Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

any tips on cougar calling

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by elkhunter, Mar 29, 2011.

1. elkhunter

elkhunter vernonia New Member

been trying to bag a cougar by setting up and calling had lots of cotys come in but have been passing on them i want a cat. any suggestion i know there is a cat in the area have seen it at night but no luck during shooting light is calling the way to go I'm in Oregon so dogs are out of the question any help would be greatly appreciated

2. boxer13

boxer13 PNW Active Member

Buying her drinks doesn't hurt, nor does chatting her up. :D

3. elkhunter

lol i new i was ging to get that

4. jgeist

jgeist Oregon Active Member

Try yelling "Here Kitty Kitty", this has worked for me a few times and a big bag of Friskies treats keeps them under control while taking aim...

5. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

I would try a little bait maybe a chicken or ? Cats are smart and need something to temp them out of hiding. Now as for cougers I would just yell "ladies night free drinks" they'll come runnin........

6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

You guys are a great help LOL

Go to http://http://www.rain-shadow.com/

Steve goes to the Game Farm up here and listens to the kitties...and then goes to the woods and kills them

He makes some calls and some recordings for e calls,but has a lot of info on his site.He answers questions on some of the predator hunting forums too.

7. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Make a sound like a house cat in heat.

8. elkhunter

thank you very much did the google thing but did not run across this site ill give him a call
    he makes some beautiful calls

and i fugured id get some of that other stuff but like a good laugh

9. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

I know that cougars are visual hunters and the wind does not matter all that much. Be prepared to sit still for at least an hour.

10. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Don't pass up the yotes,,,:confused:

11. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Go listen to a cougar in heat.Not near as tough sounding as a house cat.Kind of like a bird chirping

12. jayleno

jayleno Western PDX Member

@boxer13: +1

My favorite cougar call: "Dang, my taxes are going to be over 650K again this year."

13. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I want chicken, I want liver.. Meow Mix please deliver..

austin2e.jpg

14. theflyguy

theflyguy Beaverton, Oregon Member

Give your wife/girlfriend some meat tenderizer, tell her it is the latest perfume on the market then take her camping.

15. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

Pick an ill fitting Polo shirt. Pop the collars on it. Bathe in some cologne and wear your baseball cap backward. When you're out in the wild proclaim that you and your frat brutha' are out trolling. Seems to work for all of my denegerate friend :).

16. jer fly

jer fly cottage grove Member

Cougars are not hard to call in. It just takes a little longer and you have to make sure one is near by. Send me a PM and I will be happy to explain my methods, which involve a fox pro game call and a trail cam.

17. solman

solman Cascade Mts. WA. New Member

Nah. that's no fun! put some Kat-nip in your buddies pack and sleeping bag, etc..... then just watch him.

18. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

I've heard about soaking your clothes in blood, bloody steaks, all sort of bating tricks. Distress calls should work great. There aren't as many out there as yotes and they are much more weary than dogs. But they can't resist movement... If you have a rabbit distress call and electric rabbit decoy you might do well. There is a lot of info out there. I've never called one in successfully but I'm guessing I've never got close enough to call one in either.

I feel like the rabbit decoy and distress call would be best though. Putting the electric rabbit decoy in a field or meadow thats fairly open, get yourself a nice 75-100yd shot lined up and start calling. The most honest hunters will admit they bagged their cougar while deer hunting and had a cougar tag to fill. I've stumbled across a few and I've heard so many other stories of people stumbling across them so maybe walking around in the woods would be a good route too. In the snow you could obviously track them pretty easy. I've seen lots of track in Sheridan where I do my walking around