JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't be too excited about the 300-MP loading data. I believe it was shot in a 10" contender barrel or something. Real world comparison with W-296 in my 6" GP-100 shows it to be maybe 50 to 75 fps faster than a similar W-296 load. Both of them chronographed in the 1350 to 1400 fps range with 158 gr Hornady XTP bullets. Still, 300-MP is a very good powder and seems accurate, too. It just isn't the show stopper the Alliant loading data might lead you to believe.
Maybe you missed this part:
One question. Being I'm shooting these out of a rifle I understand the velocity is increased. The box states not to exceed 1200. I have no way of telling exactly how fast my loads are going but id guess around 1700 or so. Im still doing about 5in groups standing up with no rest. What would the results of to much speed be to the bullet?

If he gets himself some jacketed bullets, he is likely to see the same kind of "real world" velocities we have.
They are exceptional, and considerably better than we got using W296, BlueDot, PowerPro and Unique.
But they're not out of 6" GP100 either. ;)

After you pick up some jacketed bullets, you might see if you can find some of Alliant's 300-MP.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Since we started using 300-MP we're using the BlueDot elsewhere.
If your local BiMart doesn't carry it, they can order it in. Ours did.

What are it's advantages VS Blue Dot? I'm getting set up to get into 44 Mag and 454 Casull revolvers as well as our existing .357s so I'm interested in any ballistic improvements, lower muzzle flash, etc

I believe that 300MP is very similar to H110 or W296, if not identical. I've read in print, but you know how that is, that the 296 and H110 are the same. My results lead me to believe that.

Also, I think that if the gun's right and the rest of the reloading Gods are in agreement, the rifle should be able to get close to 1900 fps with a slower powder and a 158gr bullet.

I'd back it up better, but I'm short on time now.

What are it's advantages VS Blue Dot? I'm getting set up to get into 44 Mag and 454 Casull revolvers as well as our existing .357s so I'm interested in any ballistic improvements, lower muzzle flash, etc
Blue Dot is not a super slow burning powder and also has a documented history of being, shall we say, a little touchy on the top end. Alliant no longer recommends it for 125 gr JHP loads in the .357 Magnum and doesn't recommend it at all for the .41 Magnum. I have used a lot of Winchester 296 and Hodgdon's H-110 in my .357 Magnums and .44 Magnums over the years. I also loaded a bunch of Accurate No.9 both commercial and surplus. It also worked very well with the .357 Magnum and .44 Magnums. I recently was lucky enough to buy a couple of pounds of Alliant 2400 which I have never used before. I also never got around to trying IMR or H-4227. If I was going to load the .44 Mag and .454 Casull today, I would try Alliant 300-MP first, as I believe it is slightly slower burning than 296/H-110. It does give a nice fireball out of my 6" GP-100, but no worse really than 296/H-110. I believe the Accurate No. 9 was a little better in that regard. If you want milder loads, I enjoyed shooting Unique or Universal Clays with 240 gr cast bullets out of my .44 Magnums. (I don't have them anymore, and haven't loaded for anything heavier than the .357 Mag or .45 ACP in handguns for the past several years.) I do look forward to giving my new GP-100 a workout this spring with a nice comparison of W-296, 300-MP and 2400 once the weather and time permits. I hope I can find some more Hornady XTP bullets before then (or Nosler or Sierra or Speer).

Well solved my bullet problem. I met this guy at Sportsmans warehouse 2 months ago in the reloading section. I hadn't purchased my kit yet and he was pointing out pros/cons, gave me his number in case I wanted to expand my knowledge a bit. I decided it was time to see a pro in the works and gave him a call. Learned way more than I thought I would and came home with 1/2 pound of IMR 4227 and 350 nosler 158g JHP's..... Now I can really play with some loads. On top of that bimart had magnum small pistol primers in today!
I didn't think this thread would expand so far, thanks for all the advice and personal tips guys!
Shane

Blue Dot is not a super slow burning powder and also has a documented history of being, shall we say, a little touchy on the top end. Alliant no longer recommends it for 125 gr JHP loads in the .357 Magnum and doesn't recommend it at all for the .41 Magnum. I have used a lot of Winchester 296 and Hodgdon's H-110 in my .357 Magnums and .44 Magnums over the years. I also loaded a bunch of Accurate No.9 both commercial and surplus. It also worked very well with the .357 Magnum and .44 Magnums. I recently was lucky enough to buy a couple of pounds of Alliant 2400 which I have never used before. I also never got around to trying IMR or H-4227. If I was going to load the .44 Mag and .454 Casull today, I would try Alliant 300-MP first, as I believe it is slightly slower burning than 296/H-110. It does give a nice fireball out of my 6" GP-100, but no worse really than 296/H-110. I believe the Accurate No. 9 was a little better in that regard. If you want milder loads, I enjoyed shooting Unique or Universal Clays with 240 gr cast bullets out of my .44 Magnums. (I don't have them anymore, and haven't loaded for anything heavier than the .357 Mag or .45 ACP in handguns for the past several years.) I do look forward to giving my new GP-100 a workout this spring with a nice comparison of W-296, 300-MP and 2400 once the weather and time permits. I hope I can find some more Hornady XTP bullets before then (or Nosler or Sierra or Speer).

I thank you for your post but as of yet I have no solid reason for switching, have used Blue Dot for 25 + years in .357 with excellent results

Il defiantly be working with what I have, this weekend going to try 10. grains of bluedot, cci magnum primer, and the nosler 158g bullets. Should be a beautiful combo. We'll see!

Like others have said, you may not see much advantage in any gun with a shorter barrel. They may result in an increased fireball too. I dunno.
But with a 44 mag Super BlackHawk 7.5", a ~120fps increase was realized with 200gr JHPs.
In magnum-pistol chambered rifles, it seems to be even better.

I've used the old Blue Dot formulation for 28 years for 9MM +P, 45 ACP +P and 125 grain full house .357 loads with zero problems. I am willing to look at other powders for the big bore but at this time remain unconvinced anything is wrong with Blue Dot if you are a careful reloader

Like others have said, you may not see much advantage in any gun with a shorter barrel. They may result in an increased fireball too. I dunno.
But with a 44 mag Super BlackHawk 7.5", a ~120fps increase was realized with 200gr JHPs.
In magnum-pistol chambered rifles, it seems to be even better.

BD does make a pretty big fireball out of my gal's 3 inch magnums.. but not so much in 6 inch + barrels

Since you asked! 308win., I use the same dose for any bullet in the working range. Have tested from 130gr.
Speer hp to 168 Sierra and Nosler. Bluedot 19grs. Yes, reduced velocity, but very accurate. I use fed-match
Primers. Very nice at 100yds. More details available,thx

Thanks a lot! Currently going to compare imr 4895 with CFE223 for .223 rem with nosler 55g varmageddons tonight. BUT, il be doing the same soon with .308, since I have bluedot I can try that as well.

I like cfe223. I like to shoot a couple down the bore before I shoot whatever am testing. Somehow coates the bore for easier cleanup. Suprisingly accurate too, with the bullets I have tried. Cfe223 is not available here in Eug. More testing required.

Just saw some at Big R in Redmond last night. Ive heard before it was a coveted powder so I grabbed one. Ran home and the nosler book had loads for the nosler bullet, perfect. Its an interesting powder, well, being new its all different/interesting to me.

Am a bi-mart componant shopper. They will not stock Cfe223. My 308 is an inexpensive Savage mod 10 le to which I have added a custom trigger and a Choate sniper stock. Strictly a bench gun, too heavy for hunting. This rifle likes 46grs of Cfe223 with 168 sierra match bullets. Primer is win std lr.

I hear you. I've not seen any powder at Bi-Mart for about a year. I think Promo is available online at various places and just the other day I spied a few bottles of RD at NW Armory but I'm all good so didn't check price.
I'm glad it's halfway shunned as it's been my favorite powder for a long time.. and is generally very available and common everywhere.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews