JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay we all know where this is going but the review will still be fun.

Went off into the woods today and sent some lead downrange. It didn't occur to me until after I left to write a comparison so I don't have pictures of the targets but I'll do my best to describe the results.

The rifle used was an AR platform with a free floating 16" chrome lined barrel and a 1:7 twist. Standard Carry Handle type Iron Sights. The target was set at 100 yards. Temperature was 34 degrees and overcast.

Ammunition Tested:

IMI 5.56 M193 55gr FMJ (40 rounds)

PMC 5.56 M193 55gr FMJ - Headstamp 1979 - (40 rounds)

Herter's .223 55gr FMJ (Steel Cased 40 rounds)

IMG_4423.JPG

Test & Performance:

IMI:

I know we grew up being told to save the best for last but I'm going to cut to the chase: IMI shot beautifully. Not even just in comparison to the other rounds fired that day. I was impressed by the tight groups and clean burn of the round. I was consistently shooting 1" groups at the 100 yard mark. Zero jams, zero failure to fire and after 40 rounds the rifle barely looked dirty. I'd trust my life to these rounds.

5/5 STARS

PMC from 1979:

I had no expectations for this round. Several of these boxes have been floating around my closet for years not being used. Why? Because I had no idea how well they'd shoot and generally when I go out I want to be able to hit my target. Well today was that test. For being nearly 40 years old the ammo did okay....but just okay.

At 100 yards they were shooting three inches high and about four inches to the left. The groups weren't great but if push came to shove I was still putting holes in paper.....just not in the black. Zero jams, zero failure to fire. These rounds lacked accuracy and guessing by the age (but without a chronograph) probably a little speed too. If you come across a box of these on the cheap I think it would be okay to pick up and practice some CQ drills, but don't expect any decent target shooting and don't put them in your go bag.

2/5 STARS

Herter's .223:

These rounds are hot garbage. Here is a list of all the things that went right

And that concludes the list.

There were four failure to feed issues where whatever lacquer coats the steel made it stick to the magazine; thus requiring an aggressive rip on the charging handle to get the round to load.

Zero accuracy. I actually couldn't tell you if they were even shooting in groups. The best I can say is that some rounds hit the paper and some didn't. Cabela's sells this ammunition under the Herter's brand but it's actually head-stamped Tulammo. Fine, the Russians are good at a lot of things but making AR capable rounds isn't one of them.

The ammunition is also incredibly dirty. The 40 rounds sent downrange made it look like someone had spilled grainy oil on the inside of my receiver. I'm perfectly fine cleaning my rifle after the range but I don't want the ammunition I use to also gum up the works.

I have a few boxes left and am in no rush to use them.

1/5 STARS....the 1 star is because the ammo went bang.

AND THE WINNER IS:

IMI

We all knew this wouldn't even be close. This is a good reminder to practice with the ammunition you use, know what works and what doesn't work, and don't skimp out just to save a few bucks.

IMG_4417.JPG

Safe Shooting, Everyone!

PMC is known for being a little on the weak side, and not known for being accurate. Just stack cheap and deep, though there would be better options for that.

Nice to hear IMI ammo did well, I might try it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top