JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bonding wasn't a big issue back when passenger airplanes were made of metal. Just fastening the metal pieces together provided pathways for electrical current to pass. Even then, there was an effort to provide electrical connection throughout the aircraft with bonding jumpers, in case paint or other coatings impaired the flow of electricity.

More recently, the use of carbon fiber and fiberglass has limited the pathway for electrical currents in aircraft, so bonding has become a major issue. For instance, lightning strikes are common enough to be a serious threat.

Grounding during fueling is a big deal. Back when gasoline was the fuel, a static electrical spark could ignite vapors, resulting in explosion and fire. With jet fuel being basically kerosene, that danger is much less. It still is necessary, and outside of the airline industry, there have been some incidents due to lack of grounding.

737-300 skidded off the runway during takeoff today. 4 seriously injured. No clue why. Routine accident?

"The pilot told us everything was under control and that we're going to try to take off again," he told the AP. "The second time, smoke started coming from one of the wings."

One hundred percent flight crew error, very reckless and irresponsible. When the first take off attempt was aborted, return to the gate area and get everyone on another flight. The ground maintenance crew needed to determine the cause of the first take off abort.
It is more likely to be "routine" on an aircraft that is at least 25 years old (the last 300 was produced in 1999) in a country/airline that is not operating to say, US standards. These stories have always been common; we just didn't hear about them until it is now "news."

So they're just selling fear again.
Yeah, there' a coordinated media hit out on BA, I can see one of three possible reasons.
1. There are SIX different contractors vying for Prime on a HUGE USAF contract, and kneecapping a rival via media jackals is a fine old industry position.
2. Somebody with strong media connections has a bunch of Short Sell positions and is trying to "Drive the Short," muh like how Bin Laden and a BUNCH of other suspicious folks shorted BA, UAL and AMR right before 9/11.
3. "Flood The Zone"--from BA Corporate, drown out the legit stories from the whistleblowers with so much blatant BS that *all* the critics legit or not get tarred with the same Negative Nancy brush.

737-Max 8 does a Dutch roll. Sounds like some kind of little Debbie snack but apparently it's bad for the plane.

Turns out a Dutch Roll isn't much of a roll at all. It's more like a fashion model walking down a runway moving her butt a lot.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=2tgfkGiHhxs

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=9Gt-IcCBiQ4

It can cause the plane to shudder in a way that can cause damage to the plane. Not very exciting.

Last Edited:
737-Max 8 does a Dutch roll. Sounds like some kind of little Debbie snack but apparently it's bad for the plane.

Every modern commercial airliner can get into this situation. Basically the aircraft rolls in one direction and yaws in the opposite direction. There are automatic yaw dampers that correct this occurrence. It sounds like there was a problem in the rudder (yaw) controls; maybe the yaw dampers.

I'm currently sitting in the club at Chicago O'Hare, looking out the window at my gate, waiting for my 737-800 or Max8 to roll up. I'll make sure all the doors are on before I board. I'm all for airline safety, as I fly a bunch. But I also think we are not hearing about everything.

I would like to see more info about the Hawaii incident as the details are limited. If the plane was approaching the airport at Kauai, it would eventually get to an altitude of about zero. Some reports say it had initially been at 16,000 feet, but it was approaching the airport in bad weather. You can't land at 16,000 feet when the airport is just above sea level. I think we are seeing some reports where they are making headlines to sound sensational. Shock.

I'm currently sitting in the club at Chicago O'Hare, looking out the window at my gate, waiting for my 737-800 or Max8 to roll up. I'll make sure all the doors are on before I board. I'm all for airline safety, as I fly a bunch. But I also think we are not hearing about everything.

I would like to see more info about the Hawaii incident as the details are limited. If the plane was approaching the airport at Kauai, it would eventually get to an altitude of about zero. Some reports say it had initially been at 16,000 feet, but it was approaching the airport in bad weather. You can't land at 16,000 feet when the airport is just above sea level. I think we are seeing some reports where they are making headlines to sound sensational. Shock.
Ohare should be fine. It's Portland and San Fran the drug places where the maintenance drug monkeys forget to tighten the lug nuts and worse. :s0112:

I performed a dutch oven with one the blankets they hand out to the passenger that fell asleep next to me. That is how I got banned from United.

This is the latest information I have seen. A combination of bad weather and pilot error. My question is why did the pilot put the less-experienced first officer in control of the airplane in very adverse weather conditions? They both have some serious explaining to do.

"Southwest Flight 2786 dropped from an altitude of roughly 1,000 feet to 400 feet above the ocean in just a few seconds, according to data from ADS-B Exchange, a flight tracking website. The plane, which was near Kauai's Lihue Airport, then began a rapid climb.

The pilot was "pitching up and pitching down with the power and close to out of control — very close," Kit Darby, a former commercial airline pilot and flight instructor, said in an interview after reviewing details of the flight. "It would feel like a roller coaster ride."

According to Southwest's review, the incident occurred following an aborted landing attempt due to bad weather that blocked the pilots from seeing the runway by a specified altitude.

The captain opted to put the "newer" first officer in command on the short flight to Lihue despite the forecasts, according to the memo.

The less-experienced first officer "inadvertently" pushed forward on the control column while following movement of the thrust lever caused by the plane's automatic throttle. The pilot then cut the speed, causing the airplane to descend."

Fair Maintenance Workers.jpg

This is the latest information I have seen. A combination of bad weather and pilot error. My question is why did the pilot put the less-experienced first officer in control of the airplane in very adverse weather conditions? They both have some serious explaining to do.

"Southwest Flight 2786 dropped from an altitude of roughly 1,000 feet to 400 feet above the ocean in just a few seconds, according to data from ADS-B Exchange, a flight tracking website. The plane, which was near Kauai's Lihue Airport, then began a rapid climb.

The pilot was "pitching up and pitching down with the power and close to out of control — very close," Kit Darby, a former commercial airline pilot and flight instructor, said in an interview after reviewing details of the flight. "It would feel like a roller coaster ride."

According to Southwest's review, the incident occurred following an aborted landing attempt due to bad weather that blocked the pilots from seeing the runway by a specified altitude.

The captain opted to put the "newer" first officer in command on the short flight to Lihue despite the forecasts, according to the memo.

The less-experienced first officer "inadvertently" pushed forward on the control column while following movement of the thrust lever caused by the plane's automatic throttle. The pilot then cut the speed, causing the airplane to descend."

Wow. From the original story I thought he started his crazy maneuver a lot higher up than that. He had no altitude left to recover from a second screw-up. Lucky.

Good info, and this makes much more sense than a drop of over 15,000 feet, like the headlines are saying. I don't pretend to know the protocols for training pilots, but at some point, the less experienced first officers need to take the controls so they can get experience under the control and guidance of the captain. This has to mean more than taking the controls in clear weather at 36,000 feet. They are on the flight deck partially, so if something happens to the captain, they can land the plane.

I've actually been on flights where the captains have announced after landing that the right seat landed the plane and what a great job he or she did, and not always under perfect conditions. BTW, 2.5 hours into the flight and our 737-800 still has all the doors. :cool: I'm looking for wood to knock on now, but it's pretty hard to find on a plane!!! My head will have to do.

That sounds a lot like the scenario of MCAS going berserk. But, if it truly was an inexperienced pilot, than I can only concur with:
Maybe a diversity hire.
Many agencies and companies are bypassing merit-based hiring, even for life-safety positions.

I was watching this cool video on recovering a B-25 from a lake:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSbO5Zv3gEA

And their diversity hire diver was pissing me off. She kept saying how hard it was. She can't do it. She admitted to coming up, leaving her male counterparts in the water because she just couldn't see anything.
Well, guess who was able to get the slings under the wings? Not diversity hire.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top