JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Veterans' gun rights a sticky issue in defense bill | Fox News

Articles like this make me sick.. How can we treat the people who risked their lives to keep this country standing and safe like criminals??? Of course, they want to ban veterans from having guns , because many veterans don't have a lot of love for the left-wing government that wars against the good of the country and also has put strains on our veterans, themselves, reducing supplies, salaries. Their lives are basically fodder and publicity for many of the slimy politicians who cares little for risking everything for our freedom and the hardships they had to endure. They know veterans would also be some of the most skilled with firearms in the case of a government takeover, where citizens would face an arm struggle with a rogue government. Our government doesn't like strong citizens, but rather weak and helpless ones.

What country do I live in again? The USSA or USA? I cannot believe a country that treats its heroes like criminals. And, the worst of all, it says veterans who are poor should not be allowed to own guns. They say veterans who cannot manage money are mentally incompetent and should be banned from firearm ownership?? Excuse me!! Kick some dirt in the face of our brave men and women.

Brady Campaign said:
"We're talking about people who have some form of disability to the extent that they're unable to manage their own affairs," Gross said. "If you're deemed unable to handle your own affairs, that's likely to constitute a high percentage of people who are dangerously mentally ill."
Being a veteran and mismanaging money means you cannot be trusted with a firearm? Shouldn't this legislation being advocated equate to treason? Punishing our heroes and treating them subhuman as a reward for their efforts?

Oh wait, our Senators are advocating the same thing with these well constructed and deceptive statements:
Charles Schumer said:
Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., objected, saying the measure would make it easier for veterans with mental illness to own a gun, endangering themselves and others.
"I love our veterans, I vote for them all the time. They defend us," Schumer said. "If you are a veteran or not and you have been judged to be mentally infirm, you should not have a gun."
In straight, non-BS, no politician distorted words, mismanaging your money means you are too dangerous of a veteran to own a gun.

Sorry, I am pissed about it. It is also a big step in the direction of preventing all us evil, unstable, non-trustworthy and unstable people to be protected from ourselves and st

Veterans' gun rights a sticky issue in defense bill | Fox News

Articles like this make me sick.. How can we treat the people who risked their lives to keep this country standing and safe like criminals??? Of course, they want to ban veterans from having guns , because many veterans don't have a lot of love for the left-wing government that wars against the good of the country and also has put strains on our veterans, themselves, reducing supplies, salaries. Their lives are basically fodder and publicity for many of the slimy politicians who cares little for risking everything for our freedom and the hardships they had to endure. They know veterans would also be some of the most skilled with firearms in the case of a government takeover, where citizens would face an arm struggle with a rogue government. Our government doesn't like strong citizens, but rather weak and helpless ones.

What country do I live in again? The USSA or USA? I cannot believe a country that treats its heroes like criminals. And, the worst of all, it says veterans who are poor should not be allowed to own guns. They say veterans who cannot manage money are mentally incompetent and should be banned from firearm ownership?? Excuse me!! Kick some dirt in the face of our brave men and women.

Being a veteran and mismanaging money means you cannot be trusted with a firearm? Shouldn't this legislation being advocated equate to treason? Punishing our heroes and treating them subhuman as a reward for their efforts?

Oh wait, our Senators are advocating the same thing with these well constructed and deceptive statements:

In straight, non-BS, no politician distorted words, mismanaging your money means you are too dangerous of a veteran to own a gun.

Sorry, I am pissed about it. It is also a big step in the direction of preventing all us evil, unstable, non-trustworthy and unstable people to be protected from ourselves and st

If you are incompetent to manage your own affairs, this would, by previously existing legislation, make make you ineligible to own a firearm.Why would we make a group of people, based solely on thie previous service, exempt from this long-standing legislation?

I'm all for reinstating out currently lapsed Federal reinstatement's board. The notion that we should exempt people who clearly qualify under existing ferderl law FROM that law seem nonsensical unless the Senators currently involved wish to re-investigate GCA 1968, which I would be all in favor of.

This seems to be yet another GOP trope, not in favor of a solution, but in favor of another manufactured controversy againt their political opponents.

I'm afraid this may just be the tip of the iceberg. Obama has been adamant about making all health records accessible from an electronic data base. It's not too much of a stretch to expand this legislation to everyone. How about credit reports next? Some insurance companies allready use your credit report to determine your rates for car insurance. Will that be a determining factor for the ability to purchase a gun?

Hmmm... Not being able to manage money makes you mentally unfit? I wonder if any of our veterans have a personal $14,000,000,000,000.00+ debt, and a $4,000,000,000,000.00 deficit in their annual budgets.... Hmmm.

This was my first thought... see if they think the government should be without guns...

Not being able to manage money makes you mentally unfit? does this apply to politicians too? yea I know I'm :nuts: to even think that way!

bloombergmeme.jpg

Wait until the Obamacare bill goes into full force and they make you pay extremely high rates or refuse to cover you at all if you own guns! Dr's kill (sometimes called "medical mistakes") over 300,000 people a year and they're going to decide who owns a gun?

Wait until the Obamacare bill goes into full force and they make you pay extremely high rates or refuse to cover you at all if you own guns! Dr's kill (sometimes called "medical mistakes") over 300,000 people a year and they're going to decide who owns a gun?

How easy it is for the libs to get the guns out of vets hands without due process. Anyone that doesn't think they will use obammycare to regulate the crap out of our liberty especially guns is just not paying attention. But then if heathcare is free who really gives a crap about liberty as along as its fair. Just ask the 51% who put this moron back in office

I am afraid that Obamacare will be the way that they take guns away from people. It will take awhile but it will happen.

Awhile back if you took Ritalyn (sp) for ADHD as a kid you could not go into the military, not sure if that is still true. Not much of a reach to say no guns for you.

Now onto our veterans and the start of this thread because they cannot manage thier money they will/can loose thier gun rights. If you are too mentally impaired to have a gun how can you vote?

Now look at the other WA, trillions in debt, need to borrow trillions more, or we will shut down the gov't. in a few months. Yet we pay those folks well, elect them and put them in office, and yet they are the one's to decide who can and cannot have a gun.

About 3 years ago,a guy came back from the sand box,went to the bank to see why he hadn't been paid.
Simple right?
But you can't ask the girl for your money,even if it is your money,while pointing a gun to her head.
As it worked out the manager stepped in front of the teller and calmed the situation.And he was taken down outside.

Now he obviously came back with a little anger problem.Can't say as I blame him. Maybe a little mental deficiency?
Probably that too. The existing laws state that if you have mental issues you can't have a gun.
And you think that someone who has been killing folk for the last year and now has some severe mental problems should be able to walk around with a gun?
How about the guy at Costco? Highly trained and he didn't think he should just do as the police said? After he'd been doing the same thing for the last year?
I believe he must have had more issues than were showing.
Remember,some soldiers were forced into the military or go to prison.Some of those probably wouldn't be able to own a gun anyway.

Citizens,veterans,cops,politicians,judges all need to be mentally competent to own guns.
But hey that's just my view. YMMV

This isn't "you can't be responsible with money so you don't get a gun." It's "you are so mentally challenged from your injuries/traumas that you can't even be entrusted with your paycheck." I am sure a lot of those people are still safe with their own firearms. I doubt most are.

I hope they fix the system to be a little more sensitive to which ones are safe with guns vs those that aren't. I also hope they fix it so that those that may have been temporarily unfit can easily have their rights restored after healing or learning to cope with their challenges. I don't fully agree with how the people fighting it are phrasing the issue, but I am grateful they're standing up for our veterans rights.

Hopefully this paves the way for wider reform for the greater population to be able to have gun rights lost due to medical issues restored.

Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) hopes to stop a major defense spending bill in its tracks now that Democrats have added an amendment that allows them to take away the guns of certain military veterans. <broken link removed>

In short they say vets who can't handle their own financial affairs will be denied their gun rights and be entered into the background check system preventing them from owning firearms. If this stems from a true situation that they are mentally ill to the point that they aren't mentally stable and are suicidal/hell bent on murder that is one thing, if this means that they don't always pay their bills on time or are too broke to make their payments that is another thing entirely.
This amendment allows the VA to determine the competence of vets and place them into the background system - so how does this work? If you go to the VA for treatment of cancer or a hip replacement and can't pay the bill on time they strip your 2A rights? I guess that's one way to make sure they get paid.

Senator Coburn (R-OK) said that he will introduce legislation that will undo the singling out of vets.

Vets have been treated like garbage from day one. Nothing surprises me. Why someone would want to be one now is beyond comprehension. Like working for the worst boss in the world. "LLL" low pay, lies, and lunacy. That is not a political statement, just a historically accurate statement of fact.

Vets have been treated like garbage from day one. Nothing surprises me. Why someone would want to be one now is beyond comprehension. Like working for the worst boss in the world. "LLL" low pay, lies, and lunacy. That is not a political statement, just a historically accurate statement of fact.

protecting their and everyones family for starters:s0160: even though they have to put up with :bsflag: better there then here

No detailed response necessary for that and out of the realm of this forum; would lead to political jibber jabber. Let's just say I feel for the individual but the justifications/cause 'fighting for freedoms' is all nonsense. Last post on that due to respect for the individuals only who are fooled into believing such nonsense. Just because the majority of people are propagandized into believing something is reality does not make it so.

These vets that can't "manage" their money are given "help" by the VA. They are appointed a fiduciary by the VA and that person directs how the vet spends their disability money, only that money given them by the VA
This happened months ago; some fiduciary, through illegal means, had some of her vets placed on the NICS list because she felt like the vets were unable to (in HER opinion) handle the responsibility of purchasing a firearm. Whether they were or weren't is up for debate, but it was NOT her job to decide that.
A person, ANY person, vet or not, that is mentally incapable of handling their own finances due to trauma is also mentally incapable of purchasing a weapon. This isn't about a vet that isn't paying their bills on time, it's about vets that have no one else to care for them and has to have help caring for themselves.

Burt
If you really had respect for the people you speak of, you wouldn't talk like that about them. That's like say "With all due respect....." and then going on to say something disrespectful or argumentative

America Screws Its Veterans, Strips Their 2A Rights

Actually it's the "progressive liberal gun grabbers" and the entitlement voters they bribed to stay in office that's doin' the Screwin', and it ain't just the vets they want to strip the A2 rights from..........

I'm afraid this may just be the tip of the iceberg. Obama has been adamant about making all health records accessible from an electronic data base. It's not too much of a stretch to expand this legislation to everyone. How about credit reports next? Some insurance companies allready use your credit report to determine your rates for car insurance. Will that be a determining factor for the ability to purchase a gun?

HIPAA law still puts the decision of who gets what info about your medical issues squarley in your hands. BTW, by and large medical records are already in an electronic database. Nonetheless, you are the end all be all of your own medical info. If you want info shared it's completely up to you when and how much.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top