JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oversized isn't a big deal, is it?

I flew to TX last year for a hog hunt and brought an AR-10 in a case very similar to that. I also had in the case; ammo, mags, optic, suppressors (one for rifle and another for pistol) and a pistol.

No big thing apart from the TSA inspection. Upon arrival it was in the oversized area along with golf clubs and baby strollers.

Oversized isn't a big deal, is it?

I flew to TX last year for a hog hunt and brought an AR-10 in a case very similar to that. I also had in the case; ammo, mags, optic, suppressors (one for rifle and another for pistol) and a pistol.

No big thing apart from the TSA inspection. Upon arrival it was in the oversized area along with golf clubs and baby strollers.

not really, just a $160 difference. I just want to be prepared for the wallet hit lol

Have transported on U.S. airlines for 53 years. Estimated flights:40-60. Seven trips to Alaska.

My best (and impregnable) is an "ICC" aluminum. Kalispell brand is a clone or attached somehow now.

Gosh...never counted....um....5-9 trips on airlines with two full-size rifles....they never moved inside. NEVER.

Is t your Cabela's case under 62? So it shouldn't be oversized..... to the point where they charge you. Like a stroller is oversized as far as I won't go on the typical carousel so goes next to the carousel in that chute thing. But it isn't getting charged for it because it's not over 62, right?

AA calculates by adding length, width and height. My Cabela's case is 47"x17"x7" which kicks it over to oversize

We're kinda thrown in the Aspen/Rosignol vortex, I think.

That is to say that our nice sturdy rectangular slim boxes with handles are being charged at an "extra" rate just as if they were a pair of skis.

Last Edited:
For merely transporting a firearm (rifle) from one location to another in the United States, the United States Post Office is by law mandated to accept that shipment at their regular rate.

NOT TO SOMEONE ELSE. The rifle has to transport under your ownership and arrive under your ownership. This knowledge is very valuable for persons who have their rifle prepared for the hunt, live out of state, and can have that gun waiting for them for their hunt.

From personal experience, you should have the printed law in hand. I managed to find a Postmaster that did not know the law, sent me away, and then had to capitulate in front of his employees after my trip to the library two blocks away and paying 10cents for a copy of the law, which I asked him to read and he created his own embarassment.

Before the question comes, I recall a definitive qualification that the owner is the person to open the package at the far side.
hmmm, I'm gonna have to measure the AK and see if she fits in there. If she does, I'll drop the coin on replacement foam and take this behemoth back

Nope. Just unlock and they open. Sometimes they unlock as well. Never opened myself..... well, once the ticket agent made me open to see it was unloaded at the counter so I opened there. I was waiting for a bullet in the back from a over zealous TSA agent or armed security but that's another story......

The importance in knowing the law and utilizing it, allows you to pack your gun to arrive fully tuned and perfectly cased by you.

YOU pack the box. The gun never gets on a passenger liner. It is there and trackable on its entire journey.

Only done it twice. Worked good.

hmmm, I'm gonna have to measure the AK and see if she fits in there. If she does, I'll drop the coin on replacement foam and take this behemoth back

My M70 is exactly 36"... so the case I linked would work as the interior is 36-1/2"..... Take off any flaming pig or other device/ breaks from the muzzle should you have anything other than a good ol' Commie canted and you should be GTG.

I've flown with the Pelican equivalent of that several times. Also have bigger ones (Boyt & Pelican) where I've flown with a shotgun, rifle and two pistols. On American, Delta, United, Southwest, and Alaska. My big one has outside dimensions of 78" (L+W+H), and not one has said, "we need to charge extra." Problem is, that case weighs ~15# alone.
Just keep it under 50# and you're GTG.

i always fly with a Pelican 1750 case and never been told it was oversized. In a former life travelling to the Whittington center to attend the various Barrett Mil shooting courses. I never was told the M107 i had in its transport case was oversized and it was definitely over sized. i did make the Barney Fife TSA guy s**t bricks once.

I have a double rifle case that I bought for my yearly Eastern deer hunt and it is OVER SIZE.
As posted already you will pay dearly for over size or over weight.
If I want any extra guns to use back East I mail them to my brother a month of so ahead of the deer season. Some I leave there for future hunts.

Call your airline and the will give you the measurements and the total square inches you can take without being over sized.

I don't haul cloths any more, I have cloths back there that I either bought while there or took & left there.
Last trip I bought a new pair of the high Muck Boots and left there.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top