Meaning that it maybe quite a bit off of the data you use, or have some wide swings throughout the container.

There are 2 different WC846's, each with their own little "quirks". Remember that it was "Surplus" for a reason. Likely they are going to tell you WHAT that reason was. Especially from Jeff, they just say things like "recent pulldown".

That is a General Dynamics powder, and given Hodgdon's relationship with them(all ball powders come from GD) they should be helpful.

I called Hodgdon and was told that BL-C(2) was not suited for bullets heavier than 110gr in .270. I did not ask about WC846. So it looks like I will only use it for 90 to 110gr bullets to plinck with, I only punch paper any more any way.

Thanks to all fo your input!
Mike

That is true.... I just wanted heavy bullets to use for longer shots :gun20:

You'll then be better off with a different powder for the heavier bullets. Trying to use one powder beyond it's capabilities isn't usually productive. Either poor performance of the round or serious danger to both rifle and shooter. Neither are worth trying to save $20 or so for a pound of powder.

bballer182 pointed me to some loads for 90,100 and 110 bullets. I ordered a box of Hornady 110 v-max to see how they work out. Other than that I will only use the WC846 for the .308 and .223 as it was intended. I have other powders for the 130, 135, 140 and 150 bullets for the .270. When I call Hodgdon they explained when that type of powder is not for the heavy .270 bullets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top