JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What would be ideal for me....

affordable; I don't mean "only slightly less expensive than brand new trucks/Jeeps", I mean "Scion/Saturn/Suzuki/Kia level of affordable" ;)

2wd-4wd capacity with aftermarket off road parts availability

manual transmission

good fuel economy (25-30mpg+, depending on options, regardless of engine type)

body on frame ideally

enough space for me to lay out in the back with seats that folds totally flat (or only 2 front seats)

similar or slightly smaller footprint to a Jeep Wrangler JK 4 door, in other words compact

Not totally look like it was built by a RV company after the vehicle left the factory. (The reason for the ambulance shape to be honest.... but I'd be OK if it was similar to the JK and the other conversions)

EDIT: A cabover SUV with a 7-8 ft long camper box body like the Pinzgauer series would be awesome, if not so bloody expensive like these :eek:

Or an affordable, modern, version of this Jeep FC M678 would be awesome... (for affordable, probably have to be imported from Korea or Japan, if they would make them...):rolleyes:

1ce4536s-480.jpg

Running a camper amd it's contents over a 4cyl would probably blow that engine up.

I'd go for a van and convert it or a pick wi a canopy and make it a camper.
Not if the total weight stays within the load limit; which is why I was thinking real minimalist setup and as light weight as possible for the construction. Honestly? I don't see how the following is gonna "blow the engine up"; especially if the published load limits says 1,000lbs
1) cutting off more than half the steel body
2) building a small 5x7x? Box structure with aluminum post framing, sheet steel floor, either sheet steel or riveted sheet aluminum skin, and 3x lightweight plexiglass windows

3) leaving the 40 lb backseat out of it entirely; if no further structure beyond a foldable bed platform.
I don't see how the above structure is going to be half a ton on its own .... especially if the structure is almost identical to a 5x8 enclosed utility trailer minus the C section steel frame. U-haul's 5x8 empty enclosed trailer is 900 pounds and that is with a steel chassis frame and wheels. The most I can think is the structure would be maybe 500lbs, but the removing weight of the original Kia Sportage body halved or thirded, depending on if the floor structure stays or not.. means it should still be pretty close to original Kia Sportage empty weights, maybe within 100-200 lbs either way? I mean its not like I'm gonna put in a kitchen, fridge, running water, bathroom in a 5x7 space :rolleyes:

@RVTECH ; can you confirm the weight estimates of such a structure before putting it on a chassis or trailer frame?

and there's a reason I asked if there's any current market body on frame subcompact SUVs in the US, of a similar size class to the Jeep Patriot/Liberty... I'm not convinced that unibody platforms would be safe to cut into for a RV, although I'm aware of the VW Beetle camper conversions. (technically their floorpans are the chassis)

There was that Toyota mini truck RV with the enormous RV body, and it used a 4cyl gas motor..... Lord knows how bad it performed :rolleyes:

See, I just can't buy the idea that a pickup, a bigger SUV or a van is the only way to get what I want along with a significant hit to gas mileage (Except for the Ford Transit Connect which seems to be doing the same mileage empty as my Sportage).... Not when I know there's potentially a bunch of dirt cheap wrecked compact body on frame SUVs to cannibalize and build up :rolleyes: (1st gen Sportage, Suzukis, Geos, Mitsubishi, Mazda something, Ford Escape maybe?)

Again, I really liked that CJ8 ambulance body, and similarly the Toyota Land Cruiser designs..

Maybe off-topic, but the old Chevy Astro vans were built off of the S10 truck platform: body on frame and rwd (or awd). I know this because when my wife wanted a mini van, it was the only one I would even consider. Some of those got converted into campers back in the day.
I'm not sure if Chevy followed that protocol into the 2000s or not... we never did buy a minivan... I successfully dodged that bullet for over 20 yrs :s0139:

Used an Astro for years for hunting- had a stove, water jug, air mattress etc. was also AWD.

download-5.jpg
Add a real rear axle w a locker and call it GOOD!

Seriously, tho... if you want 4wd and small, a 4Runner or similar SUV is probably your ticket. I've always liked the older, boxy Isuzu Troopers lls... they remind me of the old no-frills Land Rovers (Defender Series) but a small fraction of the initial buy-in. They can be found w the excellent Isuzu diesel engine/5sp and if you get the 4 door and remove the back seat you have a pretty good-sized box to work with. Body on (fully boxed, iirc) frame, beefy solid axles, very solid platform.

The downside is, of course, they don't make/import them anymore so there may be some rehab expenses before you ever get to the customization part. They have minimal electronic gizmo-ism to fuss with, but things like ignition, fuel injection, and HVAC might need service or replacement to be 100% reliable out in the bush. It doesn't meet your "current" parameter, but very cool...
images-18.jpg images-17.jpg

Last Edited:
Reality being what it is while the market is definitely leaning toward the 'smaller' and about the smallest RVs that have any practical marketability are standard van based units and my best example of this would be the Winnebago Era or the 4WD Revel.
There comes a point where only so much comfort, style and features can be crammed in into something marketable yet still practical and the 'van' class designs such as this are it.
There is no doubt a market (albeit narrow) for something as you describe but the design would simply be too small to accommodate the basics that are wanted by the buyers of something in this class and that is normally a small bathroom, stove, refer, bed and very importantly - storage - which i see would be sorely lacking in one of the small designs. The typical 'van' is about the smallest vehicle to create this.
There might be other designs that could be satisfactory for a similarly configured RV (such as in some of the pics you have posted) but some of these are simply too 'Euro', or 'utilitarian' (or downright archaic) in appearance to be of interest to the demographic that will be in the market for something in this class.

Last Edited:
So basically.... What I am looking for, does not currently exist at all outside Jeep JK conversions and Honda Element conversions? :rolleyes:

No wonder companies can charge a king's ransom for these two models' conversions. I mean really, for what they're asking, one may as well as put down payment for something bigger.

It sucks, because I have this idea, and I'm sure that there's a market for it, but no one seems to take it seriously, and no one seems to want to take the "risk" in favor of something "safe"..... Whatever happened to American ideal of "if you build it, the buyers will come"??

I mean, clearly there IS a market, as evidenced by the Jeep JK campers and the Honda Element pop up roof tent thing... Surely there has to be someone who wants to compete with these conversions.....

Like I said before, I am not thinking of putting a sink, bathroom, fridge, stove units into a space no bigger than 5x7 or 5x8 if that, but more akin to what you see being used for teardrop trailers, only without it having to be a trailer.

Been mulling some ideas, of course, I don't have the space, nor the shop equipment to build this..but I can't help but think that there has to be a market for a compact SUV based RV campers...in the vein of the old VW Microbus campers or the Toyota 4x4 Previa campers..... and taking the idea from Land Rover Defender 110 Ambulance bodied models, along with the similar Mercedes Benz G-wagen box van conversions.........

Looking at the 2 door Kia Sportage and the 4 door I have, and since both are body-on-frame models, and can be had with 4x4 drivetrains.. I thought; why not combine the features of a small teardrop RV trailer, with the 4x4 compact SUV systems.......

I know for sure, my 4 door has roughly 5 feet of length from the front seat backs to the hatch opening, and roughly 4 feet space between the wheel wells... But the roof is not even 7 feet long, due to the angles involved, so a pop-up tent roof similar to Ursa Minor's Honda Element top or JK-wrangler is right out of the window.

Surely RV companies should be able to market a line of compact camper/rvs with 4x4 and body-on-frame construction, but the question is...are there any left other than the Jeep JK line?

Land Rover ambulance
View attachment 509841

Jeep JK camper conversions
View attachment 509842

View attachment 509843

Ursa Minor conversions, both JK and Honda Element
View attachment 509844

View attachment 509845

And the concept body shape that I would like to see... maybe a little longer, and not as an ambulance?
View attachment 509846

I have some sketches of what I'd like to see done, doesn't need to be a Kia sportage based vehicle :rolleyes: but it's what I have and what I was thinking....

I know the simplest would be to remove the rear seats, build a bed platform, and jerry rig a pop up roof tent, although I don't think that's easily feasible due to the short roof and the angles involved... well, not as easy as just chop the back off a 2 door Sportage body and then weld up supports, then build a boxy rear body with aluminum or steel channel and skin it in either sheet steel, or laminated wood/fiberglass :rolleyes: a boxy body would allow one to maximize space for stuff and make things so much easier to measure/cut/engineer around. This could be done with similar vehicles, say the Geo/Chevy Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick/Vitara, or any small 4x4 body on frame vehicles that had both 2 and 4 door lengths.... Not sure a Colorado truck is small enough for this.

Trend seems to be converting Transit Connects into campers, but I doubt they have any real off-road capability. Also noted that most of the compact "SUV"s are now crossovers based on unibody car/van platforms.

Personally I'd rather just pull a trailer.

That's just me though.

Whatever happened to American ideal of "if you build it, the buyers will come"??
Nothing at all - but if YOU are the one with the idea, believe it has merit and a market build a prototype, get it out in the woods where it can be seen, promote it and see what happens.
Or (once built) put together a video presentation with specs, capacities reasons Why YOU think it will succeed and send it to the major manufacturers of like RVs and get their opinion(s).

While you really like the idea, I don't think there's going to be much demand. People like small, cute things in theory but in practice it gets old quick. Plus, there really isn't anything currently on the market to base it on. Even past models that check all your boxes are pretty scarce.
A 4x4 Westy is ridiculously over priced -- plus, no frame and crappy MPG. Actually a converted AWD Astro would be the same -- not technically a full frame and crappy MPG. Same would hold true for the old AWD Aerostar and Town and Country. The Element (still no frame) is really small inside but a little better MPG.
You might find an older 4cyl 4runner and set it up but the newest example would be over 20 years old.
On top of that, "conversions" and RVs kind of lose usefulness as daily transportation. Although, the idea of a 4x4 conversion and build-out on late E250 has me intrigued.

I'm really not trying to harsh your enthusiasm because I daydream stuff like this all the time myself.

How about this idea...What if you were to design and market a pop-top tent that mounted solidly (not removable) to top of a Subaru Outback. Something akin to the love child of a VW camper and a Thule Rocketbox. 6-8" tall then not in use but has room for 2 when opened up. Access from outside by ladder-- no hole in the roof. On Saturday you throw your gear in the back and pop the top when you get to camp. Car would remain completely useful as a soccer wagon from Monday thru Friday. That kit might sell.View attachment 510314

Market for what you describe is too small to be worth a builder doing more than custom one off stuff. Convenience, capability, and comfort all push people into bigger platforms, or combination vehicles. A conversion SUV is no longer useful as a daily driver for most. Who wants to drive a camper to get groceries, or take the kids to school? Trailers are getting lighter, yet stronger. Compact trucks with good highway and off highway performance and economy with a trailer are more useful for most. For off roaders, the roof top tents seem to be popular, and removeable if desired.

And as you point out, a professionally fabricated compact RV costs a kings ransom, and most people lack the skills or tools or space required to DIY a vehicle.

A van really is the best option for a compact rv at this point. Hop on youtube and search van life, or living in a van, or boondocking - you'll see some slick conversions that don't even draw attention.

Market for what you describe is too small to be worth a builder doing more than custom one off stuff. Convenience, capability, and comfort all push people into bigger platforms, or combination vehicles. A conversion SUV is no longer useful as a daily driver for most. Who wants to drive a camper to get groceries, or take the kids to school?
I would. for kids? that's what a Volvo or a van is for ;)
Trailers are getting lighter, yet stronger.
should in theory be able to apply to a conversion/camp 4x4 rig ;) (Most people tend to have a 4x4 not as daily driver, but as a camp/off road rig toy or so it seems.
Compact trucks with good highway and off highway performance and economy with a trailer are more useful for most. For off roaders, the roof top tents seem to be popular, and removeable if desired.
Most of the roof top tents seem to assume 300-400 pound maximum weight...and factor in the roof bar strength, that's a pretty penny on its own already :confused: DIY options are there, but I dont think I have the right sewing machine to do the waterproof vinyl cover. Cordura/canvas tent, sure, its similar weight fabric...but for far heavier duty, thicker almost upholstery type covers to keep the canvas from being affected by highway speeds? I don't know.

And as you point out, a professionally fabricated compact RV costs a kings ransom, and most people lack the skills or tools or space required to DIY a vehicle.
Yeah.... thats a good point. Another reason to open imports of certain vehicles for highway usage :D

A van really is the best option for a compact rv at this point. Hop on youtube and search van life, or living in a van, or boondocking - you'll see some slick conversions that don't even draw attention.
I've been looking, believe me, I've been looking at the Transit Connect and similar vans, getting ideas of stealth campers from them and liking them..someone in Italy was able to do a functional stealth camper with the Fiat Qubo microvan vehicle... It had a powered cooler, single burner white gas stove, pull out drawer for gear stowage, 5 liter water bottle, a sink, and a shower wand :eek: Some of its concepts are what I would utilize in this Sportage camper conversion/box-vehicle idea [youtube]

Actually....since I only need maybe 2 feet more space in the cargo area with backseat removed.... a fiberglass or similar lightweight system with the removal of the rear hatch and spare tire carrier (move spare tire to say, roof top basket? or to the side of the camper?) and shaped so that there's a sleep platform, and a roof gear storage space? It would need to be somehow sealed against the elements, so maybe tied into the hitch or bumper supports, and the tow D rings on the chassis?

Last Edited:
Artist in resident somewhere, Jay Nelson seems to be doing similar ideas....with wood and unconventional designs.
A Suzuki Jimney camper :eek: specs says 6 ft sleep platform over the roof.
IMG_0866.jpg

a Subaru Brat camper; wood and canvas pop up tent with a wood stove.... sort of reminds me of a sailboat cabin
jay-nelson-brat-v4.jpg

Kind of makes my concept sketches look..um...conventional :rolleyes:

Any type of 4x4 camper is a pretty rare commodity. And I've always wondered why that is. My ideal would be something like this Unimog...

kGNUb1m.jpg

But rigs like this are usually full custom jobs. There's certainly nobody mass building/marketing these things.

Lately I've also seen a number of people taking Mercedes Sprinter type vans and having 4WD added to them and then they build the back out as a camper. But having 4WD added to it is a pretty hefty sum.

To this end, it really surprises me that there is no 4WD option coming from the factory on Sprinter vans. Or perhaps there is and we just don'g get them here in the US yet. But I would think there would be a decent market for them.

So for the most part I think you're either stuck with a regular truck with a camper shell on the back or you gotta build it yourself and/or have a custom job done.

I've been seeing a particular olive drab Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer vehicle around Central Oregon during Gambler 500 for the last few years.... I know there are a few of them in Oregon, have seen a Rescue Orange-ish red version locally once a while, and the aforementioned olive drab beast... I also know that they are bloody expensive to begin with :confused:
dsc_0003.jpg

Honestly I think such a 4wd vehicle as above, maybe modernized/redesigned somewhat ...would be an excellent camper/off road rig..bonus if it stays within the Jeep Wrangler 4 door length/size but is a "mid-engined" cab-over (engine behind front axle)... Not sure that there's a mass market for it, seems American customers prefer their cab-overs to be either tiny (garden/farm tractors like the Kei trucks) or huge (Isuzu) and for dirty work or moving.

There was a huge positive reaction for the Jeep Forward Control cab-over concept built on the newer Wrangler chassis and with portal axles.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top