JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Starting to get cold again (more clothing), so I'm thinking of switching to my Glock 23 for carry. Anyone carry a non-subcompact? If so what gun and holster combo? Pics are nice if you have them.

Thanks

I carry a full size pistol 99% of the time all year around. If it's cold enough for a coat I use a Galco vertical shoulder holster and carry a compact in my front coat pocket. We (my gal and I) have new matching G23s with the differential color nite sights. She will use a Bianchi pistol Pocket and I'll either use my G23 as the pocket gun/BUG to back up my G22 or BHP 40

Carry my Glock 23 pretty much year round - more so in cooler weather (i.e. wearing a jacket, fleece vest, or sweatshirt). Carry my Glock in a Kydex belt-slide holster, Fobus paddle-holster, or IWB holster. In the fall/winter, I will sometimes carry my Kimber CDP II - mostly in a Galco belt-slide pancake holster. Always carry an extra magazine too.

Starting to get cold again (more clothing), so I'm thinking of switching to my Glock 23 for carry. Anyone carry a non-subcompact? If so what gun and holster combo? Pics are nice if you have them.

Thanks

I've always been confused by this so maybe someone could explain for me. The theory is that in the winter it is colder so you wear more clothes and can carry larger guns, maybe even a shoulder holster. Is that only for people who work outside? Or do people only carry outside? Because everywhere I've been people still keep their houses and businesses at a nice warm temperature so the majority of the time I'm inside a building and not wearing heavy winter clothes.

I'm just wondering if I am more sensitive to heat and so other people just wear coats inside in the winter or are they just talking about carrying larger guns when they are running errands and won't be anywhere long enough to heat up and layer down? How does winter allow someone to carry a larger gun when it is still 68* inside every building and that's where I spend the majority of my time?

I've always been confused by this so maybe someone could explain for me. The theory is that in the winter it is colder so you wear more clothes and can carry larger guns, maybe even a shoulder holster. Is that only for people who work outside? Or do people only carry outside? Because everywhere I've been people still keep their houses and businesses at a nice warm temperature so the majority of the time I'm inside a building and not wearing heavy winter clothes.

I'm just wondering if I am more sensitive to heat and so other people just wear coats inside in the winter or are they just talking about carrying larger guns when they are running errands and won't be anywhere long enough to heat up and layer down? How does winter allow someone to carry a larger gun when it is still 68* inside every building and that's where I spend the majority of my time?

Though your remark seems condescending, I will assume it is not and give you an answer.

Some people cannot carry where they work because its against the rules or the law. I work in a federal building where carrying a firearm is illegal. While I disagree with this law, I do not violate it.

Yes, colder weather means you can conceal a bigger handgun because you wear more clothing. I don't wear a jacket during the summer, but during the winter I do, pretty simple really. When I visit business establishments, I do not regularly take off my jacket. I go in conduct my business, and leave. As far as my home, I don't wear a piece, but it is always within 3-5 seconds of reach, depending on my location within my home.

Hope that helps.

I was carrying a Glock 23 year round in a Comp Tac MTac tuckable IWB holster. The 23 isn't difficult to conceal, except in business casual. I'm 5'8, 155#'s, and my problem is having a freakishly long torso, which makes it hard to keep my shirt tucked in. Shouldn't be difficult for anyone else of normal proportions :)

Good question. For me personally, I carry all the time, at work, in my home, doing errands, everything except sleeping. I have been carrying a Ruger SR9c in a IWB holster under a tucked or untucked t-shirt all summer. In the winter, the only change I have made is to tuck my t-shirt behind my holster instead of over it, and wear a jacket for concealment. I usually just wear a light jacket since I am usually not in the elements long, just like your argument says.

At work, I work in a manufacturing shop as an engineer. I am mostly in an office, but back and forth between the shop and office drains the heat from the office. Since I can handle it fine, I usually just leave the heat off, and keep my coat on for concealment and comfort.

At home, I take off my coat and untuck my shirt, thus making my shirt the concealing garment. This covers me if I am working in the garage, the yard, or whatever else would take place at my home.

Using this method, I could carry a full-size gun during the winter, but not as much during the summer when I only have a t-shirt for concealment, instead of my jacket as well.

Though your remark seems condescending, I will assume it is not and give you an answer.

Thanks for the answer. I'm not trying to be condescending. I'm honestly trying to find out what people's situations are that make winter carry easier. in my case I can't carry at work either but it is also generally inappropriate to wear shorts to my work so my dress doesn't change much year round. Personally I take my coat off as soon as I get where I am going so I wanted to know how other people do things.

Sorry if this is badly written, I'm trying to respond from my phone.

Carry full size all year, even when taking a nap. Pants, shorts, T-shirts, Polo shirts, of coarse I don't dress all GQ with the jeans and shirts painted on. Here's the G21 with an X-concealment IWB all kydex holster. Do I print? You bet at times. Bend over and that big ol' Glock tumor shows. Bending at the knees and having a Wife run interference helps out.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike