Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ammo Cans

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by spectra, Sep 4, 2010.

1. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

2. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I recently was at Bi-Mart and they are selling plastic .50 ammo cans (boxes?) for less than $10 (I think). I think that these would be good to store bulk ammo in as they have a rubber seal around the top and seem to be pretty tough.

3. Decidion

Decidion Washington county, Oregon Member

Or you can PM "Ammo Can Sales" for the real thing. He was selling used surplus .50 cal cans for $8 each. I bought a bunch of them and they are all in really good shape with excellent rubber gaskets.

4. marty8587

marty8587 NE Portland Active Member

+1 on ammocan sales and a real nice guy.

5. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

I've used surplus ammo cans for dry storage when whitewater rafting and they are great but need to be checked before buying. I've found pin holes by holding the open can up to a lighted window and looking inside the can. Store clerk suggested I buy it anyway but got me another while I was laughing.

6. spectra

The link that is gone now were actuallly mortar cans. They are about the same size as a .50 but 3 feet tall. I picked up a few just to see how they can work for things.

If there are a few people interested I found another guy up north who has a bunch of them. He sells them for 8 or 10 dollars each. I might be heading north and can pick a few up just let me know.

This is what they look like Mortar Ammo Can, M120/M121 [228701] - $9.95 :: Colemans Military Surplus LLC - Your one-stop surplus store with Army/Navy products for hunting gear, camping gear, emergency products, and survival products

7. Ryo

Ryo WA Member

How far north are you talking about.

8. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

The surplus store out in Boring had the mortar cans at one point. They were a little scuffed up but still serviceable.

9. Tactical SS

Tactical SS Washington Member

Surplus Ammo and Arms, in Lakewood, has .50 cans for around $6 (I think), I bought 3 for under $20.

10. twoclones

I tried a couple of those 120mm mortar cans for dry food storage. Each one can hold the big bag {40#?} of beans or rice from Costco plus some more like 5# sugar or a couple pounds of salt... I lined mine with a trash bag before putting the food inside.

Just a few of these store a lot of supplies in a small footprint without stacking. They are long enough to hold Marlin Papoose or Henry AR-7 along with a few hundred thousand rounds of .22lr too ;)

11. spectra

He was in Toledo WA I think.

And yes that is what I figured they might be good for food storage. I thought about the rifle thing but figured they might be just a little small for that. But if it fits all the better.

12. riverrat373

riverrat373 Washington State Member

I just purchased 3 of them from Bi-Mart. $9.95 ea! Made by MTM/Caseguard.

13. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

+1 again.

SF-

14. twoclones

The 120mm mortar can is 32" tall on the outside. Both the Marlin Papoose and Henry AR-7 would fit. Heck, a dozen AR-7s might fit into the 120mm can! A Ruger 10-22 would fit if you took out one screw and broke it down. My Smitih & Wesson M&P ARt is 32 1/2" so would fit if the "flash suppressor compensator" or butt stock was removed.

This thread got me to looking for a couple more motar cans but I haven't found them in the Tri-Cities yet :(