JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently came across some 8 gauge ammo with a belt on it made for kiln guns and was wondering if anyone has shot/use one of these before? Any info would be great.
Also if you know where I could potentially get to see one or shoot one that would be awesome as well.

I have a few of these shells too that I came across at a rummage sale. We're never going to find a shoulder fired gun to shoot them in. They are used in the mining, cement and steel industry to knock down overhangs in mines and quarries, break up bridging or stoppages in silos and to desist boiler tubes and primarily remove slag build-up from rotary kilns.

I have a few of these shells too that I came across at a rummage sale. We're never going to find a shoulder fired gun to shoot them in. They are used in the mining, cement and steel industry to knock down overhangs in mines and quarries, break up bridging or stoppages in silos and to desist boiler tubes and primarily remove slag build-up from rotary kilns.
I figured we will never find a shoulder fired one but I wonder what the tripod mounted ones are like.
I would settle for a tripod mounted gun if I ever found one haha

Last Edited:
No you can't fire them out of it but I use the cases to reload. Tonolini is the name. Its a double hammer modern 8ga magnum. I bought it at a gunshow in 1988 where I actually saw two of them at the same show. I have never seen another before or since.

Its not legal for much but awesome with big shot. It will put 35 lead BB's in a garbage can lid at 100 yards. You can pass shoot ducks at 100 yards with it and surgically remove them from the flock without hitting extra birds. In other countries of course.

Interesting so it has a belted chamber?
I have never heard of the brand but tht does not mean much. I wonder what it would take to make a modern shotgun in 8 gauge to handle those loads 3oz is a lot of lead and they are moving pretty fast for a shotgun.

Interesting so it has a belted chamber?
I have never heard of the brand but tht does not mean much. I wonder what it would take to make a modern shotgun in 8 gauge to handle those loads 3oz is a lot of lead and they are moving pretty fast for a shotgun.
No It has a regular chamber. I don't even know what a belted chamber is and I know a whole bunch about shotguns. Could you enlighten me?

No It has a regular chamber. I don't even know what a belted chamber is and I know a whole bunch about shotguns. Could you enlighten me?
The 8 gauge industrial shells I found had a belt on them so they could not be chambered in a black powder 8 gauge or any other 8 gauge that does not have a chamber cut to accept a belted shell
I will see if I can find a picture

I know exactly what you are talking about and it means nothing. I don't need a picture as I stated these are the cases I reload. I load modern day 8 ga loads. These loads would blow up a black powder gun regardless of the brass just because of the pressures involved.

Sorry just trying to gain info here so I am probably asking newbie questions,
Would your shot gun be able shoot the 8 gage kiln gun loads then?

The only other cases I have ever seen were loaded by Eley and they did not have the goofy brass. The 8ga industrial cases are the only ones I have ever seen that look like that and are the only cases readily available and it means nothing loading 3 ounce shotshell loads. The chamber just fine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top