JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Source? I'm not buying that.

It was in a recent article in the "coptalk" column Ayoob writes for either American Handgunner or Combat Handguns magazine. He discusses the major calibers and popularity with law enforcement. One of the agencies mentioned using 9mm was Portland Police with the 147gr hst. I might have remembered the numbers wrong but I definitely remember that 45 GAP was ahead of 9mm. Surprised me as well. Wish I kept it but I've been throwing out magazines. Will try to find it online.

Update: Here is a link to the article

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanHandgunner/AHJF11/?page=22

My memory is failing me in my middle age, he was referring to state police issue. The 45 gap was next to last nationwide for State Troopers. In last place? 9mm

Last Edited:
Believe it or not, more LEO's nationwide use 45 GAP (5 agencies) than 9mm (2 agencies), at least according to a recent Mas Ayoob article.

.45GAP was one of those solution-looking-for-a-problem rounds. What LE carries is really of little concern to me anyway...I carry a .45ACP (and sometimes a 9x18Mak) now, but in the past it has been a variety of things including 7.62x25 and .44Mag.

.45GAP was one of those solution-looking-for-a-problem rounds. What LE carries is really of little concern to me anyway...I carry a .45ACP (and sometimes a 9x18Mak) now, but in the past it has been a variety of things including 7.62x25 and .44Mag.
It did solve a problem for some people, namely, how to carry a 45 round in a smaller gun that conceals deeper but still feeds reliably. Deep concealment is important if you live in a hysterically anti gun area. Earlier this year they evacuated a Fred Meyers in my area because a guy had a cell phone that someone mistook for a gun. Getting made is not an option for me, and I can't conceal a 1911 that well.

As far as LEO use, I use that as a gauge as to whether or not a round will be around for a while. If agencies are using it, I will be able to find ammo for mine.

By the way, thanks everyone who helped me out, thanks to you guys I was able to get some ammo.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top