JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
2000 model JM stamped 1895G factory ported.

That's one NICE guide gun!

Modeler - I've got an 1895CB w/ 26" barrel. Recoil is amped up about 50% over my Remlin guide gun. Can't imagine how much that 32" barrel gun would kick. But I'm grinning just thinking about it. :D

Would like to find a nice JM guide gun myself. And I saw a BFR in 45/70 at the lgs. Thought it over and watched a few youtube videos. Luckily it was gone by the time I went back. But if another one shows up it may find a home here.

To the OP, benjohson, 45/70s seem to multiply. Buy one and next thing you know you're buying a second one.

IMG_0019_zps5e1bb4db.jpg

My main elk rifle for the coast is a Ruger#3 carbine.
The action is hell strong and I load 500gr Hornady RN to ballistics
just under 458 mag. I don't like chasing elk into deep canyons. This makes them quiver like jello and drop with a neck shot. Wouldn't trade if for anything. I have used 270, 7mm mags, o6, 338, and none are as effective as this has been.
Most shots there are less than a hundred and closer to 40 yds. It hits like a freight train out to
a practical 250, but capable of a bit longer. The trajectory is not real flat past about 150 yds.
I had a Siamese Mauser that was chambered for the 45-70. If you find one grab it.
Also hell strong action.
I just prefer the Ruger Falling block. A single shot makes you place that shot.
You can buy any brass out to the 45-120 and cut it down if you need to.
Have not bought any for a long time, but the 45 basic brass used to be fairly plentiful.

Having grown up in Alaska, where you are the prey, though most guides and rangers have 47-70's in their vehicles, their primary carry weapon is a semi-auto 12 gauge with an extended magazine alternating between 00 buck and slugs.

As others have said, the Marlin 45/70 Guide Gun. I have a Marlin 45/70 Govt from 1979, shoots and handles like a dream, I do want a Guide Gun also though....... Loves 405 Remington's and the new Leverevolution ammo.......

I love the 45/70. What a pleasure to shoot. I went with the <broken link removed>

leverloop.JPG

Longer barrel for slightly better range. I use the Hornady LeverEvolution. Added the Wild West big loop lever to fit my big gloved hand.

Do your research. I heard bad things about "Re-Marlin" too, but have yet to experience anything but good results.

I worked in Alaska, half way between Palmer and Wasilla for a long summer. A trip to the dump meant loading up the 12 ga with OO buck fishlined ,slugs every third and a .45 on the hip. Worked like a charm. Never saw a bear at the dump every time we were "loaded for bear" ;)
My choice for poking a pissed big furry fury in the nose is...
moss4.JPG
Mossberg 590 American 9 shot. Nice size. In and out of the camper with ease. Stows easy. Packs easy. Durable and simple. Big noise maker that throws lots of weight. If the nine rounds don't do it that hole cutter on the end should make a mark.

Having grown up in Alaska, where you are the prey, though most guides and rangers have 47-70's in their vehicles, their primary carry weapon is a semi-auto 12 gauge with an extended magazine alternating between 00 buck and slugs.

Yes, a firm called AI&P makes custom shotguns, he arms the Alaska State Police and Wildlife officers. Check him out, I have one of his HD Shotguns, he builds them from scratch on a virgin 870 receiver. He said the guys in Alaska always have a 12 G with lots of slugs........ I did not grow up in Alaska, but have always felt a pump gun is much more reliable, but I have never been under that type of stress either.......

I have the Marlin 1895 Guide gun in stainless but it is older prior to Remington and ported which they do not do anymore. It is shorter so for backpacking it would be ideal. Ammo is easy to come by but not cheap, the 400gr Remington would be ideal for bear but the Hornady <broken link removed> would do in the 325gr. I load my own 300gr HP and 400gr soft points so the price isn't an issue. BiMart usually has a good supply of these brands at reasonable prices. I put the range at 200yrds as that is what I have taken deer,coyotes at.

A good rifled shotgun barrel with the Hornady Sabots <broken link removed> would be an option as well.

If you are close to Albany you are more than welcome to try the Marlin out and I have the rifled barrel on my Mossberg with the Hornady slugs.

Hey, I have a ported stainless too! I sold my blued version and pre ordered the SS as soon as production was announced.

I shoot a 300 grain hollow point - 60.5 grains of H4895 - CCI magnum primer - 2000 fps.

Check out Wild West Guns | Custom Rifles and Handguns. for custom guns and fixes for the 1895

I put on the big loop lever (I watched The Rifleman as a kid) and the trigger kit. They also make an improved "bear proof" ejector.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top