JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've got a full size on the way, traded my SA high cap for it. Been reading a ton of reviews going back to the very beginning, and watching a ton of vids too, of course. Not the first time I've looked into it, I first got intrigued by the PX 4 several years back, did some research, and decided it needed to be on my "someday" list. Well, someday has arrived, I should be able to pick it up next week :D.

I'm most interested in info/opinions/experience with the full size .45 ACP version, seems there's not nearly as many of those around as the 9mm and .40. Two things of primary curiosity, how is it for concealed carry, and how's the recoil? Reviews are really mixed on the latter, some say the recoil is really mild, the .45 feels like a 9, and the 9 feels like a .22. Others say not much different than any other comparable pistol. Size and weight is very similar to the Sig P220 I used to have, recoil was never an issue for me with that pistol. Also very close to the CZ P-09 I still have, I'm looking forward to shooting those two side by side. The CZ is my current carry piece, the Beretta is actually a little smaller and lighter, so I could see it giving the CZ a run for that position ;).

Anyway, looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experience, will post some of my own when I get the chance. Later.

Dave

Nice looking gun. Is that a polymer frame? I have Jericho in 45acp. It shoots like a dream but it's all steel and a but heavy for concealed carry.

Yup, polymer frame. The Jericho is basically a CZ clone, aka Baby Eagle, as I'm sure you know, and uses the standard Browning design tipping barrel. The PX 4's claim to fame is its rotating barrel, it's said that it helps reduce felt recoil, among other things. Also supposed to be the strongest action Beretta makes in a pistol, it was designed around the .40 S&W rather than the 9mm. Downside is it doesn't work with silencers, since the barrel rotates both directions, a silencer WILL come loose in short order, not a good thing. Since I have no intentions of adding a suppressor to my collection any time in the foreseeable future, not a concern to me. Later.

Dave

For whatever it's worth, here is my opinion on the PX4 in .45

I have a PX4 in .45. Mine is really beat up from lots of carrying in the woods but still shoots great. While they won't win any beauty contests , they are very sturdy and well built guns. I got it because at the time I got it used for very cheap. To me the recoil is just the same as any other polymer .45. I did have problems with it failing to feed my reloads when I use lead or plated bullets. The same rounds feed just fine in other guns. No problems when I use sturdier FMJ bullets though. My theory is that something about the feed ramp or chamber geometry of PX4 causes the softer bullets deform or hang up during feeding.

The good: The gun is durable and well built. Its nice that you can insert a fully loaded mag with the slide forward without too much effort.

The bad: You probably won't find mags or holsters on the shelf anywhere. The grip texture(complete lack of) is terrible. It is a very "slippery" gun and would benefit alot from something like a set of Talon Grips. Low magazine capacity compared to other polymer .45 options(Glock/FNX), but maybe that's ok due to mag bans.

Bottom line: I think there are better polymer .45 options like Glock or the FN FNX. Mine certainly isn't the first gun I would grab out of my safe in an emergency, but I don't regret buying it at all. It fits the role I bought it for perfectly(cheap, knock-around woods gun). If you just want one because you like them or just want to have something different then go for it! It is fun to shoot!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top