JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If anyone has the Audible App and likes audible books from Amazon, I would highly recommend A Wind in the House of Islam.

There is no escaping the reality of Christianity and Islam past and present, but aside from the Christian message within, the historical perspective of Islam is the best I have ever heard. Regardless of your position, this is very educational.

61OUR52QgBL._AA300_.jpg

Some good suggestions on here for sure. Though I have to keep in mind some of my closest friends have been really suprised by movies I enjoy. Here are some of the Amazon ones I liked:

1. There is no place like Utopia (Political documentary, about Obama: Not a attention grabber, but a few things in there are great reminder of why it wont work.)
2. Saint Ralph (Great movie about running (something I love) and puberty (something I hated)).
3. Bandits (Kinda fun and has some local flavor... "Beavers and Ducks!!!")
4. And my favorite, but is a series not a movie: Man in the High Castle. Amazing 2 seasons so far! Don't watch it on a work night, careful of the binge watch!

I am sure I will think of more...

"Battle For Sevastalop" is one of the best I've watched on Prime. If its still on it might be in the documentary section as its based on
a true story. WWII Russian sniper with 309 confirmed kills. Lyudmila Pavlichenko - Wikipedia

Okay, I'm about half-way through this movie. Seems to be a good one. I do find their movie editing a bit odd/choppy and some of their dubbing of english speaking actors over english spoken words is really off (especially in the scene where the Russian soldiers are being interviewed in America). Beyond that, it's an interesting story, looking forward to the 2nd half.

As for the guns, I have a comment and a question.

First, the comment - when we first see Ludya shooting the Mosin at the range, as she squeezes off her first shot, it looks like she's shooting a .22 - almost no recoil. Too bad they couldn't make that look at least a bit more realistic.

Second, the question - she is awarded a semi-auto rifle at one point. I can't get a good look at it, but I'm not familiar with Soviet WWII era semi-auto rifles - anyone have an idea what rifle that is?

4. And my favorite, but is a series not a movie: Man in the High Castle. Amazing 2 seasons so far! Don't watch it on a work night, careful of the binge watch!

My wife and I have had this on our list for a while. We've watched 1 episode, but haven't had time to go further, just too much stuff going on to add another series at the moment. We're hoping to get into it at some point though, it looks really interesting and definitely an interesting premise.

My wife and I have had this on our list for a while. We've watched 1 episode, but haven't had time to go further, just too much stuff going on to add another series at the moment. We're hoping to get into it at some point though, it looks really interesting and definitely an interesting premise.
Definitely an interesting premise. I tried reading the book before I got to far into the show, but it was a hard read for someone that doesn't read a lot. I am going to start reading it again at the end of summer.

First, the comment - when we first see Ludya shooting the Mosin at the range, as she squeezes off her first shot, it looks like she's shooting a .22 - almost no recoil. Too bad they couldn't make that look at least a bit more realistic.

Second, the question - she is awarded a semi-auto rifle at one point. I can't get a good look at it, but I'm not familiar with Soviet WWII era semi-auto rifles - anyone have an idea what rifle that is?

I noticed the lack of recoil myself. Must have been gallery loads. ;)

The semi-automatic rifle was a Tokarev SV-40. SVT-40_-_Ryssland_-_AM.032865.jpg
They only used them for a short time because they were pretty inaccurate and had quite a muzzle flash. She never actually used one in the field because of that but a picture was taken of her holding one after she started instructing and the rumor took off from there. She used a Mosin for all her kills.
Lyudmila-Pavlichenko.jpg

I noticed the lack of recoil myself. Must have been gallery loads. ;)

The semi-automatic rifle was a Tokarev SV-40. View attachment 377720
They only used them for a short time because they were pretty inaccurate and had quite a muzzle flash. She never actually used one in the field because of that but a picture was taken of her holding one after she started instructing and the rumor took off from there. She used a Mosin for all her kills.
View attachment 377721

Interesting, never heard of that one. Looks like that rifle may be a relative of the SKS?

So I tried to watch The Hitman's Bodyguard - Wikipedia
about four times and only made it to about 12 minutes all told. I tried. There's some big names in the movie and plenty of "action" but it's so over the top with cheap CGI and blatant political oofda, it comes as no real wonder that it was bankrolled by China. what a terrible fail

I tried reading the book before I got to far into the show, but it was a hard read for someone that doesn't read a lot. I am going to start reading it again at the end of summer.

Re: "Man in the High Castle"
I barely got though the book (terrible in my opinion) but both my wife and I enjoyed the show!

I got the Amazon App, which told me it wouldn't work.
Get and Install the Underground Amazon App ( from Amazon ), so now I have 3
Amazon, Amazon Underground and Amazon Kindle
Underground says nope, need Prime video,
So Now I have 4 apps, but for some reason it is Prime Video, not Amazon Prime Video.

And intrusive permissions.

Still no video.

Why not?

For $100 / year it should not be this hard.

( Tablet for use when not on wifi ... off line mode / airplane mode )

I have watched on Android and on Chromebook by using a browser. Try whichever browser is on the tablet to go to Amazon and log in from there.

I liked the Night Manager, Man in the high castle, The Last tycoon, Sneaky Pete, and I'm sure some others. They have quite a selection. Don't think I have ever tried the movies since I get any I want to see on disc, make a copy, so I can watch when ready.

I agree with you, the book was a let down compared to the TV series.....

Philip K Dick wrote quite a few novels that I have loved the movie / series. The Adjustment Bureau, Minority Report, and High Castle being by far some of my favorite screen adaptions. But I have yet to read any of his books, Kept trying with High Castle, but I loose it about Chapter 2. Maybe I will try The Minority Report...

+1 to The Man in the High Castle. It may diverge from the original book, but, dang, what a series. I've binge watched the first two seasons when they came out and am looking forward to the third. If one is a fellow history nerd, and/or enjoys alternative history or dystopian fiction, you will not be disappointed.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top