JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend of mine sent me the following from a Marine friend of his. A number of the things here struck me as odd so I was wondering if any experts could comment.

As a Marine and one who has taken and given countless classes on proper firearms handling ...I have noticed that the way most civilians handle their firearms when standing sentry duty is not proper and downright dangerous ...Not only for them but everyone around them...Here is a list of do's and don'ts of proper firearms handling in no particular order ..

#1 Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.

#2 Never insert a magazine into a weapon until you are ready to fire it at your intended target.

#3 Once a weapon is loaded keep it pointed down range toward your intended target.

#4 When not in use do not have your finger on or near the trigger.

#5 Always have the weapon on safe until you are ready to fire.

#6 When not in use always have the bolt back safety on and a flag safety inserted in the chamber.

#7 Never chamber a round until you are ready to fire.

# 8 The weapon should be shouldered or carried at port arms when not in use.

The photos I have seen show these guys breaking one or more of these proper weapons handling principles...i.e. (magazine in the weapon) (bolt forward) (finger near the trigger) (weapon pointed at someones head or foot) I know it's their right to bear arms ...but it should be done with the utmost safety. and respect for those around them...Class dismissed !

That's definitely typical range safety, but range safety doesn't apply to sentry duty....
Exactly! I certainly cannot comprehend a Marine pullin' sentry duty without a mag in his weapon... o_O

As all the above have noted, this is just silly.

I was stationed with a USMC unit that regularly provided enhanced security for the USN when called upon. We carried Mossberg shotguns and M-9's at condition 3 (weapon loaded, no round in the chamber).

#6 really confuses me. Does "in use" mean while on duty or when back at the armory. Either way while on post we carried with actions closed and while in the armory the weapons were stored with closed actions.

Don't know what the O.P.s Marine is going on about, but Security, Patrol, Standing Security Alert is done Combat Ready, and for a very damn good reason, just ask these guys!

1591316636742.png

Exactly! I certainly cannot comprehend a Marine pullin' sentry duty without a mag in his weapon... o_O
I did guard duty as a Marine at a Navy base from 85-88. Until mid 87 we did not have magazines inserted. (Even at the Special Weapons area).
The part about the bolt being forward baffles me. We got our asses chewed if it was locked back.

I wasn't an instructor but I stood guard as a Marine at a Navy base for about 3 years. 1st rule, clear your weapon at the barrel with the Sgt of the guard he will either have you insert a mag or remove it depending on if you are going on duty.
2nd rule, don't play quick draw with your .45
3rd, don't screw around with your m16
4th, no warning shots. Shoot to kill
That sums it up.

I did guard duty as a Marine at a Navy base from 85-88. Until mid 87 we did not have magazines inserted. (Even at the Special Weapons area).
Ummm, OK... I stand corrected...
But what was the reason they gave you for not having any ammo in your weapon? WTF was the point of that??? o_Oo_O

So, what were you supposed to use if challenged by an aggressor? Harsh language?
Not trying to be funny here or poke the bear. Just genuinely curious to know why our Armed Forces would not arm a guard on duty. Seems counter-intuitive...

Not a Marine...
But I have been on guard / sentry duty many times , while in the Army.
As far as weapon handing and loaded magazines and the like...for us at least...
At times :
Empty rifle no ammo at all....
Empty rifle , empty magazine in the rifle , loaded magazines carried in ammo pouches...
Empty rifle , no ammo...but the Sergeant of the Guard had a loaded rifle or pistol....
Empty rifle , loaded magazine in rifle...empty chamber...
Rifle loaded as in a loaded magazine , round chambered...rifle on "safe"...
Time and place played a large role here.

As for the OP , as noted by many , it sounds a bit like some sort of "firing range" instructions...
And as mentioned....just 'cause one was or is military , or "qualified" , does not make one an expert.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads