JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently NIB, time for cleaning; the bolt-stop access lever in the pistol handle doesn't cooperate in the 'pull out & down' phase allowing removal of the bolt.

Haven't made it to the "swing out & pull down" part. Per schematic I can pull out Part 33 but Part 32 won't swing out to allow the bolt removal phase. Tapping/lightly lubing thru the cracks hasn't helped. Any tips? ruger_mark_2.gif it's the 'bolt stop keeper'-'magazine'

Gotta hold yer mouth just right whilst doing the above jiggle-wiggle-giggle trigger squeeze jig.

that must've been the deal.....I did all the right stuff, put a small drip of Kroil in the crack & went to lunch......came back, jiggle-wiggle-giggle and pull on the part 33 with a vice grip and (voila)....all is well....

amazed with the gooey/crusty debris.....and the action of the little short Part 33 lever within it's position remains oddly tight but continues to loosen as I j-w-g-t-squeeze & use Words of Power....

complete disassembly & cleaning, all them parts are pretty slick now.

Thought it was just a year since NIB but maybe 2....or ever 3....*kaff*kaff*....
so it was time fer cleaning.

All goes back nicely, I'm learning how to keep the hammer down to help bolt removal.....the BIG job now is to reassemble properly. Still haven't caught everything just right, but I can take it down easy down.

The timing of pointing muzzle up & grabbing the hook on the hangy down part is next. The videos all make it look so slick....:eek:

Once you get it down its like riding a bike. You will have it nailed.

Get yourself a Gunsmither take down tool for the Mk2. While not necessary it's a real help. I'll get a link up later if you can't find it. It a great little tool.

Wow, i forgot what a pita that can be.
Turns out i was doing it wrong. The flippy hang down thing will seat in this part of the takedown dealy: 1520202681979-61635477.jpg
Get the majority of the pin/lever gig installed before your point at the sky salute. You can actually see the parts as you close it up to be sure you've obtained proper alignment. If the hangy swingy down thing is too far to one side or the other it will not work.
1520202880281-1407853878.jpg
Good luck and have fun! If my redneck tutorial/terminology made for piss poor communication, i apologize.

thanks for the tips & cheers....
Once you get it down its like riding a bike.
yes, once you learn how to fall off a bike you'll always know...*kaff*kaff*

actually, a close inspection of a few more videos & the hooting and catcalls FINALLY the magic happened....

somehow I wasn't capturing the hammer strut right & managing to lock up the bolt as well.

So whatever you call them hangy down parts, I got it done.

I've worked on these before, it's just so long I managed to misunderestimate a couple little details....

like that time my Roooger revolver was trying to fight me until a flashlight in the right place revealed what I was overlooking....

so next I got a RST4 from 1953 to tear down for cleaning....

I do have one of them new red plastic fantastic assembly tools but it really wasn't much help.
Amazing how slick the action now is, and how nice the trigger has become....didn't do nawthing but clean 'em.....

actually that was key....the entire mechanism needed a tug & with a little padding & delicate touch, slid right out......after cleaning frame & internals, it would respond to mere banana-finger tools tugging on it.

No side grinders or adjustable ball peen swing wrenches were used in this project.

The MKII I got used to soon after getting one. That I can still do even if it's been a long while. The MKIII, now that's a different story. That damn Mag safety made it so I can't ever seem to do it without the instructions. One time while back I did something wrong and turned it into a paper weight. Would not function or come apart. It was why I bought a MKIV. I thought I would have to send it back to Ruger. When I called about seeing where to send it some gal on the phone walked me through "unjamming" it. Damned if it did't work. She said she spends a lot of her day walking people through the procedure. :)

Back in the late 70s I bought a slightly used Mk I 10" barrel model. While I didn't use it much most of the time, I determined to see how long it would run before cleaning. Actually shot it for over 10 years without cleaning at all.

Finally ran some Russian "Jr" 22 (perhaps it was even black powder or maybe just ground up coal) until it really did get mucked up. I was amazed.

what exactly was it? the pin thru part 33 or something else?

On my MKIII the takedown lever would come back but not all the way to allow the parts to be pulled free. You could snap it back in and the bolt could be drawn back but it felt funny like it was dragging. Then would not always fall forward without some assist. It was not cocking as trigger was dead. What the woman at Ruger said is the little strut was off to the side in there instead of in the little groove. Fix was insert mag, hold trigger back, While holding trigger remove mag, then while still holding trigger back hit entire pistol muzzle down on a hard surface 3 times. She has of course told me ahead of time to have good solid surface with something on it to protect the muzzle. I used a table with a piece of leather. After three hard blows was to try to pull the takedown lever. No luck the first time, she said try all the steps again, and there it was. Lever came down and out of the pistol. Then of course when put back together correctly all was fine again. I have never had this happen with a MKII or ever heard of it happening. So not sure if it does with them. She said she spends a lot of time walking owners through this same thing. I still love that little MKIII but I rarely shoot it now as I don't want to take it apart again. Just use that Gun Scrubber spray on it. It was a gift from my Wife when the panic was going on and these were VERY hard to find. She keeps saying she has no problem with it being traded off though and it will probably be. The MKIV system is just SOOOO much better.

There was an independent design to allow ease of cleaning. Forgot the name but the one I ordered came just as Mk 4 was released so never installed it. It changed the bolt removal via hard parts modifications

There was an independent design to allow ease of cleaning. Forgot the name but the one I ordered came just as Mk 4 was released so never installed it. It changed the bolt removal via hard parts modifications

Not surprised someone would come up with something. The damn MK design has been a problem since the MKII hit. Back then Algore had not invented the net yet :). The original manual that came with the first MKII's SUCKED. They did a piss poor job of describing what you were supposed to do. I bought one for the Wife and almost gave up. Ruger was getting a lot of the guns back in pieces from angry owners. So they finally re wrote the manual and made it a LOT better. Then the net came along and of course right away people showing others how to do this. Then I saw a place made a deal that converted it so you just had to use an Allen Wrench to take it down. By then I had it mastered. Then before I turned my MKIII into a paper weight another member here turned me onto a part that replaces a bushing in the gun and does away with that stupid mag safety on the MKIII. Which is what makes it so hard. It's only like $10 and is supposed to be easy to put in. I was going to order one and then bricked the damn gun so never did. Then since I bought a MKIV I of course never bought it. The MKIV was one of those "well it's about damn time" kind of deals. whoever at Ruger came up with that deserves to get rich off it. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top