JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't see too many posts on ankle carry. Trying to wrap my head around the idea of ankle carry and the practical uses of it...

I can only see it for a backup gun option, or an addition place to conceal extra weapons, slow to access but an option that could save your bubblegum, sort of a last ditch derringer/boot knife sort of thing.

If I were in need of Carrying 3 handguns, ankle might be a good option for me. Wonder what peoples thoughts are on this.

What piece did you carry if you have ankle carried, Or what do you think would be a good option for an ankle carry?

What would your reasoning be for carrying on the ankle and what situation would warrant it?

Had a Beretta Pico a while back and kept it in an ankle holster. Never really thought it was a viable option for primary defensive tool. Very slow to deploy, but, with time to get it out it would work. Ended up selling the gun as I hated the two mile long trigger pull with my hand that had surgery from tendon damage.

I have a SW 642 that I sometimes carry in an ankle holster, i think it's a Desantis. It's actually a very comfortable hostler, leather with neoprene and some sort of sheep skin (probably fake). Once you get used to it, you forget it's on.

I find it convenient when driving or sitting at a restaurant. When I'm not able to grab a pocket pistol, or possibly a side arm for whatever reason.

I'm making a G43, I might get one for that too. It's not for everyone, but I'd rather have it and have access to it than not.

Ankle carry makes running difficult and risky to lose it while doing so. And it's quite possibly the slowest to deploy. Probably why you don't see too many posts about it.

I have a SW 642 that I sometimes carry in an ankle holster, i think it's a Desantis. It's actually a very comfortable hostler, leather with neoprene and some sort of sheep skin (probably fake). Once you get used to it, you forget it's on.

I find it convenient when driving or sitting at a restaurant. When I'm not able to grab a pocket pistol, or possibly a side arm for whatever reason.

I'm making a G43, I might get one for that too. It's not for everyone, but I'd rather have it and have access to it than not
I wonder, has the retention held up well over time with the desantis?

Thats my concern is losing the piece with the movement in the leg esp with vigorous movement. Some holsters though look of good quality leather and retention quality belt type loops holes w/ button snaps, others look like velcro junk.

I would assume ankle carry could make running awkward, possibly changing your stride a little being a little unbalanced, but with such small pieces pico or g43 i dunno they're quite small.

It really shines in the non-permissive carry role, super easy to conceal and doesn't bulk up your pockets.

The drawbacks have already been stated up above me

I wonder, has the retention held up well over time with the desantis?

Thats my concern is losing the piece with the movement in the leg esp with vigorous movement. Some holsters though look of good quality leather and retention quality belt type loops holes w/ button snaps, others look like velcro junk.

I would assume ankle carry could make running awkward, possibly changing your stride a little being a little unbalanced, but with such small pieces pico or g43 i dunno they're quite small.
It's as tight as the day I got it. I don't run, but you don't notice it when you are walking if it's adjusted correctly.

Nope.

D46D8F4C-E9DA-4C70-BB2C-78963F7B0A80.jpeg

Real question for those that ankle carry:

How often do you train to deploy it? Meaning how many of you have had the opportunity to draw and fire it on target? I have never seen anyone practice with ankle carry, not at any range (prob not allowed) and not out in the woods or otherwise. Carrying is great, but without practice it's terribly slow and dangerous.

Yup, back in the early 90's carried a Taurus 85 in an ankle holster, wore black lace up boots at the time, so it was virtually undetectable even when I sat down. Very slow to get into action, best served if you are always sitting or always have sufficient cover to get to it.

Was working retail electronics as a second job, so I was always closing and accompanying the manager or assistant manager for night deposits, this it really fit the sitting/always sufficient cover requirement.

Best relegated to a backup gun, or if you absolutely must have deep concealment.

Real question for those that ankle carry:

How often do you train to deploy it? Meaning how many of you have had the opportunity to draw and fire it on target? I have never seen anyone practice with ankle carry, not at any range (prob not allowed) and not out in the woods or otherwise. Carrying is great, but without practice it's terribly slow and dangerous.
This is a really great point. And if deployed, one would most likely be on one knee firing…. Might have to try that on my next outing, just to understand the complexity of deployment.

Today I prefer appendix or pocket carry for a 2" .38, just makes so much more sense.

I don't think it's entirely practical for all or in all situations, but sometimes it's better than nothing.

I used to be at a job where slacks and button downs where the standard and required a lot of high reaching, low bending, lifting, twisting, etc. IWB's and pocket carry could be extremely uncomfortable at times and even torso and underarm would print. In that case, and within the confines of the work space, ankle carry was the only practical option so as not to potentially make any co-workers or customers "uncomfortable".

Better than nothing, but it's certainly an option of last resort.

I never really thought of it too much myself, though when you're in a sitting position like on a beach chair or a recliner, it can be a plus. I've got twigs for ankles, so when I tried it it wasn't very comfortable for me. Just like any carry method, it's a personal choice so there's really no right or wrong in your carry preferences. We're all built differently and must adapt accordingly.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top