JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey guys,
A year and half ago, my shower has been leaking.

It's a dual handle, one hot and one cold. Pfister
I replaced both side's cartridge assembly, and the included seats, and applied waterproof grease to the rubber components with Danco 9H-1H/C (P/N 15298B).
It lasted about 6 months and started dripping out of the faucet again. I took the valve out and found the seat gasket to be blown out. I replaced the seats and gaskets with Danco brand again (not whole cartridge just the flat washer and the seat with the square in the center). and made sure it was all clean and did not have any of the gasket left floating.

Lasted about 3 months until the faucet started dripping again. Pulled it apart, lone and behold, gasket blown out again. I replaced the gasket and seat again. Turn the water back on and it's still dripping.

I had enough and finally went back this week and replaced both cartridges again and seats with the same part number listed above. Found same problem, gasket blown out. I installed everything the same way lubing all rubber parts. This time I put Teflon tape onto the threads of the seat prior to installing. Put it back together and it's still leaking.

The water leaking is hot but eventually it's luke warm so I suspect it's been leaking on the hot side.

When installing valve I have the adjustment nut off and the valve in the wide open position/threaded into the bottom. I install the valve into the pipe in the wall. Then I turn the stem a half turn so it not wide open anymore and lightly install the nut that holds the stem and gasket into place. When installing, I do it by hand then give it a quarter turn. I play with the knob and tighten as needed for feel.

Anything I'm missing? Is there a replacement part I could use instead of the Danco 9H-1H/C (P/N 15298B), that self incapsulates the seat into it as well? I'm using a Husky T-wrench to install the seat. Maybe I'm not tightening it enough and it's just backing it out and in when I turn the water off and on and I just don't know it? This is why I'd like to see if there's a self contained unit that "deletes" the screw in seat from the equation. Plumbing isn't my expertise, so I'm not sure what's out there and what's compatible. I've already sunk enough time and money into this annoyance.

EDIT: This is the grease I used.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-0-5-oz-Silicone-Faucet-Grease-88693/203193536

Last Edited:
Hey guys,
A year and half ago, my shower has been leaking.

It's a dual handle, one hot and one cold. Pfister
I replaced both side's cartridge assembly, and the included seats, and applied waterproof grease to the rubber components with Danco 9H-1H/C (P/N 15298B).
It lasted about 6 months and started dripping out of the faucet again. I took the valve out and found the seat gasket to be blown out. I replaced the seats and gaskets with Danco brand again (not whole cartridge just the flat washer and the seat with the square in the center). and made sure it was all clean and did not have any of the gasket left floating.

Lasted about 3 months until the faucet started dripping again. Pulled it apart, lone and behold, gasket blown out again. I replaced the gasket and seat again. Turn the water back on and it's still dripping.

I had enough and finally went back this week and replaced both cartridges again and seats with the same part number listed above. Found same problem, gasket blown out. I installed everything the same way lubing all rubber parts. This time I put Teflon tape onto the threads of the seat prior to installing. Put it back together and it's still leaking.

The water leaking is hot but eventually it's luke warm so I suspect it's been leaking on the hot side.

When installing valve I have the adjustment nut off and the valve in the wide open position/threaded into the bottom. I install the valve into the pipe in the wall. Then I turn the stem a half turn so it not wide open anymore and lightly install the nut that holds the stem and gasket into place. When installing, I do it by hand then give it a quarter turn. I play with the knob and tighten as needed for feel.

Anything I'm missing? Is there a replacement part I could use instead of the Danco 9H-1H/C (P/N 15298B), that self incapsulates the seat into it as well? I'm using a Husky T-wrench to install the seat. Maybe I'm not tightening it enough and it's just backing it out and in when I turn the water off and on and I just don't know it? This is why I'd like to see if there's a self contained unit that "deletes" the screw in seat from the equation. Plumbing isn't my expertise, so I'm not sure what's out there and what's compatible. I've already sunk enough time and money into this annoyance.

EDIT: This is the grease I used.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-0-5-oz-Silicone-Faucet-Grease-88693/203193536
Call and or go to George Morlan Plumbing supply.. they're legendary for help.

I had an issue with my kitchen sink. Hot water side, of course, dripping. I replaced the cartridge. No probs? Yes, started leaking again a few weeks later. Piece of crap, generic cartridge. Contacted MOEN. Paid double for their brand cartridge. Been good for 18 months or so.

When all else fails, call a pro.
blob.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show