JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a little assistance if any of you are in that field. Don't mind compensating for a resolved problem as well.

I have a GE fridge, model GFE27GSDASS.

Issue:
Water dispenser & ice quit working
Pull out freezer lights do not work.
  • I have put in the bypass filter to ensure the filter was not plugged.
  • The lines are not frozen.
  • I have tested the freezer door switch, it operates properly.
The door chime to tell you that you have left the door open does not work. This does not work for the freezer or either of the fridge doors.

What does work:
  • Freezer operates as normal
  • Fridge operates as normal
  • Fridge lights work when door is opened
What I have done:
I have removed and checked all connections behind the door, behind the control panel, at the top of the door(s), visually inspected the main board on the back of the fridge, checked the connections at the valves in the door... as stated, all door switches operate properly but the freezer switch does not actuate the lights when drawer is opened.

I have also scoured the internet(many hours) for another person with an issue like mine. None have presented themselves with some exceptions to Sabbath mode. I could go out on a whim and buy a replacement main board but at $150+ of gun money I'd rather make sure it's the right part that's out. I'm unsure if it's the main board or if it would be the secondary board that's in the door behind the display.

Compressor pump makes a funny noise and the fridge is only 5 years old so that doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me with these products.

-Dyjital

Dispatcher.jpeg

Truth be told, I'm too cheap to buy bottled water and I'm tired of drinking city water unfiltered.. I also don't like using plastic bottles even if I recycle them... so here I am begging because I'm not drinking enough water....

Last Edited:
That one looks like it's made by LG. I had a Kemore made by LG that had a compressor failure after 4 years.
If you pull the panel off the back where the power cord goes in there is probably a big circuit board. There is likely a reset button and another button that will let you generate fault/trouble codes, which will display on the front of the fridge. Do some web searching for the procedure for your model. If it's made by LG (for GE), the codes are pretty much the same. However, if your compressor is knocking, it's not worth repairing.

That one looks like it's made by LG. I had a Kemore made by LG that had a compressor failure after 4 years.
If you pull the panel off the back where the power cord goes in there is probably a big circuit board. There is likely a reset button and another button that will let you generate fault/trouble codes, which will display on the front of the fridge. Do some web searching for the procedure for your model. If it's made by LG (for GE), the codes are pretty much the same. However, if your compressor is knocking, it's not worth repairing.
Thanks,
I'll take another look at the main board again to see if there is a code or jumper etc and see what I can find.

I wouldn't say the compressor is knocking... but sometimes it makes a weird noise that's kind of high pitch and quiet but we have a quiet house so I can hear everything that happens.

Thanks, i'll pull it out and take a gander!

===================

Update:
There is nothing visible for a code button etc, the front of the board does not show any signs of a blown resistor or capacitor etc. there is a small built in glass fuse at the bottom of the board that's still intact.

I did a power cycle for a bit while I was looking really close like I was playing doctor with it.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

Last Edited:
I like my brita pitcher for filtered water, they are going on sale at costco soon. As for your fridge, best of luck, I used to repair kilns for a living, not the same as fridges, but with what you are describing I would lean towards a board issue as others have stated, could start testing electrical continuity where you can.

You've probably read all the info in the manual, but in case you haven't, read pages 35 and 36 on troubleshooting - try all of that stuff.
GE GFE27GSDSS Owner's Manual (Page 35 of 42)

Page 34 describes normal noises.

Do you have a wiring diagram? They hide them inside the refrigerator. I saw the technician pull ours (GE side by side, no pullout) out of a secret compartment near the refrigerator light bulb - I have never been able to find that compartment again! :)

Here are some hints on where to look:
Refrigerator Wiring Diagram Location

Here's how to get a wiring diagram:
How to Obtain a Wiring Diagram or Schematic

On our side by side, the height of the 2 doors is critical - every time you open the fridge the door lowers by a hair. They need to be the same height (even) at the top, so every couple of weeks or so I use an 8 mm wrench to turn an adjustment bolt at the bottom of the fridge door - only takes a minute. If they are uneven, the compressor runs too much.

First thing I did was to disconnect the water line at the wall and close the valve - I've heard they can leak and cause damage. :)

I think this is your unit:

Sad state of affairs what our appliances have turned into. My 15-16 YO Kitchen Aide washer same basic design back to the '70s I think. had a pump go out. 15-20 mins including You Tube and the faulty part was out and being shown to the appliance guy near by. New pump ($65.00) back in and running 24 hours later.

Good luck with that fridge. I have three of them. Simple 2 YO basic, no computer boards, in the kitchen, and two running in the garage that are out of the late '50s/early 60s.

I like my brita pitcher for filtered water, they are going on sale at costco soon. As for your fridge, best of luck, I used to repair kilns for a living, not the same as fridges, but with what you are describing I would lean towards a board issue as others have stated, could start testing electrical continuity where you can.

This.

Very easy work around, once you get into the habit of keeping them filled. We do 2 pitchers, so always have enough for coffee and cups of water/fill a tumbler etc. Got the filters on special, multi pack, wherever has the best price. Either Amazon or brick and mortar stores. Honestly forget how much, because bought "a bunch" a few years back.

Change them out every 4 months or so & throw the pitchers in the dishwasher at that time. Have had the same 2 pitchers almost 10 years. Not sure on if the newer ones are as sturdy etc.

Never even bothered hooking up the water/ice for the "new to us" fridge at the new house. So no help there, sorry.

-Glad someone else pointed out recent power loss, although you didn't have one. May be helpful for others. Our fridge (Samsung stainless) went a little "whacky" with power loss. Didn't think it would come back last time. Fridge wouldn't cool, fan iced up. Had to manually defrost it...bought a 900W UPS for it on special since then. Is fine now.

@Camelfilter & @Carbon
I wish I could do a pitcher but our boys wouldn't fill it up and in the summertime the rate I go through water it would be needing to be filtered directly into my bottle... constantly.

Still searching for wiring diagram.

@cigars
I'm lucky, our wiring connections are at the top of the door, no capillary action strong enough to corrode those connections. (I checked those last night).

For mass quantities of fine H2O you could always get a Big Berkey. They have lots of size options. It will outlast any refrigerator and will taste better as well.

For mass quantities of fine H2O you could always get a Big Berkey. They have lots of size options. It will outlast any refrigerator and will taste better as well.

Forgot about them. Good tip!

I think there was an out of home dealer of them over in West Salem, but that was a few years back when we had been looking.

Can also make one. Won't look as "nice" but functions just the same with the candle filters.

Forgot about them. Good tip!

I think there was an out of home dealer of them over in West Salem, but that was a few years back when we had been looking.

Can also make one. Won't look as "nice" but functions just the same with the candle filters.
They are easy to make. You can buy the Berkey (or aftermarket) filters on ebay. 5 gallon buckets an spigot from any hardware store will do. Definitely save a lot of $$ that way.

Problem solved.

This was cheaper now and in the long run than trying to fix the fridge.

We never really used the ice maker.

Still going to find out the problem and fix it but I'm the meantime....

CA3DEC87-8E12-4790-9356-BAECD6507DC4.jpeg 2BEC5D8F-B3DC-45D3-9C69-99BCAE57266A.jpeg

And Chewie has to inspect my work.
41D9F7DA-C7F1-48DE-B997-1151D23A186C.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR