JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If I were to buy a used LPVO that was starting to look a bit salty, beat, scratches on the main tube, dials etc. how hard would it be to invoke the VIP warranty to get it replaced with a new one? I've heard Vortex has the best warranty in the industry so buying used seems like a no brainer but just curious if anyone else has done this with success.

The way I read this , you are wanting them to give you a new scope in exchange for a used one that you purchased beat up? My feeling is this is why fewer companies don't offer these types of warranties anymore. Basically people trying to take advantage of their generosity.

Vent over. Regarding the actual warranty, I believe it covers problems making the product unusable/defective, so I don't see this meeting that definition. Sounds just well used but still functional

i mean, I'm pretty sure it was one of either CDoes, Brass Facts, or Hoplopfheil on youtube who gave me the idea to even think of it. So you can blame them for putting the idea of RMA-ing a bought used optic for a replacement into the atmosphere.

Companies like Sig offer a lifetime transferable warranty so it doesn't matter if it's the original owner that initiates the claim or the second, third or whichever owner that does. I have heard vortex's warranty is very similar.

If you want to question the ethics of buying a used scope and then trying to use a warranty under terms specified by the company themselves then i think that's debatable. But I don't think it makes any difference to Vortex whether I were to initiate the claim or if it was original owner. Other than that they lose out on a theoretical sale of a new optic to me, which they wouldn't have had anyways since it's out of my price range new.

Last Edited:
I think the key there is: "The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product."

To what degree is the condition that they would consider it hindering the performance of the product. They are hardly losing a sale to you though. It's used. They've already been paid for it. You buying it off the owner only puts money back in the owner pocket... not Vortex's. Sheesh.

I think if it's doable though, I have to wonder why the guy you're buying it from hasn't turned it in for a brand new one to sell for near full price as a "new-open box" item. Right?

It smacks of abuse and probably why they have to charge so much for their gear. They have to make up for all the yahoos that trash their own gear to get a new one just becuase they dropped it and scratched the tube.

If I were to buy a used LPVO that was starting to look a bit salty, beat, scratches on the main tube, dials etc. how hard would it be to invoke the VIP warranty to get it replaced with a new one? I've heard Vortex has the best warranty in the industry so buying used seems like a no brainer but just curious if anyone else has done this with success.
Curious what you did and how it worked out???

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top