JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been debating over what short to mid range optic to purchase for my Rock River 16" 1-9 twist AR. I usually shoot iron sights but my ol eyes aren't what they used to be so I would like some magnification for those longer shots. I like to shoot off bench, sitting, prone and I also shoot PR at TCGC. If money was no object I would be looking at the top end, but I have many shooting habits to keep funded. Does anyone have info (good or bad) about the Nikon M-223 2-8x32 Rapid Action Turret Nikoplex. I believe I like it a little over the BDC model. Any opinions between the two? They go for a little over $300. Or any other comparable scopes you might recommend? I could go a little higher if I thought it was worth it.

I have that exact scope on my Spike's Tactical AR 16" middy, 1-7 twist. I like it, for shooting 200+ yards I wish I had purchased something with more magnification. The glass is bright and clear. Once you have the scope sited, you can re-zero the turrets, then adjust scope for distance based on shooting distance. Scope is calibrated for 55gr rounds. When I bought it, Nikon was having a promotion where they included the mount with the scope. That saved me $100 over having to buy a mount. The negative to that is that don't have a quick disconnect if I want to take the scope off and shoot with the iron sites.

I don't have a lot of experience with other scopes. I picked this one based on several factors. Nikon rep for quality optics, good price/value ration, made for the AR platform, and free mount.

Good to hear about the brightness, clarity and quick set zero. I know 8 power is not the very best for longer distance, but it will be better than irons for me. I also wanted it for the lower power variability quick acquisition. How is the speed to sights for close range?
I hope I can find a package deal including the mount. That would be great. I've been testing a mount on my RR by taking it off and back on with an older scope. Sometimes it is within a sub-moa and other times it is off by as much as 3" at 100yrds. So it doesn't work the way I wanted it to. Have you (or anyone) found a "really good" mount for an AR?

I have the 1-4 M223, picked it up on sale for $350 with the M223 mount. It's OK but I now wish I had spent a little more and bought the Viper 1-4. I see a noticeable difference between those two scopes as far as clarity and brightness. Of course the Viper is a few hundred more, but worth it IMHO.

PDXSparky, Sounds like it's time to pick up a case of 223 and head out to the range? It's sure fun to rapid fire an AR!

madcratebuilder, I haven't checked out the vortex line yet. Dah, I use a Vortex spotting scope and looked at a higher power Vortex a while back, but just have not checked out their lower powers yet. Thanks for reminding me, I'll look into them. You say they cost a few hundred more?

I've been using the M-223 Series Scopes since they came out. Yes, I do some work for Nikon so I am a bit biased.....
It is an excellent scope that myself and friends have used to shoot out ot 600 yards on numerous occasions.
I opted for the 3-12 Rapid Action Turret to really help my old eye's reach out to Mr. Coyote. I'm also a big fan of the M-223 Mount. It does all you want it to and is rock steady. Drop me a note if you have any questions about our M-223 line of scopes.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

That 3-12 looks real nice on you AR...

I am looking online and in books at everything I can find in the 1-4 or 2-8 range. Still trying to decide. I hope to get to compare a lot of them "near" side by side next month. That may help me eliminate some and narrow it down a bit more. I was hoping to stay in the low $300 range but I see some nice advantages by adding a couple hundred more. However, Nikon's M223 line is definitely in the running.

Brick, You are going about it the right way. Getting as much info as you can, comparing glass and features is also important. One of the best features on the Nikon is the rapid Action turret or BDC Reticle and having the use of Spot On. Good luck choosing, let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

bman940,

How does that spot on technology work anyway? I know the rapid action turret is set up for a 5.56 at 3000+fps, but what if I shoot .223 through it most of the time at sub 3000 fps. Can I purchase a different turret for every bullet I shoot? And, if so, what does it cost per turret? Would it be in conflict of interest to have the BDC (if you needed a very quick long shot) plus the rapid action turret (if a guy had a couple seconds longer to really dial a target in)?

Brickman, If you are going to shoot something other then .223,55 gr. bullet at 3240 fps I would suggest the BDC reticle. That way your rifle,ammo and scope will be dialed in together. Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program puts all the information you enter in a formula to give you corresponding distances for each BDC circle on your particular Nikon Scope. If you like the Rapid Action Turret feature but want to shoot a different weight ammo you can order custom made turets to your specific shooting needs. Those custom turrets run just under $100 and the turn around time is roughly 5 working days.
I don't think it would be a conflict of interest to have a BDC reticle AND a Rapid Action Turret, redundant yes, but I think it would work.
We just came out in late 2011 with our M-223 Laser IRT. A built in rangefinder and 2.5-10 BDC scope. I've put 1000 rounds of .223 and 1000 rounds of .308 downrange under this scope and I was very impressed.
Brick, I hope this info helps you out ? Let me know if you have any further questions.
The Custom Turret site is located on Spot On web-site.
Happy Holidays.
Bart

I am very interested in more details, info, etc on the M-223 Laser IRT. Can you elaborate on what you liked about it? I am not finding any reviews of it. Might be just what I am looking for.

Being able to range a target then move the scope and have the ranging continue is huge. Obviously utilizing the BDC Reticle and Spot On is a great advantage as well. A couple of guys I have spoken to in Mn. use the older model for predators up there and really like it, they are both planning on getting this new unit when they have an opportunity. I haven't seen it in big outdoor retailer's yet, but I'm certain you can find it on-line.

I've been looking at these scopes all morning on various websites and they seem reasonable as far as price and of course, we're talking about Nikon so I know the quality is great.

But my question, and I think it was asked before, I have an Aimpoint Pro on my AR now for CQC and want the ability to switch back and forth as needed or as the conditions dictate.

The Aimpoint has a quick release, the M223 mount does not, does anyone see any issues????

image.jpg

Depends if you'll really switch back and forth between the 2 optics. You could by a QD mount for the M-223, heck, I've even thought about it then came to the realization that I won't use it. That being said, you might be more inclined to use, or have an off-set mount that would allow you to mount the Aimpoint on the side.

x2 on the 223 nikon BDC. Perfect for most all .223 applications unless you are shooting ammo that is way outside the norm. I think you'd really like it at the PR matches. Keeps things simple and accurate which is most important in PR and in battle. Id bet you place 10 positions higher in your next match (unless you already shoot top ten).

x2 on the 223 nikon BDC. Perfect for most all .223 applications unless you are shooting ammo that is way outside the norm. I think you'd really like it at the PR matches. Keeps things simple and accurate which is most important in PR and in battle. Id bet you place 10 positions higher in your next match (unless you already shoot top ten).

Thanks S., I appreciate the X2! It is amazing how things work out when you have an open mind and try out new things. So far over 1,000,000 folks are using Spot On so something must be working for Nikon's scopes.
I'm never going to be a great match shooter, but I want to know that after a match I did as good as I am capable of doing. Not to lofty of goals!

By the way my in-laws are next town over, Forest Grove. I love the NW, especially this time of year in TX.

I used the ARMS-5 mount on mine and it re zeros great. The trick is that when I 1st mounted it I held it forward tight in the picatiny slots while tightening the thumb screws. I can pull it off to use my troy irons and reinstall it and hold it forward tight against the slots while tightening. I like this mount because I can move the rings around to get the eye relief.
Good to hear about the brightness, clarity and quick set zero. I know 8 power is not the very best for longer distance, but it will be better than irons for me. I also wanted it for the lower power variability quick acquisition. How is the speed to sights for close range?
I hope I can find a package deal including the mount. That would be great. I've been testing a mount on my RR by taking it off and back on with an older scope. Sometimes it is within a sub-moa and other times it is off by as much as 3" at 100yrds. So it doesn't work the way I wanted it to. Have you (or anyone) found a "really good" mount for an AR?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top