JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was thinking of purchasing a new Del-ton AR, decent gun for the price but I came across this warning.

Ammunition Warning
Due to a number of comments and calls, we have come across feeding problems with certain ammunition. Shooting any of the following ammunition will VOID any warranty with Del-Ton, Inc;
-Wolf

-Norinco

-Any steel cased-cased ammunition

-Any lacquer-coated ammunition

-Any reloaded ammunition

Is this standard for AR makers? If so who is shooting all that wolf ammo?

Wolf isn't as bad as most people make it out to be. I put 1k rounds through 2 ARs (split between a buddy of mine) and the only failure I had was when we ran roughly 250 rounds straight through it in a quick manner. A cold range was called, and there was a round left in the HOT chamber for about 10 minutes with the safety on. When we resumed firing, it wouldn't eject the case. It was the older lacquer coated stuff, and all we could figure is the chamber gummed up and turned the lacquer into glue. Popped it out with a brass dowel and went right back to shooting.

Some believe extractors get damaged by steel cases. I don't have enough experience either way to say if this is true or not. All my ARs have ate Wolf fine without a hiccup (other than the one noted)

All that being said...If you don't want to void your warranty stick to brass.

I see a few companies with this disclaimer.
I don't have an AR type gun but know of lots that do.
Steel cased ammo seems to work in their guns.

DSA has it as well for their FALS.
Some it works in no problem, others post spectacular KB's.
I'll just stick to brass.

When I bought my oly arms AR they say the same thing. Its also posted on their website. I wouldnt worry about it much as there are some fine people on this website that will help you out if you encounter a problem with your new AR. :)

Most companies only offer a 1 or 2 year warranty anyways. I don't shoot any Wolf and ammo made from some country I never heard of. The good thing about Oly is the lifetime warranty and Stag has one as well. H&K all has rules of that sort and say you void the warranty shooting aluminum ammo as well.

I was just reading stags warranty, I see what you mean when you say "sort of voids the warranty" They are not real clear on what exactly voids the warranty.

I have been shooting wolf ammo in my SKS with no problems for years, its cheap and works every time I pull the trigger.....hate to shoot spendy ammo at the run away zucchini from the garden :)

This is good to know, I would not buy a del-ton if this is their policy. If their rifles won't hold up to different types of popular ammo they need to fix them so they will. Wolf ammo causes problems because of the laquer they use, but you can clean it out and continue to shoot.

I have a del ton and have shot all kinds of ammo through it. Not a single problem and if you ever need a waranty fix just tell them you only shot brass. Clean the gun good and they will never know. Also the Del ton is a good enough gun you wont be needing that warranty

Wolf ammo causes problems because of the laquer they use, but you can clean it out and continue to shoot.

I believe that Wolf no longer uses any lacquer on their casings, but Barnaul still does.

I have heard but cannot verify that the lacquer doesn't come off since it's baked on at a higher temperature than the chamber gets, and the chamber fouling is actually caused by carbon buildup from the stiffer steel cases quickly expanding and contracting causing carbon fouling in the chamber, in contrast with brass cases which expand and stretch to seal the chamber.

I don't shoot any Wolf and ammo made from some country I never heard of.

You've never heard of Russia, Serbia, or Korea? LOL. :)

I believe that Wolf no longer uses any lacquer on their casings, but Barnaul still does.

I have heard but cannot verify that the lacquer doesn't come off since it's baked on at a higher temperature than the chamber gets, and the chamber fouling is actually caused by carbon buildup from the stiffer steel cases quickly expanding and contracting causing carbon fouling in the chamber, in contrast with brass cases which expand and stretch to seal the chamber.

You've never heard of Russia, Serbia, or Korea? LOL. :)

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing, maybe you should buy a Globe! LOL!

I'm bringing up an old thread that is on topic rather than starting a new one. Search didn't find me a specific answer. I got a deal on some Wolf .45 Auto black box ammo. I didn't know anything about it, and did some quick searches. Now I know why it may be cheap.

I went to the Sig Sauer web sight due to rumors it would void the warrantee. Sig's FAQ section says any ammo that meets Saami specifications and is factory fresh (not reloaded) is fine. I went to the Saami sight and I'd need to be an engineer to figure out if Wolf ammo meets the saami standards. Does anybody know?

Wolf hasn't used lacquer on their cases since the early 90's. They have a polymer coating now.
I think most manufacturers say the same thing about reloads voiding the warranty, but anybody who wants accurate ammo and reloads will work up loads for it. It's just a way to release them from liability. I haven't heard of anybody being rejected from a warranty claim because of steel cased ammo.

One thing to keep in mind, at least with an AR is if you shoot both steel and brass without cleaning inbetween, shoot the brass first. Since steel doesn't expand in the chamber like brass will, there is more blow-by (and their powders aren't exactly top notch either) so there have been cases of folks shooting steel case ammo, then shooting brass and when the brass expands it sticks to the gummy powder residue left by the steel ammo and you may get stuck cases.

Wolf hasn't used lacquer on their cases since the early 90's. They have a polymer coating now.
I think most manufacturers say the same thing about reloads voiding the warranty, but anybody who wants accurate ammo and reloads will work up loads for it. It's just a way to release them from liability. I haven't heard of anybody being rejected from a warranty claim because of steel cased ammo.

One thing to keep in mind, at least with an AR is if you shoot both steel and brass without cleaning in between, shoot the brass first. Since steel doesn't expand in the chamber like brass will, there is more blow-by (and their powders aren't exactly top notch either) so there have been cases of folks shooting steel case ammo, then shooting brass and when the brass expands it sticks to the gummy powder residue left by the steel ammo and you may get stuck cases.

Thanks for the info. I clean my guns after every time out. I had read about the residue issue, and not to mix brass with the mild steel ammo without cleaning. A "somebody" on another board wrote the steel ammo can be hard on ejectors, but others say they've fired thousands of rounds and everything is working fine. So I was hoping somebody would point out definitively if the wolf ammo is saami compliant. I'm on the fence of shooting the stuff and see what happens or calling Sig and asking. I think I'd just get a legal non-answer from them though.

aside from reloads, if a cartridge blows your gun up, the cartridge company owes you a new gun... so if your gun hiccups on a certain type of ammo, make any adjustments you can (i can get any AR to fire any ammo, for instance), or use a different kind of ammo. if your gun actually breaks- that's not ammo, that's just a broken gun. don't tell them what ammo you used, or lie- they have no way of knowing.

I have a Del-Ton upper on my scratch-built M4-gery, and have run HUNDREDS of Wolf "steelies" through it without a single glitch whatsoever, but be SURE to clean your weapon properly, because I let mine sit for about a four days before I got around to it and there was what looked like dried "salt stains" out the slots of the bird cage. Mine's all chrome lined inside anyway so no worries, but "non-corrosive" my arse.

100_1191.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews