JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any input on Alliants bluedot powder. Ive loaded about 150 rounds of .357 and 10 of .38+p, the 357 burned decent with just a slight bit of un burnt powder, the .38+p was terrible. All I can find was blue dot so that's what ive used. Also using Winchester small pistol primers.... Only ones available as well.
Anyone have any suggestions on successful powder?

Currently also shooting .357 out of a ruger 357/77 rifle.
Thanks guys/gals

It's my go-to 357 powder, max velocities are possible.. note the formulation was altered a few years ago, so use the new Blue Dot with the new load data

You will have a huge fireball/flash, that goes along with Blue Dot max loads. I would use only magnum primers, myself

I think that is my main problem, using standard primers. I cannot seem to find any magnum. Any recommendation on what to look for? Very new to all this, started with .357 and now working on .223.
Thanks for the reply Blitzkrieg.

Also forgot to add that I'm using the Nosler 7th ed manual and fresh bought bluedot. Following the manual, I use 9.9grn with a 158g bullet. Haven't tried max load yet, just minor and medium.

If you come across some Unique it works also. The two are what I use for all my handgun loads.
The unburnt powder depends on length of barrel also, but the magnum primers would help.

Also forgot to add that I'm using the Nosler 7th ed manual and fresh bought bluedot. Following the manual, I use 9.9grn with a 158g bullet. Haven't tried max load yet, just minor and medium.

Hunting, self defense or target loads?

As you work your loads up look for abnormally flattened primers and especially cratered primers.. back off if you see that and pull and salvage any such remaining loads

Mostly just producing loads, just to learn the process. once I can find higher quality bullets I'll be aiming towards hunting loads. I've been measuring the cases and looking at primers. Everything looks great and staying in spec. Just very dirty it seems.

They may be dirty due to incomplete burning from the standard primer. Blue Dot has always been pretty clean burning for me. 158 or heavier would be best for deer, my loads are for my gal's defensive revolvers, so they are full house 125 grain JHPs, the best manstopper

Yeah ive just been blasting the 158g FN berrys bullets. Im hoping my buddy at nosler will get a box of the 158g hollow points they make for me. This Ruger has become my truck gun. Soon as it gets colder Il be blasting jackrabbits and coyotes with it. I plan on getting my girl a decent .357 revolver as well and will be looking into some nice defense loads for her.

One question. Being I'm shooting these out of a rifle I understand the velocity is increased. The box states not to exceed 1200. I have no way of telling exactly how fast my loads are going but id guess around 1700 or so. Im still doing about 5in groups standing up with no rest. What would the results of to much speed be to the bullet?

I have been reloading for the 357 for many years and thousand of rounds. For 'Magnum' loads I use to use 2400
but a few years ago I switched to H110 a because it is cleaner burning. I like the 125 grain JHP Remington
'Golden sabers' are as accurate as 158 JHP bullets. My favorite loads for the 357 are,
125 grain Golden Saber with 18.5 to 18.8 grains of H110 1.560 OAL magnum primers
158 SWC 5.8 grains of Unique Lite target load standard primers
I have used blue dot in Jacketed 9 mm loads

I used Blue Dot for years pushing cast 220gr bullets in the .41 Mag. Was disappointed when it was changed and the 41 Mag was excluded.
I use 11 gr of Blue Dot behind a Hornady 158gr XTP with a magnum primer in my 357. It's a Max load, so don't start there!
If I remember correctly, this combo makes about 1200 fps out of my 4" 686.

I used to have a 41 Mag carbine. It was capable of 1800fps with a load that would go 1300fps out of a 6" revolver. I believe the OP's estimate of 1700fps out of his rifle is reasonable. I'd bet there is a possibility of the plating stripping off of the bullet at higher speeds. I'd not run them at that speed just because I don't like to scrub lead!

I've used several other powders in the Magnums, and H110 is really my favorite (I don't usually load a reduced anything). But it's been a little tough to find for a while.

If you want to use Blue Dot, or any of the other high performance powders in your .357 rifle, you probably should find some real jacketed bullets, or some hard cast. From what I have heard, the plated bullets can lose their plating at higher than recommended velocity and result in extreme fouling and even possible high pressure if pushed too hard. Are cast bullets permitted in the Ruger? I would think a nice hard cast 158 or 180 gr bullet would work well and save the plated for .38 special or target .357 loads with a faster burning powder like Tite Group or HP-38 to keep the velocity within suggested levels.

I like what 2ndtimer said. I thought about this later with respect that you are shooting this in a rifle. I would use a very tough bullet, as the bullet makers make bullets based mostly on handgun velocities, not rifle. When I want a tough handgun bullet, I use the Hornady XTP. Barnes would be worth a look, too.
Blue Dot will work well for this. Because of the longer barrel though, I'd think that a slower powder, like 296 or H110, would be best.
Ruger tells you not to use reloaded ammunition in their rifles. Whatever. :cool: Being as this .357 rifle has the same twist as the revolvers (1:16) and the fact that Ruger uses standard rifling, I'd not hesitate to use cast bullets.

My only concern would actually be when using loads that are on the light side, especially soft .38 Specials. The rifle has a barrel that's about 3 to 9 times longer than a handgun. Sure wouldn't want to stick a bullet cuz it ran outta steam!

If the Berrys are not TMJ the lead base will indeed melt at higher pressures/heat. You MAY be able to reduce this with a small smear of moly grease or Lees bullet lube on the bases, but that's an extra step

Awesome thanks for all this advice just what I wanted!!!

Its great to hear what was successful for others, someday il try it.
As far as the bullets... I figured the berrys were crap because they were the only thing that has been available in central Oregon these last 2 months. I definitely don't plan on buying them again, and staying at medium to low power loads. I actually just cleaned the Ruger after 75 of these rounds have been fired last night. Everything looked great, nice shiny clean barrel. At the time, and currently I browse Bi-mart, Sportsmans, and Big R for powders, bullets and primers. But all I've managed to get is this Bluedot, standard primers, and these berrys bullets( that always seem to be in stock)... I really appreciate the advice. When I first got this rifle my buddy gave me some .357mag weak wadcutter loads. The bullets was flat with the case, and sounded like I had a suppressor on. They shot good, didn't jam.

I wouldn't say that the Berry bullets are crap, just think what their intended purpose is. Inexpensive bullets for plinking that shouldn't lead up the barrel as much as a plain ol' lead bullet. My experience shows this to be true in a standard cartridge. (38 Special, 45 ACP) I haven't had great luck with commercially cast bullets when it comes to leaving tons of lead in the barrel, but I don't have that problem with the plated ones.
If you've got a bunch of plated bullets to shoot, or are planning on shooting some, just back the throttle off a bit and have some fun!

After you pick up some jacketed bullets, you might see if you can find some of Alliant's 300-MP.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Since we started using 300-MP we're using the BlueDot elsewhere.
If your local BiMart doesn't carry it, they can order it in. Ours did.

Don't be too excited about the 300-MP loading data. I believe it was shot in a 10" contender barrel or something. Real world comparison with W-296 in my 6" GP-100 shows it to be maybe 50 to 75 fps faster than a similar W-296 load. Both of them chronographed in the 1350 to 1400 fps range with 158 gr Hornady XTP bullets. Still, 300-MP is a very good powder and seems accurate, too. It just isn't the show stopper the Alliant loading data might lead you to believe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top