JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious about how you like it and what brands are the best for a rifle. I think a lever action would be a great backpacking rifle that would offer a bit more stopping power than a 12 gauge when it comes to those big brown fellows deep in the bush. This is just speculation and I'm not speaking from experience. What barrel length would you recommend? Is ammo easy to come by? What would be the best load for stopping something big, brown, furry, and angry? Also, what kind of effective range can I expect to get from this round.

Thanks!

I just sold a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun to fund another project. Great rifle and shot Hornady Leverevolution sub MOA at 100 yards. I miss it already. I have heard that the older models are better (before they were bought out by Remington in 2007).

I have the Marlin 1895 Guide gun in stainless but it is older prior to Remington and ported which they do not do anymore. It is shorter so for backpacking it would be ideal. Ammo is easy to come by but not cheap, the 400gr Remington would be ideal for bear but the Hornady <broken link removed> would do in the 325gr. I load my own 300gr HP and 400gr soft points so the price isn't an issue. BiMart usually has a good supply of these brands at reasonable prices. I put the range at 200yrds as that is what I have taken deer,coyotes at.

A good rifled shotgun barrel with the Hornady Sabots <broken link removed> would be an option as well.

If you are close to Albany you are more than welcome to try the Marlin out and I have the rifled barrel on my Mossberg with the Hornady slugs.

What are you worried about that is big brown furry and angry? For a quick stop the heavy bullets loaded hot work good but there is little to no energy advantage in a 45-70 over a good 12 gauge slug. If you are stuck on a 45-70 marlins tend to be the gun of choice and shorter barrels make a lot better brush guns. One advantage with the 45-70 is you will have a little more effective range. I would limit my shots with a 45-70 to 150 yards max but that's just me people shoot them longer distances but on an open sighted lever gun built for the brush 150 yards is plenty.

I have the Marlin 1895 Guide gun in stainless but it is older prior to Remington and ported which they do not do anymore. It is shorter so for backpacking it would be ideal. Ammo is easy to come by but not cheap, the 400gr Remington would be ideal for bear but the Hornady <broken link removed> would do in the 325gr. I load my own 300gr HP and 400gr soft points so the price isn't an issue. BiMart usually has a good supply of these brands at reasonable prices. I put the range at 200yrds as that is what I have taken deer,coyotes at.

A good rifled shotgun barrel with the Hornady Sabots <broken link removed> would be an option as well.

If you are close to Albany you are more than welcome to try the Marlin out and I have the rifled barrel on my Mossberg with the Hornady slugs.

Great input guys, thanks! What do the 1895G's usually cost? I read that they have a 4 shot capacity. Do you think that is enough?

I have a basic marlin 1895. Bought it from cabelas so overpaid but it was around 700 (had bunch of gift cards or would have bought elsewhere).

Mine can hold four in the tube and one in the chamber. 5 shots should be plenty especially with the round.

Ammo cost is just shy of 2 bucks a round from my experience. Reloading is key imo as it lowers the cost to sub 50 cents a shot. (Approx). Finding ammo has been pretty easy. Can find it online or in store...same with the bullets for reloading.

Like others I would say max range is 150-200 yards. It is capable of more (read the sandy hook trials on the 45-70) but I wouldn't use it further. I have a 2-7 scope on mine since I am terrible with iron sights and have bad eye sight. It'll shoot moa or better if I do my part

I added a limbsaver to mine since I am a smaller guy and can shoot 30 rounds or so back to back withought issue.

I had a 45-70, It was an older marlin, great little gun, i want to say it was an 18" barrel, It hit hard though, I was shooting 405gr rounds through it. I cant attest for accuracy though since I only shot it a few times and it was mostly at old tvs.
The do tear bubblegum up though.

Great input guys, thanks! What do the 1895G's usually cost? I read that they have a 4 shot capacity. Do you think that is enough?

If you want a good one then you need to find an older Marlin that has the JM on the barrel. Have been hearing/reading negative stories on the newer Remington produced models. Depends on the model as to price, I paid $525 for mine new but that was back in the late 90's. If you need more than 4 rounds then you are definitely in the wrong place.......

I've owned a couple of 45-70s, of which I have neither anymore. Both were single shots and probably don't fit what you want. But the one I miss was a Browning B78. With the loads I'd worked up (very safe in that rifle) I had a 400 gr bullet at a bit over 2000 FPS. If the first shot was good, don't think a 2nd would ever be needed.

That said, an early Guide gun (ported) still makes me a bit weak in the knees. Find one. Learn to reload your own. You'll only be in trouble if you cant hit what you're aiming at.

I've owned a couple of 45-70s, of which I have neither anymore. Both were single shots and probably don't fit what you want. But the one I miss was a Browning B78. With the loads I'd worked up (very safe in that rifle) I had a 400 gr bullet at a bit over 2000 FPS. If the first shot was good, don't think a 2nd would ever be needed.

That said, an early Guide gun (ported) still makes me a bit weak in the knees. Find one. Learn to reload your own. You'll only be in trouble if you cant hit what you're aiming at.

Well put sir. Thank you! I did see the Marlin 1895 SBL which is a 6 shot and would suffice my dire need to be armed to the teeth with a shoulder cannon while tromping around in the woods. But as deadeye recommended, an older one is the way to go. Did they make the 6 shot back in the day or is this a newer model that has been recently produced.

Thank you for the input so far.

I'm not a big fan of short, ported barrels: too much noise and blast IMO. I prefer my 45-70 in a single shot version but I used to have a double that was great fun. If I were going to get a 45-70, that held more than one cartridge, I would probably get a Siamese Mauser.

Henry Arms makes a lever 45-70 rifle that has a decent write up in the American Rifleman. You might want to consider that model.

It's a fun cartridge that is easy to reload.

The .45-70 is a fantastic cartridge that unless you reload, you won't realize it's potential. In fact, I would say it's not worth investing in a rifle of the caliber unless you plan on reloading for it. That is my opinion only.

I have three Marlin 1895's and I wouldn't part with any of them. I plan on a Sharps here soon as well. All mine are JM Marlins built in Connecticut. "Remlin's" are a huge gamble and I wouldn't advise buying one unless you can fully inspect it first. Then I would scrutinize the wood to metal fit and the cycling with an eagle eye. As a matter of fact, if I were considering a Remlin I would invest in some snap caps and request to cycle the rifle before you buy it. By now, most dealers are aware on the QC issues. If they say no, I'd pass.

Here are my three.

2000 model JM stamped 1895G factory ported.

2009 model SBL all stock except for lever and scope.

2009 model STBL which was just like the SBL but it had a walnut stock and no rail. This one has been customized. Cut down to 16.25", re-crowned, WWG trigger and ejector, XS Sights, and custom stock work.

IMG_0019_zps5e1bb4db.jpg IMG_0236_zps9b60d46a.jpg 946683_494829180596887_1213146497_n_zpse13d5a58.jpg 429828_485661954846943_1291169194_n_zps9426f702.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top