JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering an AR in one of the 6mm wildcats. (AR15 platform). Mostly for coyote hunting and the occaional deer / antelope. I am looking at the 6mm woa and considering Carey Custom Rifles to build an upper as one possiblility. The 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC are not really what I am thinking. Appreciate the experience/feedback you may have.

I have alot of fun with my Tikka T3 rebarreled to 6x45 (223 Remington necked up to 6mm). It shoots the 75 grain Hornady HP's at 2900 fps or so and the 55 grain Nosler Ballistic tips are doing close to 3200 fps. Accuracy has been exceptional, generally 1/2" or sometimes smaller 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I have killed a few coyotes with it without incident. Hardly any recoil at all, I like to be able to see the impact in my scope...:)

I don't see any reason this wouldn't work for you too. All you need to convert your AR is a new barrel... that's it, that's all. Same mags, same bolt, no other parts, just a new barrel.

I shot next to a guy one time with an AR that used a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6mm. I've never seen an AR rifle shoot all that great, except that one. It was shooting nearly as good as a full custom 6BR rifle I was shooting.

I like a caliber that has Lapua brass available for it. Lapua makes 6.5 Grendel brass you can easily neck down, although you may not want your AR to tear up such expensive brass.

I'm running an 18" 6x45 aka 6mm-223 barrel from Black Hole Weaponry on one of my ARs. 70 to 80 grain bullets seem to be the sweet spot. predatormasters forum has a lot of guys who shoot these, and they have compiled some load ammo. For the most part powders that work for 223 are where you want to start.

Nate

fwiw - I also have 223 and 6.8 spc uppers, which are great for what they do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top