JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, I was just checking this out and thought I might want a go at it. I have one question though. All the posts say that you use a .40 call bullet. Is that just an everyday .40 cal or something specific to the round? If it is just a easy to come by .40, I am buying a kit tomorrow!

I own one, and reload for it. Mine is a bar-sto barrel that was fitted to a colt 1911.

Use the same bullets one would buy for a 40 smith and wesson. I like the 135gr Hornady XTP loaded to 1350 fps.

Which kit are you considering?

I was thinking about the sarco kit with the compensator. I believe it is a roto 4x. What weight are you using for the springs on it? I have a lightweight commander and am wondering if I need heavier or lighter springs. NRC, did you press your own brass out of a .45 or buy new?

I'm not familiar with the sarco kit - but if you can check out on the 1911 forums I believe they reviewed a few of them.

For 135gr @ 1300 fps, or 155 at 1200 fps - I have good results with a 17 or 18 lb recoil spring. These loads have a faster recoil impulse, but they are very close to the chamber pressures of non +p 45acp ammo.

The thing to remember about real heavy (20lbs or more) recoil springs is that although they are effective at reducing reward force - but when they snap back they spring forward with a heavier/harder force. In other words, you experience wear and tear when the slide flies forward, rather than when it is blown back.

I walked into a heckuva deal on my barrel, 1000 rnds new/formed brass, and dies. I haven't tried forming any for this caliber, but I load others (TCUs, Whelens, Ackleys) and general experience in forming new cases has been that if you start with brand new brass you really don't run into many problems.

This is one of few rounds where I will take the extra step to crimp in a separate operation (after seating). Because the necks are fairly short - there isn't as much surface area for the brass to grab the bullet, and case setback can occur during recoil. Another way to insure against setback is to use powder charges that come closer to filling the available space.

Hope this helps.

Nate

Hey, I am reviving an old thread here. When I posted this a fellow offered me a barrel and I accidentally deleted the message when my box got to full. Are you still out there? Still have an extra barrel for me? I am interested, thanks

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews