JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm one of the "depends on the time of year" crowd. During the warmer weather I carry my Sig P238 in an Ugly Bald Guy "Becker" IWB holster. This pistol absolutely disappears on me even in shorts and a t-shirt and I figure .380 is enough for that time of year when most people aren't wearing heavy clothes that might create penetration problems for that caliber and the concealment capability is worth it. In the fall/winter I carry my XDm compact 9mm in a Sparks VM-2. The size of the pistol makes enough of a difference I feel I need more than just a t-shirt to conceal. A hoodie or button down shirt let alone jacket make this pistol effectively invisible as well. The vm2 is a brilliant holster but I'm still getting used to how much higher the pistol rides in it compared to my other rig. I usually carry 1 spare mag for either pistol (I wear a lot of cargo khakis...) with the Sig- I need better aim- less bullets, with the Springfield if 27 rounds isn't enough I'm in deep poo...

in the past i'd been comfortable with a full size service pistol, IWB or the occasional shoulder carry... had my early CZ-75 @ the 4 o'clock position IWB for years.

suddenly it became too much. too much weight, too much size. at times it'll disappear and i can forget its there... other times it's an olympic barbell jabbing me in the kidney. it went from being my every day carry regardless of weather, to just winter carry... to occasional open carry and nightstand duty only.

i'm still trying to get myself to accept these fancy plastic subcompacts, but they sure are comfortable to carry.
too bad they don't shoot near as nice as my old CZ.....

I look forward to winter as a time where I can choose to carry some of my larger guns with ease since I cover with a coat or fleece vest. In the summer my carry weapon is a front pocket 380.

Yep, I agree its much smarter to carry a larger weapon all the time and stick with the same gun if possible.

I will upgrade to a larger weapon if I am heading downtown late at night or going into a neighborhood that challenges my comfort level.

S&W Model 29 Heritage with an Alessi shoulder rig. :s0155:

f2b71c8693e1eb3a59f26c4adb9cbd86.jpg
265f1bc2cd34c072d9bb1180f4456176.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a compact Glock 23 year round. IWB in the heat and OWB in the cold. Yesterday evening it was pretty cold in southern Oregon, so I wore my G23 with a TLR-1s light in a DSG Arms Alpha Holster (a Raven clone) covered with a dark t-shirt and a light jacket. I also brought my full size Glock 21 along in case I feel like carrying it.

I go back and fourth between a Kahr CW9 for summer and lighter clothes and a Sig 245 with ext 8rd clip for heavier stuff in the winter.
Great thing about the 245 is i can throw in the stock 6rd clip and carry it in he summer if im wearing a belt.

Another reason to carry a larger caliber full size weapon in the winter is the potential heavy clothing your attackers may be wearing.. bigger, well designed hollowpoints do better against this factor

And not to mention the biggest factor or all. what do you feel comfortable with? I'm a big guy and have big hands, so compacts dont fit my hands as well, and the extra weight of a fullsize doesnt bother me.

I carry a full size Sig P220ST winter and summer. The only time I go to the smaller G27 or SW airweight 38 is when I want a backup or am going to be wearing just shorts and a tanktop.

I've been carrying a G19 in a Serpa OWB holster lately. I have a Columbia jacket with a fleece liner that I can cinch at the bottom of the liner, I tuck it under the bottom of the holster and cinch it, that way it will not show at all even if I'm moving around a lot. It's a little hard to explain but maybe you guys will get the picture. Where I go I don't have to remove my jacket so it's my preferred method, otherwise I'll use a Crossbreed IWB holster with my G19 under an Under Armour shirt, won't show but prints like crazy lol

Up until recently 90% of the time i carry it's a service size CZ75. 16+1 of 9mm makes me happy. it's also what? 4lbs of steel. think it actually caused some damage/harm to my spine or hips or something :)

occasionally i'd pull a snubby out and carry that, but as much as i like wheel guns, they've never been comfortable to carry for me... and honestly i don't practice enough with them because apparently i don't enjoy shooting them either. just like looking at them it seems.

sometimes i'd carry a S&W 3916... compact for the time, single stack 9mm. like the thing, but it's no CZ. carried a few Glocks over the years... nothing wrong with them, they just do nothing for me.

i began a subconscious quest for something smaller and lighter. i drank the kool-aid, jumped on the band wagon and brought home a Springfield XD-S. Wee little thing that shoots pretty damn nice.

my CZ is jabbing me in the kidney at this moment, but that little Springfield may become my full time carry piece after enough rounds go down range that i feel comfortable with it.

I never carry a compact. I'm a 1911 guy, and smaller 1911s have an operation envelope that is smaller at both ends are are, therefore, less reliable than a government model.

Sometimes I don't carry at all, but I never carry anything except a milspec.

My DeSantis Speed Scabbard for my Walther PPQ finally arrived. Very comfortable at 3:15 OWB. The holster holds the weapon close to the body, so it doesn't lean out, or cause jacket bulge, but it's extremely fast to draw from. I don't zip my jacket when I carry this way. I'll go back to IWB during the summer, but this will be my primary carry during the 8 cold months.