JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Even before Orlando we already had the Governor and the Oregon AG having secret meetings with gun control groups, so we know it's coming. I'll do my part to prevent it, but the odds are that the Democrats will hold their near super majority in Oregon, and Bloody Kate will be elected Governor.

Oregon Gov, AG Hold SECRET MEETINGS With Gun Grabbers (https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/oregon-gov-ag-hold-secret-meetings-with-gun-grabbers.217799/)

I have some portions of Denis C. Theriault's pre Orlando article below that will give us an idea of what's coming:

..."House Majority Leader Jennifer Williamson, D-Portland, wants to revive a measure that would limit default gun sales when background checks take longer than expected, after the bill earned tepid support and died in the Senate last month.""

..."Advisers for Gov. Kate Brown and Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum huddled with advocates in separate meetings Thursday to hear about executive actions they might take without legislative approval. Brown, up for election this year, had already vowed to "explore" that possibility last month."

..."And Senate Majority Leader Ginny Burdick, D-Portland, at a forum hosted by the Oregon Alliance for Gun Safety, reiterated her support Wednesday for enacting gun-violence restraining orders. That idea, already in place in California, would create a court-sanctioned mechanism for removing guns from people believed to be at risk of harming themselves or others."

..."In the session's first week, lawmakers killed a bill by Sen. Floyd Prozanski, D-Eugene, that would have banned the sale of a gun for 30 days if someone warns authorities the would-be buyer might be in a mental health crisis."

..."And Williamson, using her clout as one of the House's top two Democrats, fought hard but failed to pass her bill on default gun sales.

House Bill 4147 was dubbed the "Charleston loophole" bill, named for a mass shooting at a Charleston, S.C., church that killed nine. The suspected gunman was allowed to purchase his weapon even though his background check slipped past the three-day window. Clerical errors kept an inexperienced investigator from learning, within the waiting period, that the suspected gunman had disqualifying drug offenses."

..."Williamson brought in the daughter of a Charleston victim. She also agreed to amendments that extended Oregon's current waiting period for gun sales from three days to 10, after initially asking to make buyers wait as long as it took for their checks to come back."​

What the heck else is out there - does anybody have insight into their 2017 wish list? I'm anticipating some sort of "assault weapon" ban, magazine limitations, etc.

It's coming, folks, we need to get our eyes open and be ready.

They're going to keep their pie-holes shut until after the election because they know that most of Oregon doesn't want more gun control.

After they get reelected they'll start spouting their BS.

Be prepared for a complete ban on the private ownership of firearms in the state of Oregon and then be prepared to attempt to prevent whatever does come down the sewer line from the governor on down through the communist democlap party. I really believe that the November election will destroy this country through SCOUS appointments and executive action at the state and national level. The country asked for this and now they are getting it. We'll see how the sheep react when it hits home for them. After all, people sat quietly by in 1939 Europe until it affected them and by then it was too late. When "they" run out of gun owners then they go after the next target. "You live in too large of a home, you now must house some of the illegal immigrants." Wait for it.

The majority party in the legislature gets to set that agenda!!!
I'll likely get reprimanded for this but . . . A vote for a "D" is tacit approval of their anti-2nd Amendment agenda.

Sheldon

The way Portland likes to tax everything they can think of, it would not surprise me if they try to pull a Seattle and tax firearms and ammo. Ginny Burdick pushes an AR and mag ban every legislative session. I doubt that she will stop now.

All I can say is somehow, those in Oregon who support the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, need to get organized, vocal and present in Salem. We need to make the news every single day the Oregon Legislature talks about more gun control. And every single time they plan a vote.

Perhaps orchestrated protests outside their homes... Let's bring in victims of gang violence, or terrorism, and those accosted by previously convicted felons...

We need a grass roots effort and take a page from the Liberals, we need to disrupt things including traffic flow in Salem...

Otherwise, we may as well succeed to Northern California...

All I can say is somehow, those in Oregon who support the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, need to get organized, vocal and present in Salem. We need to make the news every single day the Oregon Legislature talks about more gun control. And every single time they plan a vote.

Perhaps orchestrated protests outside their homes... Let's bring in victims of gang violence, or terrorism, and those accosted by previously convicted felons...

We need a grass roots effort and take a page from the Liberals, we need to disrupt things including traffic flow in Salem...

Why not introduce legislation on your own? You don't need to wait for the legislature to do it, you can introduce initiatives as a private citizen. Go grass roots, get the support of other pro 2A people. The power still resides largely in the people. You just need enough support (which I'm sure you'd have).

A few examples can be found here.
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160418/tennessee-pro-gun-legislation-becomes-law

"Clicktivism" and "Slacktivism" will only get us so far.

Check out conventionofstates.com

Also levintv is an awesome program to watch on your tablet or phone, no commercials. He also talks about how,why and what was talked about in the formation of the Constitution and BOR. Levin is a great constitutionalist and clears up a lot of misinformation.

Great thought, but who do we rally around? Quite honestly, though I support them, OFF isn't doing much of anything to be pro-active in this respect. If they are, I'm not seeing it. Unfortunately OFF simply does not wield the kind of influence over legislators that we need to make them think twice about attacking our rights. We need someone with big time resources, big time influence, and the ability to reach every single part of this state and to bring every single one of them together to vote in unison for gun rights. I don't know of anyone in this state at this time that can pull that off.

So, unfortunately, it leaves it to the rest of us to try and influence everyone we can to vote pro-gun this November. I speak to every single person I can about gun rights and, if necessary, going against your own party to make a point about protecting those rights. I think I may have convinced a few, but not many. Simple fact is, there are more registered "D"'s in this state than there are "R"'s, so if we hope to have ANY chance to stop the flow of anti-gun hatred, we HAVE to find a way to convince Democrats, Libertarians, Independents and Non-Affiliates who give a damn about their gun rights to actually vote PRO-GUN. We also need to find a way to get ALL Republicans to actually SHOW UP AND VOTE and stop being whiny babies that 'their' candidates aren't on the ballot or that they think "it won't do any good". Turnout in 2014 by Republicans in this state was low, and that's part of the reason we ended up with SB941 - some key blocking votes/seats were lost, giving both the House and Senate the majority, which is pretty much impossible to stop. Too many voters are 'giving up' out of a belief that they can't stop this. That's simply not true - all we need to do is prevent a majority in the House and Senate and we can at least block any new legislation coming through. That is very much doable, even in this election year, but only if every pro-gun voter votes pro-gun.

Be prepared for a complete ban on the private ownership of firearms in the state of Oregon

That can't happen for a couple of reasons: First, the 2nd amendment to the Constitution would prevent them from putting an outright ban in place. Second, the Oregon Constitution also guarantees the right to keep and bear arms. Those two alone keep them from doing such a thing. That's not to say they won't push ammo taxes, ammo BGC's, registration, mag limits, etc. - they most certainly will go for that crap.

I think the state solution happens at two levels: political and populace.

The political level only responds to power, plain and simple. Politicians use gun control as a way to get votes from uninformed masses while at the same time get funding through a network that gets funded by Bloomberg, Soros, etc. While I'd prefer that they would respond to reason and simply do the right thing, Politicians will only respond to political strength where gun control is concerned.

The NRA can't really help us here as they focus, and have been very successful, at the national level. In fact, they have been so successful that Bloomberg, et al, have adapted their tactics to focus on individual states chock full of easily bought corrupt politicians. IMO, the NRA doesn't have the horsepower to fight all fronts at the same time. While the NRA can't help us at out level, we can learn from their tactics.

GOA also focuses at the national level, and with fewer resources than the NRA. We need to continue to support both them and the NRA while we fight at the state level, since it far easier to undo damage here than nationally.

OFF is a one man show, and while Kevin is very dedicated, presents the case well, and seems to pop up to defend the Second Amendment on a seemingly daily basis, he can't do it all for us. We also need to attend the same county and state meetings and back up his message. Faces, not emails, matter. OFF may be the nucleus for something more NRA/GOA like within Oregon, but WE need to get involved with our time and dollars.

The populace are mostly uninformed and have been somehow been led to the conclusion than an inanimate object is responsible for crime and threatens their safety. We somehow need to counter this so that people understand that firearms are a tool for their protection and make them safer, especially where government and liberal pro criminal politics have failed us.

Honestly, I don't know the solutions, but think we may be able to learn from other states that have fought outside influence to retain their freedoms.

Last Edited:
@3MTA3 makes a great point, it's going to take us, each of us, to be committed to be there, showing solidarity behind Kevin. We need to overwhelm them with our numbers, it's gotta be grass roots folks.

The main issue with showing up and giving them actual face time, the fact Prozanski et.al. Always seem to schedule these hearings at the last minute. That makes it more difficult for those of us working schleps to make it. Guess I'm going to be sick a lot this winter and spring...

We need to support physically and financially the efforts at the state level. Without our sacrifice, we will lose more of our rights... No doubt about it... Time for action, even with the upcoming election, we need to be supporting pro-gun and pro-Constitution candidates...

We care enough to complain, then we need to care enough to be involved...

The perception is that social issues are more important than gun rights. Gun rights aren't seen as a civil liberty or an assault on all civil liberties. For the lions share of metro voters, guns are irrelevant to modern life. As long as 'R's' continue to stand in the way of social issues you will never convince the 'D's' to stop voting party lines.

Frankly I think they are both wrong and a vote for either is a vote for the status quo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top