JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought 500, new, 38spl cases with backwards installed primers.

I have processed 10 cases to get the feel of the decapping process.

When I remove them there is a small dimple on the cup face from the decapping rod (duh). Some primers are softer than others, so some dimples are bigger/deeper than others.

I think I'm gonna load up 50 rounds using these primers and see if they work.

Anyone have experience removing and/or reusing a large quantity of backwards primers? Especially with cup faces dimpled from the decapping process.

I occasionally end up with a primer seated backwards when loading on my progressive presses. I break down the loaded round, carefully decap the primer, and re-use it. Haven't noticed any issues firing the rounds using such "recycled" primers. However, doing 500 of them is a bit more of a job.

I have an occasional upside down primer. I have been able to remove them without a dimple and they worked fine in the next case.
Your existing upside down primers must be a very tight fit if each one requires enough pressure to be dimpled by the removal process or that particular brand of primer is very soft. Or you may be using a more pointed decapping rod than I am used to.
Sounds like you are good to go to reuse those primers in your next application...

They won't go off. There is nothing to keep the anvil in place when the primer is backwards. Happens every so often on my Dillons, but the primers always function once they get pushed out and turned around. I've never had one pop, but "eyes and ears" is still excellent advice against the one in a million anomaly.

I just bought 500, new, 38spl cases with backwards installed primers.

I have processed 10 cases to get the feel of the decapping process.

When I remove them there is a small dimple on the cup face from the decapping rod (duh). Some primers are softer than others, so some dimples are bigger/deeper than others.

I think I'm gonna load up 50 rounds using these primers and see if they work.

Anyone have experience removing and/or reusing a large quantity of backwards primers? Especially with cup faces dimpled from the decapping process.
"see if they work" - you can literally take a primer, seat it in an empty case, put it in the chamber and shoot it and determine if it will work, no need to load them completely to test that.

They will all likely work without issue.

UPDATE

SALVAGE:
Ran 100 shells through my Lee APP press with Universal Decapping Die. Nice and slow and easy. Not all primers were salvagable - which was no surprise. Some primer brands have softer cups, so the cap punch left a pretty deep dimple in the primer (more on that later). Some cups were harder and looked almost brand new when removed from the shell. However, different head stamps had a tighter primer fit (especially Ammo Inc.), and when deprimed, the primer was destroyed - anvil pushed partially or completely out. Probably 50% recovery rate. (That's okay, I wasn't banking on the primers being salvagable when I bought the brass).

TEST FIRE:
I primed 18, 38 special cases with salvaged primers. No loads, just empty cases. Fired in my RIA M200 38 special (cheapest gun I own and one of my top five shooters - go figure). Cups with significant dimple from the decapping rod fired. But the cup was punctured which turned into a pain-in-the-a$$ to get the cylinder to turn enough so I could open the crane and remove that case. Cups with hardly any dimple, or no dimple, fired and cycled fine.

Not sure I'm going to use the primers. All my reloads are just range plinkers, so it's not that critical if I get rounds that don't go boom.

The brass is nice though. New brass, so, many reloads in their future.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.

Cheers

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews