JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have video of my neighbor (behind my house who I've never met since we moved in about 5 months ago), coming through his fence, 15 feet onto my property which is clearly defined as not his yard as it is not inside his fence, and then take a hedge trimmer to several of my bushes.

This neighbor is actually the reason I bought the cameras in the first place because this happened once before when a tree was topped, but I had no proof of who did it, only suspected it was him. Now that I have video evidence, I have already contacted an attorney to see what the best options are to nip this in the bud, but I'm curious what others have done in the past. If there is anything I should be avoiding, etc. I purposely have not spoken with the neighbor yet because I did not want to jeopardize pursuing anything through counsel, but if they say it's not really worth pursuing, then of course I will report it and have a chat with the neighbor.

Any good experience or input from the NWFA crowd?

Before suing someone that's lived in the area longer than you it's a good idea to at least talk to them

100% agree w/ the friendly approach, aren't we always complaining that nobody talks anymore and that the society is too litigious?

To be clear, I fully intend to speak with the neighbor. I'm simply being diligent about understanding my options so that way after I speak with him, depending on how agreeable he is to ceasing trespassing on my property, I can either move on from this, or escalate it.

Spoke to an officer at the station today who recommended playing the "nice and inquisitive" neighbor, asking why there is a access panel in his fence that allows him access to my yard.

I understand this may seem trivial to some, however, I'm also considering the long term implications of a neighbor who doesn't respect my property, or where his property ends. If I were to have a dog in my yard, future kids, etc. I wouldn't want him feeling comfortable entering my property without permission.

Of course I also can't have him cutting my property, I like them growing, not being cut down, which is why I haven't cut them down myself.

Im curious if he topped the tree himself or paid for it done. Not a easy task for most people. And did he clean it up? Or just leave it in your yard or his? Was your home vacant before you moved in? Ive seen some bank neglegted properties with leaning trees that had to be taken care of before they cause damage to someone else. And it wasnt the bank that took care of them.
Id more than likely do what Stomper said. Politely go and talk, and go from there.

"access panel"? Kind of a big detail to leave out, don't ya think?

Definitely adds a wrinkle, regardless of how it came to exist, it must exist for a reason (previous common ownership - that hedge trimming theory, etc.).

+1 for friendly - especially since someone built him a door.

"access panel"? Kind of a big detail to leave out, don't ya think?

Definitely adds a wrinkle, regardless of how it came to exist, it must exist for a reason (previous common ownership - that hedge trimming theory, etc.).

+1 for friendly - especially since someone built him a door.

His fence? Your fence? Access panel? I'd be tempted to build a fence on my side blocking the "access panel", Surprise...:D

To be clear, I fully intend to speak with the neighbor. I'm simply being diligent about understanding my options so that way after I speak with him, depending on how agreeable he is to ceasing trespassing on my property, I can either move on from this, or escalate it.

Spoke to an officer at the station today who recommended playing the "nice and inquisitive" neighbor, asking why there is a access panel in his fence that allows him access to my yard.

I understand this may seem trivial to some, however, I'm also considering the long term implications of a neighbor who doesn't respect my property, or where his property ends. If I were to have a dog in my yard, future kids, etc. I wouldn't want him feeling comfortable entering my property without permission.

Of course I also can't have him cutting my property, I like them growing, not being cut down, which is why I haven't cut them down myself.

ABSOLUTELY NOT TRIVIAL.

I'd have just started with talking with him.

Now your up to talking with LEO's at the station about this?

However, apparently, haven't talked with the neighbor yet?

That's simply odd behavior. IMO.

Like you are expecting a confrontation, rather than a cordial neighborly chat. No reason to get all ball busting, just have a chat & lay it out that you expect your property line to be respected.

I still have a fealing that he had been doing the old owners this "favor" for years. So in his mind he's not only NOT doing anything wrong, he likely thinks he's helping.

ABSOLUTELY NOT TRIVIAL.

I'd have just started with talking with him.

Now your up to talking with LEO's at the station about this?

However, apparently, haven't talked with the neighbor yet?

That's simply odd behavior. IMO.

Like you are expecting a confrontation, rather than a cordial neighborly chat. No reason to get all ball busting, just have a chat & lay it out that you expect your property line to be respected.

I still have a fealing that he had been doing the old owners this "favor" for years. So in his mind he's not only NOT doing anything wrong, he likely thinks he's helping.

Well, its Seattle

Be a good neighbor.

Seriously.

It would be different if he was shooting paintballs at the side of your home.

Sounds like that neighbor likely had a good relationship with the prior owners of your home. Otherwise there wouldn't be an access gate.

Maybe you don't know your property lines, perhaps the fence is 10 feet onto his property and those bushes are actually his?

Did you have your property lines drawn up when purchasing? I'm not saying the property is or is not yours, but if you can not 100% say it is...

Also, this person is your neighbor now. He probably just is in the habit of maintaining the bushes. Maybe this person hasn't noticed you moving in since it sounds like you haven't introduced yourself yet.

So many ifs ands and buts to get a freaking lawyer involved as well as the police.

For F..ks sake man. Go talk to the guy.

I'd be a little weirded out if my new neighbor never said hi or at least introduced himself to me. Then the first point of contact was a legal notice over something that could be simply figured out via a friendly neighborly chat.

Best of luck.

We all have our own approaches to things.

That's why I have fenced all of my property.

Since doing so, I've not once had an uninvited guest be it human or critter. (except for armadillos and coons, but they're not a problem)

Ah, peace, all is peace...

For many years...My wonderful elderly neighbor has not been able to maintain any part of her yard. I mowed. I edged. I trimmed. I didn't have to, but it's the choice I made to keep the attractive neighborhood I moved into 23 years ago. And to keep my property value up, as I'd like to sell and move away someday.

This old gal recently moved away, and I have another new elderly neighbor that has no intention of maintaining the property. I could continue my pattern of being free lawn care, and I don't think my stepping into her yard to perform free yard maintenance would be considered trespassing, especially since the new neighbor was told I'm the nice old guy that takes care of his neighbors yard. But I've decided enough is enough.

My point...as others have suggested, maybe this was the agreement the previous owners had, and just maybe your neighbor is doing what he's always done and thinks it's okay. Please tell him you don't want or appreciate his help, and you view such as trespassing.

Last Edited:
(teehee) Reminds of a fateful encounter a couple years back. A POS meth idiot liked riding his dirt bike on, and tearing up, our property and I'm pretty sure was responsible for ripping off small, and smallish, objects on our property. I gave chase on foot and on mule a few times, but never caught the SOB in the act. One day I came home early from work and decided to mend the fence up top. I hike up the hill, in one hand a mallet, the other a stake, and on my hip a holstered 6" .357 Magnum revolver. I get up top and said POS, who is a pasty, short, sickly, junky, maggot comes down the hill on his scooter to encounter a 5'11", ex-boxer, guy who is very much not amused at his presence on his land. A look of pure horror crosses the goober's face. A snarl crosses my normally, smiling, joyful face and I say "This is private property. Get off it and don't come back. Understand?" He coughs out a "Ok ... ok, I'm going." Punk. :p

A guy in Oregon was charged for confronting a trespasser on a dirt bike on his posted property while he was armed .

I will look into it and let you know . It's been a couple years It was blown out of proportion of coarse

Very weird. (And I didn't "confront" him. The mentally defective, drug-addled criminal just happened to be coming down the hill as I was going up. I gave a friendly reminder of where he was. :s0155:)

Very weird. (And I didn't "confront" him. The mentally defective, drug-addled criminal just happened to be coming down the hill as I was going up. I gave a friendly reminder of where he was. :s0155:)

Here's a link . oops It was camas /wash . not Oregon . but on portland news. He did pop a couple rounds off .

Here's a link . oops It was camas /wash . not Oregon . but on portland news. He did pop a couple rounds off .

Gotcha, thanks for digging up the news story. I could see how firing rounds in his direction would land someone in jail. That was totally uncalled for and could have resulted in someone hurt or worse.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Back Top