JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
HIPAA law still puts the decision of who gets what info about your medical issues squarley in your hands. BTW, by and large medical records are already in an electronic database. Nonetheless, you are the end all be all of your own medical info. If you want info shared it's completely up to you when and how much.

That's the current law and you're correct about that. But what happens when your records are in a national database. It'll have to be that way if Obama meets his goal of having all medical records being available to any provider.

I don't think that it's a "tin foil hat" leap to think that all of your medical records will be available to any agency who wants them. We've heard time and time again how the laws should prohibit people who are perceved to have a mental issue should be prohibited from buying guns. I believe it's only a matter of time before doctor patient priveledge will be breached when it comes to treatment for mental issues. That could include mild anti-depressant and ritalan prescriptions to name a few.

Maybe I'm drawing a line here that's not in the realm of possibility but it looks like a clear connection to me.

Read bottom of page 3 under Privacy. Looks like Hipaa is superceded by obammycare.

<broken link removed>

FALSE. FALSE. FALSE. Please tell me you are not hanging your hat on his document? It is nothing more than a litany of fear mongering inaccuracies. Certainly you feel it is accurate because it reinforces what you already believe.

Your document asserts "Under the new Obama health plan, your physician is required to enter all information for each patient, including all treatments, into a government electronic database". This is blatantly FALSE. It is utter nuttery.

This link should shed some light on the issue. Please note it comes from a law office which provides many links regarding HIPAA and health information technology. It is considerably more credible on the subject of this thread than the obviously conservatively biased website you provided.

Nowhere is there a requirement to provide private health info to the government.

HIPAA and HIT Changes in Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act : HIPAA, HITECH & HIT

Furthermore: "Kathleen Sibelius, Secretary Of HHS stated the following: Ensuring that Americans' health information privacy is protected is vital to our health care system and a priority of this Administration. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is serious about enforcing individual rights guaranteed by the HIPAA Privacy Rule." :: HIPAA Privacy Rule :: HIPAA, HITECH & HIT :: Fox Rothschild LLP

Since we are all interested in facts here is what the Affordable Care Act actually does: <broken link removed>

Well THAT changes everything! If its on a .gov website, and Kathleen Sibilius says so... it MUST be true. Just like when Obama said passage of the AHCRA would lower everyone's premiums by 15-20%. Oops, except they went UP approx. 20% last year and are fixin' to spike again this coming year. I work for a union signatory company, and the front office is "bracing" themselves for the next price-hike.

This whole thing, and EVERYTHING the government does is about revenue, ultimate power, and absolute control.... Period.

Be careful for what you vote for... you might just get it.

Being unable to manage financial affairs is not something a doctor can decide lightly.

A person must have documented mental health issues, dementia, bipolar disorder, scizophrenia, brain damage or such that their welfare check needs to be managed by a third party...

The actual question on the form is "is this person competent to endorse a check". If you are not, something is seriously wrong with you and current law already disqualifies you, the database just may not know it...

so if you don't pay the doctor fee you are not competent to manage your financial affairs boy talk about guaranteeing you get paid

so if you don't pay the doctor fee you are not competent to manage your financial affairs boy talk about guaranteeing you get paid

Not really... Remember these are veterans... Their care is already free...

I know there is a sentiment here about this being a conspiracy to ban guns... But call it what it really is...

This is about folks who are already mentally challenged being labeled appropriately...

I have dealt with these folks and it is sad when they lose a huge amount of money because somebody asked them for 10k and they write him a check because he looked like a nice guy or resembled a family member...

There are established criteria for determining a person incompetent... It is not just because you did not pay a bill...

I know there is a sentiment here about this being a conspiracy to ban guns... But call it what it really is...

This is about folks who are already mentally challenged being labeled appropriately...

I have dealt with these folks and it is sad when they lose a huge amount of money because somebody asked them for 10k and they write him a check because he looked like a nice guy or resembled a family member...

There are established criteria for determining a person incompetent... It is not just because you did not pay a bill...

only if you want to continue being a gunnies pig for these so called doctors to get there on hands training

Incompetence with your finances should not be grounds to lose your gun rights. If a person is threatening and dangerous, the proper medical and psychological exams should be performed and it should be a rigorous and long process. Anything that can strip a veteran, who put his life on the line for our freedom, of his gun rights should be done with utmost care, consideration and scrutiny. I'm sorry, but I don't trust the government and feel that mismanaging your finances should have no weight on your Right To Keep and Bear Arms.

Also, if you look at all the attacks by disgruntled people, very few were committed by veterans. There has been more postal workers, computer programmers, school teachers, medical students, etc who have went on shooting rampages than veterans. Many veterans are trained to protect civilians rather than murder and have seen the real horrors of war and suffering. They are less likely to murder than many others who only see killing and bloodshed glorified in movies, songs and other bad influences they are given in this society.

Didn't this same government say that veterans should be put on a terrorist watch list because they are a threat to the government? Sorry, I don't have good feelings about what Big Brother is doing to its veterans. I feel the government doesn't like citizens who are well trained with weaponry and have the inside knowledge of the government. They figure once they are returned to the civilian world, they may be a threat to their own personal agendas that may go against the same oaths and Constitution these veterans swore to protect.

IMO, the government feels our soldiers are expendable and that they are better off non-existent after they have finished their service.

What a kick in the face.

It is?! Then I wonder why I still had to pay a co-pay to the VA. Gosh darn it, I knew I was getting scammed!

It's (at a minimum) a conspiracy for the left to stop VA claims. I know each time I go to the VA and they ask me those PTSD questions I shudder and lie to hope I'm saying the right stuff to not get put on some "mental incompetant database" and have to turn my gun rights over.

I find it pretty funny(in a sick kind of way) that of all adminstrations this one has any right to say anything about mismanaging money and finances in reguards to anyone. Talk about the party of projection.

It is?! Then I wonder why I still had to pay a co-pay to the VA. Gosh darn it, I knew I was getting scammed!

It's (at a minimum) a conspiracy for the left to stop VA claims. I know each time I go to the VA and they ask me those PTSD questions I shudder and lie to hope I'm saying the right stuff to not get put on some "mental incompetant database" and have to turn my gun rights over.

Riot - hope they don't read this - they may consider you being scammed as incompetence.... :s0131:

only if you want to continue being a gunnies pig for these so called doctors to get there on hands training

For poop sakes. ALL doctors get hands on training. Doesn't matter if they are a VA doc or a private practice doc. All docs do internships and rotations during med school then do residencies after med school. All of them work through a pecking order between their first year and their last year of residency so I guess at one time or another almost everyone here has been a guinea pig.

I find it pretty funny(in a sick kind of way) that of all adminstrations this one has any right to say anything about mismanaging money and finances in reguards to anyone. Talk about the party of projection.

You have a very selective memory.

For poop sakes. ALL doctors get hands on training. Doesn't matter if they are a VA doc or a private practice doc. All docs do internships and rotations during med school then do residencies after med school. All of them work through a pecking order between their first year and their last year of residency so I guess at one time or another almost everyone here has been a guinea pig.

very true but most of the time they are supervised unlike the military

Depends on your disability rating.
If you're lying about your PTSD symptoms, then you are stupid and deserve to pay the copay.
It doesn't look very good if you lie about your symptoms and then several years down the road decide you have it..... What do you think the VA is going to think? I know that noone has the exact same symptoms as anyone else and that some of the Vietnam guys didn't seek help for it for many years. They ALSO didn't go to the VA at all during those years, so therefore they had no previous paperwork saying they were fine. The Army and Marine Corps are both dealing with lawsuits and attempted med-review boards for veterans who've been out of the service for 2-8 years and are NOW saying they have X wrong with them and they want retired from their service because the VA isn't giving them what they wany. It's not the services fault that they failed to have their "problems" properly documented before their EAS. Then again, the same services are also dealing with cases where the veteran was discharged while still on a med board or lim-du and are attempting to get things corrected.

They aren't going to put you on any "incompetent list" unless you are judged to be a danger to others, so since you've been working since your tour on active duty, I would judge that you aren't a danger to anyone. I really don't believe that this is an attempt to slow or stop PTSD claims, but is truly a way to ensure that individuals that are so damaged that they can't take care of their own money (as one example of something they can't do on their own) can't purchase, or be conned into purchasing, a firearm. I, for one, fully support it as long as there is a standardized plan put into place (the VA doesn't standardize anything and that is a big problem!) that ensures the veteran is REALLY incapable of taking care of himself. If there was a panel of some doctors, MSW, mental health professionals and also some of the above that aren't in the VA and have NO vested interest in the outcome of their decision on the vet's mental status, then I would be behind it 100%.

But, I've been in the VA system long enough to know that unless you have the ability to stand up and fight for yourself, and make your own contacts with people who have the power to grab the VA by the lapel and say "HEY, WTF?!", then the VA is a terrible system to rely on for your care.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top